UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2018, 2:35 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Is this Britains oldest working oven?

Reading the Daily Mail today , I came across an article about a vintage cooker still in daily use after 60 years.
The cooker was bought in 1959 (New world gas cooker)and the only replacement part ever fitted was a thermostat 20 years ago.
Not sure I would really want a 60 year old gas cooker in daily use in my house but obviously this could be an exception.
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 3:32 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Daily Mail today, is this Britains oldest working oven?

Mine is a mid 60s Cannon 145 which I acquired with the house 30 years ago. There's been no reason to replace it up till now, but sadly the thermostat has recently become unreliable so it's about to go to the great kitchen in the sky. It certainly owes me nothing.
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 7:24 pm   #3
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Wouldn't it have been converted from Town Gas to Natural Gas in the 1970s?
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 7:33 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I saw that, it was in other newspapers too.

My late grandmother had a gas cooker that looked pretty much the same, same style and layout of knobs, etc. But I am sure it was branded 'Parkinson Cowan'. Was there a connection between them and New World?

It was indeed converted to natural gas. I can't remember if the burners were replaced, or if just a shim was added (I do remember there being a shim in the new burners). The oven thermostat was also replaced with one with a 'Regulo' calibrated dial which drove my grandmother mad as she was used to the old one.

So it's possible the one in the article got a new thermostat when it was coverted and then another new one about 20 years later.
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 11:11 pm   #5
Silicon
Nonode

My mother is using a New World Radiation cooker. It looks as old and maybe older than the one in the Daily Mail.

Graces Guide shows an advert from 1953 which is basically the same but for the control knobs.

I will have a look and see if I can find a date or serial number on it.

I imagine forum member Paul_RK has something much older.
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 11:38 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

It will almost certainly have had new burners. Burners for natural gas normally need a secondary flame directed at the base of the main flame to prevent the main flame from lifting off the nozzle. I still have the conversion instructions that were left by the previous owners of our house (but not the appliances!), and they all involved fitting new burners.
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 11:46 pm   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon View Post
I imagine forum member Paul_RK has something much older.
Well, we've only once (1988-93) lived in a house with a gas supply: couldn't get the 1940s Radiation cooker that we found there to pass the required tests, but it's still with us, hiding in the garage. A very early '60s Belling Classic is currently on kitchen duty, but I've some thought of replacing it by a mid-'50s GEC that's just across the room. The two resident 1930s Revo cookers - one that suffered element failure in the first house we rented back in 1980-1, and the larger model that we enquired about and gave a home to after seeing it outside a front door waiting to be scrapped a year or two later - are firmly in retirement. At least for now...

Paul
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 9:58 am   #8
Brigham
Octode

My 1937 Jackson is STILL waiting to be connected-up, although it isn't gas, of course.
Has anyone got a spare cooker point of that era?
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 10:02 am   #9
locoian
Retired Dormant Member

With regards to Tony's question of were New world and Parkinson Cowan connected the answer is no

New World were part of the radiation group and there major gas cooker plants were in Leeds and Warrington. Parkinson Cowan were part of Allied Iron Foundries.

I served an apprenticeship as a toolmaker at the Leeds plant (called Wilson and Mathiesons) from 1966 to 1972, prior to leaving and going to university. Have since had a superb time in various branches of engineering, from the oil business to installing and commissioning HV switch gear via CNC machine rebuilding. I now busy myself with subcontract machining and making parts for preserved steam engines.

No demarcation between mechanical, electrical and electronics as far as I am concerned

Ian
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 10:38 am   #10
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Brigham, no cooker outlets that old I'm afraid, but I have some from the 50's

Ed
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 11:25 am   #11
AJSmith625
Pentode

Hello all, Parkinson Cowan had a large factory here in Stechford, East Birmingham. It closed sometime around the mid 90s if my memory is correct. It is now a retail park.

Alan
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 12:20 pm   #12
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Paul Sherwin - check the Thermostat near where its Control Knob is.
There is generally a small adjusting screw in that area to set the required temperature.

A turn either way to loosen up, then use an oven stat to check it is shutting down at the correct temperature. Use Gas Mark 4 when adjusting.
Cannon were good appliances.

We used to do this when a Stat was shutting down / operating at an incorrect temperature and it saved many a Customer having to replace the Thermostat.

The only maintenance old Gas Cookers need is rarely lubricating the Control Knobs with special (moly based) grease, taking care not to block any gas ways. Would do this is they became tightish to operate.

Good Luck - Mike
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 12:28 pm   #13
paulsherwin

Thanks for the tip Mike.
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 12:29 pm   #14
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Alan,

I worked for North Thames Gas in London, and remember going on a visit they arranged to that Parkinson Cowan Factory.

It was quite an operation. The one that still stands out was the Enamelling (now called Powder Coating) of the Panels. Then virtually all Panels were enamelled, now only a few with the others just sprayed.

It is sad that so much UK manufacturing has now transferred abroad, mainly due to labour costs.

Regards - Mike
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 1:11 pm   #15
McMurdo
Dekatron

New World used to be one of the brands made at the TI group, we had one up the road at Blythe Bridge some years ago. My cooker of choice in 'Home Ec' at Blythe high school was a TI New World. Ironic that the article quotes 'New World, the manufacturers' who can only be Glen Dimplex, the owner of the brand. I believe they farm out alot of cookers out to our Turkish friends at Vestel, the upmarket models being made at Robinson Willey; another of their brands and one of the few white goods makers to still manufacture in the UK.
Many tradesmen will refuse to connect outdated appliances it seems, so she's been lucky.
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 6:29 pm   #16
AJSmith625
Pentode

Hello Mike, Interesting to read of your visit to the Parkinson Cowan factory here in B'ham. Yes it was a big plant and employed many people and it was big news on local radio and tv when it closed. I went there once to buy some push in pilot light jets for our 1970s cooker. They reluctantly let me have 4, one for each burner FOC, as they had no facilities for taking cash from the general public, but suggested I might like to make a small contribution to their gratuity box which I did with pleasure. I was told in future I must order such parts through the then West Midlands Gas Board.

Alan
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 7:32 pm   #17
The Philpott
Dekatron

...Viz magazine and the Daily Mail run along such parallel lines- sometimes i wonder whether the latter actually play up to it!

White goods wise, my Hotpoint Iced diamond fridge (bought in 1996) almost got condemned at xmas- then i realised that it was just suffering a burst thermostat capillary and the new 'stat was still available for about £30 from espares- who incidentally delivered it the next day. Out of deference to the working range of the refrigerant i don't run it when the ambient is under 8C or over 35C (it's in the shed) however i cannot imagine how many times that little piston has gone up and down in 21 years. Quite impressed.
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 7:58 pm   #18
Martin Bush
Octode

Paul and everyone with an old cooker...

If its not too intrusive I'd be interested in seeing photos of said cookers. As someone with an interest in cooking (I am somewhat better at cooking than electronics) I'd find them fascinating.

Apart from radios I also gravitate to household appliances when I spot them in museums.
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 8:41 pm   #19
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
White goods wise, my Hotpoint Iced diamond fridge (bought in 1996) almost got condemned at xmas... Out of deference to the working range of the refrigerant i don't run it when the ambient is under 8C or over 35C (it's in the shed) however i cannot imagine how many times that little piston has gone up and down in 21 years. Quite impressed.
I'm not sure I'll have the heart to dispose of our Lec if it ever fails us. We've had it since 1981, when it cost £10 as it was already twenty or so years old. The only maintenance it's needed so far was the insertion of spacers in the hinges, when I realised that the reason it was icing up so quickly was that about a quarter of an inch of them had worn away putting the door seriously out of alignment. It doesn't seem to mind the ambient temperature falling to 5C or thereabouts, and that's about as cold as we'd want the kitchen to get in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush View Post
...If its not too intrusive I'd be interested in seeing photos of said cookers... Apart from radios I also gravitate to household appliances when I spot them in museums.
I'll see what I can do once the area is a bit less cluttered. I'm partial to museum displays too. Late last summer we spent a few days in Fakenham, unfortunately reduced to peering through the window of the town's Gas Museum at its selection of vintage cookers as lack of volunteers had led to its having to close early that day.

http://fakenhamgasmuseum.com/wp-cont...s-2-slider.jpg

Next time we'll be waiting for it to open...

Paul
Old 24th Jan 2018, 10:09 am   #20
Nymrod121
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoian View Post
" ... No demarcation between mechanical, electrical and electronics as far as I am concerned"
Hear, hear

Guy
Closed Thread