UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2018, 3:51 am   #1
IsquaredR
Tetrode

Default HP 3325A Function Generator- No square wave

Recently bought a Hewlett Packard HP 3325A function/sweep generator. I've got the operator manual but cannot find any reference to the following anomaly:
When selected the square wave generator causes a "source calibration error" with no signal on the output. Any one have any ideas on where to start? I can't find any reference to the meaning of a "source calibration error" so any guidance is certainly appreciated.
Old 17th Jan 2018, 4:51 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: HP 3325A Function Generator- No square wave

do the other waveforms all work?

For each of the others, can you vary the amplitude over the expected rnage? and does the amplitude out of the output socket match what you've selected?

I've not got any of the function generator circuitry in my head, so I can't be a lot of help, but I did have the job of revamping the Frac-N synthesiser in the 3325 around a new chipset. It must have been around 1996/1997.

David
Old 17th Jan 2018, 10:16 am   #3
dave cox
Nonode

I would start by re-seating all the inter-board ribbon connectors - I don't think they used especially good quality connectors, I think there were some recalls / rework on them. There is a bonus 15V supply to one of the boards that needs a check as well. The output attenuator relays can be troublesome but again some retro-fitting way have been applied. As Radio Wrangler says work through the attenuator range as there is probably another clue in there somewhere.

Setting it to 0.02Hz sinewave and connecting up a analogue storage scope at 5s/cm is impressive

dc
Old 17th Jan 2018, 10:21 am   #4
peter_scott
Dekatron

Service manual is here:
http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index...5A_Synthesizer

Peter
Old 17th Jan 2018, 11:17 pm   #5
IsquaredR
Tetrode

Thank you Peter, Dave and David.

My situation is that I have not received the function generator as yet but the problem with the square wave generator was described by the seller. I think he was being honest with me. He also stated that output was normal on all the other functions; only the square wave was defective and the SOURCE CALIBRATION ERROR annunciation that accompanied selection of the square wave function.

Good suggestion to reseat the ribbon connectors. That will be the first thing I try when it arrives (probably Friday of this week). I am also going to look into any retrofits and that bonus power supply. I so appreciate some areas at which to start my investigation.

I'll report back here what I find. Thanks so much, gentlemen. You guys on this forum are THE BEST.
Old 18th Jan 2018, 1:18 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

Don't forget to find and read the HP Journal article on the 3325A You'll find a lot of insight into how the beastie works.

David
Old 18th Jan 2018, 3:17 am   #7
IsquaredR
Tetrode

Many thanks again, David. I saw that HP Journal article on the Internet just last night but did not download it so I am looking for it again tonight per your recommendation. I could really use it, I am sure. This is a new game to me.

I also read some of your earlier comments here on the UK Vintage Radio forum about what you did professionally when redesigning the chip for the 3325. I am honored to be lucky enough to communicate with engineers of your stature.
Old 18th Jan 2018, 3:21 am   #8
IsquaredR
Tetrode

Just found the HP Journal article thanks to www.holzleitner.com/el/hp-3325/index-en.html

You're right David. Lots of good info and will enjoy sitting down with it tonight.
Old 18th Jan 2018, 9:42 am   #9
Radio Wrangler

I didn't redesign the Frac-N chip, The original one was HP designed (Loveland division, I think) and made by Mitsubishi. They shut down that process line and HP had to design a new device. There were quite significant differences, so each instrument using the API Frac-N needed redesigning around the new part. Each instrument using it was a different design for different FM/sweep capabilities, freq range etc.

Eventually the firm went over to a different approach to Frac-N, essentially a sort of sigma-delta ADC style. I prefer the name 'Noise Shaping' which gives an easier view of its machinations.

Me? I had the privilege of working in a labful of seriously top-end engineers, and I couldn't help pick up a bit in that environment. I picked up their attitude that most things could be done, you just had to find the way. And the way to find the way was to look at the problem from as many different directions as possible until some combination of views 'clicked'. I have no doubt that if I can do something, just about anyone can. It may take some time to build up the background knowledge, but no impossibility is involved. People limit theirselves a lot by telling themselves that they can't do things. Curiosity is the key. Oh, and I make plenty of mistakes!

David
Old 19th Jan 2018, 2:11 pm   #10
IsquaredR
Tetrode

What an incredibly refreshing attitude, David! Thank you! I keep a file of
snip-its that includes profound quotes I run across and I have printed-out yours for inclusion.
Closed Thread