UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2007, 5:05 pm   #1
Alf
Hexode

Default Atm T3903

I'm currently restoring a pair of ATM T3903's, there's a picture of one of them here:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/atm/t3903.htm

Inside, there's an Every Ready battery, a type which I've never come across before. Does anyone know if they're still obtainable? They seem to be fully enclosed in bitumen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batt3.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	11577  
Old 17th Aug 2007, 5:10 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Atm T3903

So, these phones were still in use in 1967 then? Very interesting

Nice-looking phone too. Seems to a be a 200-series body on a standard bellset housing, with a magneto generator squashed in between!

I like the sound of the "Ministry of Power" too
Old 17th Aug 2007, 5:15 pm   #3
Alf
Hexode

Surprisingly, there's still a tenth of a volt in the battery, I'm not really well up on telephones, I've got them ringing each other, about to get them talking to each other now, hopefully.
Old 17th Aug 2007, 7:37 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I would be very surprised if the three-volt battery was still obtainable. It looks an interesting project for creating a reproduction. I think two "D" cells (or "C" cells if Ds are too big) in series is the nearest you're going to get these days.
Old 17th Aug 2007, 8:47 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Alf, as the battery is "flameproof", I suspect it has a current limiting resistor fitted inside. This was so that, if the battery was short circuited, the energy in the spark was insufficient to ignite the gasses that were present.
It may however have been something crafty with the battery construction - anyone know the mechinism?

Ed
Old 17th Aug 2007, 8:59 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
I'm currently restoring a pair of ATM T3903's...

...Inside, there's an Every Ready battery, a type which I've never come across before. Does anyone know if they're still obtainable? They seem to be fully enclosed in bitumen.
I know this isn't much help, but it looks (from the dimensions) like two of those square-section field-telephone cells (used in types 'F' and 'J': 'Battery, Dry, 1.5V No:12, 6135-99-910-1135 Crompton-Parkinson, South Shields) encapsulated in bitumen.
I have two very corroded versions manufactured in 1981. Perhaps you might obtain a couple and use them together, if they're not too tall. The No:12 is 35 mm x 35mm x 95mm, and the number on the casing looks like a NATO stock number, so they might still be made.

I used to use those 3V cycle-lamp batteries in my field-telephones (the ones with the brass bulb-contact between the cells and the brass switch contact on the top, the number of which I can't be bothered to look up), then I used two 'C'-cells in a plastic holder. Not authentic, but practical!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 17th Aug 2007, 9:58 pm   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
I know this isn't much help, but it looks (from the dimensions) like two of those square-section field-telephone cells...
Thinking about it a little more, I used to have a set of intrinsically safe type -'J' 'civilian' field-telephones from Haig Pit, Whitehaven, manufactured by the British Ericcson Coy (ISTR). The battery chamber on them was identical in size to that of the 'Army' type-'J' I currently have, and from which I retrieved the No:12 cell for a peep.

I wouldn't be surprised if your intrinsically-safe battery was used for them, in which case, two No:12's should do it. I'm only saying this because it might be easier to obtain a No:12 than your intrinsically-safe bitumenised version!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 17th Aug 2007, 10:30 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If you can't find original No12s, "batterymaker1" on this forum has produced some nice reproduction ones for my field telephones. Perhaps you could enquire whether he can help you out.

If you want to revive an existing No12, the cell inside is pretty much identical to the four inside a 996 lantern battery, though I have to admit that I have not actually tried resoldering the terminals to a new cell.
Old 17th Aug 2007, 11:18 pm   #9
Alf
Hexode

Thanks for the comments guys, I've decided, and already started, to remove the internal stuff and attempt a reconstruction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reccobat.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	11581  
Old 21st Aug 2007, 11:36 pm   #10
Alf
Hexode

Thought I'd show you the "before" and "after" pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oldphones002.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	11690   Click image for larger version

Name:	rec2fone.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	11691  
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 10:30 am   #11
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Thought I'd show you the "before" and "after" pictures.
Loverly... What was the horrible white gunge around the cradles, and how did you get shot of it? Are you going to fit more appropriate dial-plate inserts? What condition were the 'innards' of the telephones in, and did you need to replace anything inside (I'm thinking of perished rubber insulation)?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 12:25 pm   #12
Alf
Hexode

I'm not really sure what that white stuff was around the cradle, possibly it was due to moisture and it's reaction with brass metal under the cradle, I've really no idea.

I was told that they'd been on a shelf in a garage for the best part of forty years, and they looked like they might've been! Moving parts were immovable, seized up in fact. The insides weren't too bad, just the odd bits of wiring were decayed and needed replacing. The magneto's hadn't seized up, they were
working very well. The dialler label was just a bit of artistic licence, when I can replace them, I will.

Here's a few more pics of one of them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fone1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	11697   Click image for larger version

Name:	mag1.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	11698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Telbase1.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	11699  
Old 25th Aug 2007, 3:58 pm   #13
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
.I used to use those 3V cycle-lamp batteries in my field-telephones (the ones with the brass bulb-contact between the cells and the brass switch contact on the top, the number of which I can't be bothered to look up), then I used two 'C'-cells in a plastic holder. Not authentic, but practical!
ISTR 800 was the bike lamp battery. I used them for LT batteries in the late 60s (rewired in parallel...) - they were the best value, pound for pound of any battery I think. Certainly MUCH cheaper than similarly sized AD35s!

Chris
Old 26th Aug 2007, 11:33 pm   #14
Alf
Hexode

Yes, I re-call the 3v, N° 800 cycle lamp battery, I'm sure that externally they would work very well, however in this case, I wanted a battery that would fit inside one of the phones, the original one fits nicely. The 800 wouldn't have fitted.
Old 31st Oct 2007, 3:55 am   #15
mickash
Hexode

These phones were still in use at local Derbyshire collieries in the mid 70s in the surface offices. I visited one such pit with my dad in about 1975 and remember seeing one of these phones being used. The phones were connected in parallel with the bells rung in bursts of different amounts to indicate which other phone was being rung. Any phone could be picked up and the conversation listened to (no privacy possible!!) I ended up with a couple of these phones when a local pit closed but never got round to connecting them together.
Closed Thread