UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2003, 8:41 pm   #1
Leon_Crampin

Default Tuning drivecord replacement options.

Most radios due for restoration need the tuning drive cord replacing, and the correct braided glass fibre cord is becoming difficult to obtain. I have tried monofilament nylon fishing line on various occasions, but without any great success due to its being too stretchy and giving insufficient grip around the control spindle.

Our friends the anglers have obviously also found basic nylon to be limited in its performance, and there is now quite a variety on offer. I bought a reel of Greased Weasel 50 lb line 0.665 mm dia (40m about £3) made by Drennan, and decided to give this a try.

My subject was a Philips 141U (usual slightly nutty Philips drive). This was assembled with one extra turn around the control spindle. The drive functions perfectly, without any excessive slip in use or tendency for the extra turn to ride up - I think the slightly smaller diameter helps here. The Drennan material is much less stretchy than plain nylon, and has stayed at the correct tension. As tuning drives have an incredible diversity of layouts, other applications may behave differently.

Old 20th Feb 2003, 1:31 pm   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Fishing line in tuning drives.

Hi Everyone,
I have employed thin nylon cord of the type used for kites,in a number of sets over the years with no problems.
As Leon recommends, I have found an additional turn around the tuning knob spindle is necessary to ensure the cord grips properly.
This type of stranded cord is useful in the fact that you can thread the end through itself if a small,slim loop is required.
When my stock is gone I will have to try the fishing line.
Regards.
Tim
Old 20th Feb 2003, 6:46 pm   #3
ecc84
Retired Dormant Member

if you run out give this link a try

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/oldradioparts/oddsnsods.htm

tuning cord 30p a metre (bargain)

get some now i am

darren stewart
Old 9th Mar 2003, 11:27 pm   #4
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

I was told somewhere (probably on this site!!) that the correct thread for Tuning Drives is Linen Thread. I can provide this at 20p metre if you send me a SAE. Contact me at my e-mail address. Paul
Old 22nd Apr 2003, 2:27 pm   #5
staresy
Triode

I have used DACRON fishing cord, 16Ib breaking strain. Works a treat, doesn't stretch and grips all spindles well.
Have just finished the dreaded Philips 353A :P with this stuff.... works a treat.

PS: if anyone else is tackling this beast, I can supply a hand-drawn sketch of the correct dial-cord routing if required
Old 23rd Mar 2005, 4:03 pm   #6
Ken
Hexode

Hi All

I have used a fishing line called "Economy Backing" made by "Masterline". It has a breaking strain of 20lbs. I origionally bought it because it most resembled the cord I was replacing and it did not seem to stretch much. I have also used it where part of the origional cord was made from thin steel wire. Don't know what it's made from but it seems to be synthetic as it melts.

Regards,

Ken.
Old 23rd Mar 2005, 5:10 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Just to add to Leon's original post, I've used ordinary monofilament nylon line to restring radios without problems. The slight stretchiness actually seems to help it grip the tuning shaft, though I'm sure that this could cause problems if the stringing arrangement is very complex.

The main drawback with monofilament as far as I'm concerned is it looks completely wrong. It's very cheap though - £2 will buy you enough to restring hundreds of radios.

Best regards, Paul
Old 23rd Mar 2005, 6:39 pm   #8
Panrock
Nonode

I've had a lot of trouble when using monofilament in the past - too curly and springy and thus too fiddly for my large hands when applying.

I'm now trying RS 554-080 rayon-cored lacing cord which is black and seems to work fine so far.
Old 25th Mar 2005, 7:24 am   #9
McIntyre
Retired Dormant Member

Can't a person buy dial cord anymore? I was under the impression that the stuff is still made. I checked (by phone) at all 4 local electric shops in town and 3 of these shops stocked it - varying from 0,1 to 0,15 Pounds per metre. The remaining shop said that he could order if I was desperate. Why not use the the proper stuff? I'm sure that someone in the UK should still be making and selling the stuff?
Old 25th Mar 2005, 9:03 am   #10
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I've still not used up my old stock of RS stuff (509-787), but when I do, Huddersfield market has a stall with all sorts of different fishing lines, so there should not be a problem.
Old 25th Mar 2005, 4:34 pm   #11
Aerodyne
Octode

Geoff Davies sells 'proper' stuff. He's not on the net but can be contacted on 01788 574774. He's a dealer, based in Rugby. Lists are available if you ask. I've always had good service from him. No connection, though!

-Tony
Old 11th Apr 2005, 7:58 pm   #12
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

I've used "Spider Wire" fishing line in dial cord repairs. It is a woven line, and works well. I've used it in a number of sets, valve and transistor, with good results. The only point to note, is that you sometimes need to put an extra turn around the spindle behind the tuning knob.

Jim.
Old 14th Apr 2005, 9:10 am   #13
newlite4
Octode

I have acqired a quantity of 'Cardylon Trace Wire' which is nylon covered steel wire. It seems to grip when wrapped around a spindle a few times. Due to its 14Kg breaking strain it may be useful in communications receivers and other larger types. I will have spools of this on my stall at Willand on Sunday if anyone wants to give it a try.
Neil
Old 8th Dec 2005, 8:58 pm   #14
Station X

I used "Golden Marlin New Super Formula Flyline Backing FLI-51020" with a breaking strain of 20 lbs. This is a braided type line, not monofilament. Similar stuff is sold as kite string. It cost me £5.00 for 50 metres, which works out at 10P a metre. It's doing an excellent job in a Geloso VFO I restrung.

I'll send 3 metres of it to anyone who sends me a stamped self addressed envelope plus an additional first class stamp.

PM me for my address.

Graham.
Old 11th Dec 2005, 1:19 pm   #15
octode
Retired Dormant Member

I use ordinary waxed thread (same stuff as used for wax jackets etc), its very strong and practically the same as dial cord and you can get a big reel of it for a couple of quid from your local Haberdasher.
Old 11th Dec 2005, 2:59 pm   #16
Station X

Quote:
I use ordinary waxed thread (same stuff as used for wax jackets etc), its very strong and practically the same as dial cord and you can get a big reel of it for a couple of quid from your local Haberdasher.
I tried that as well, along with several other types of thread such as that used to "draw up" curtain headers (the bit the hooks fit into). The trouble I found is that being spun these threads tend to seperate out into their individual strands. The original drive cord in my set was woven or braided, which stops this happening. Thats why I settled on the backing line which is braided.

Use whatever works for you, or what you have to hand.

Graham.
Closed Thread