UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2010, 10:01 pm   #21
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: My valve hoarding problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinganode View Post
...I remember my Dad taking me to the Clarendon? Labs Archive Museum for my 10th birthday, whatever happened to the collection?...
If you mean the CRL (Central Research Labs) musuem I only knew it at the new CRL building on the corner of Dawley Road. It is now at the National Media Museum at Bradford.
Old 20th May 2010, 10:33 pm   #22
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

My two pennyworth......

I like the 'look' of old and new technology - I have some vidicon tubes and photomultipliers 'on-display'. Beautiful things. Can you believe what man has achieved?

I intend to make a TV camera with an Image Orthicon I have - Can't decide whether to make the camera electronics miniature and processor based, miniature valve based or based on the valves of the day - For me it is the design and build that is the drive I have no use for the camera.

I suppose I would keep valves if I were a person who repaired old TVs and Radios - but then I would keep them clean, dry and ordered.

If I were keeping them for prosperity, to show tomorrows children then the same applies.

Can't see the point of just keeping them jumbled in an attic/garage - I'd just give them to someone who was doing any of the above or to a museum.

James
Old 20th May 2010, 10:38 pm   #23
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Having just cleared most of my collection of valves - several thousand.... I feel I can sleep better - they arent likeley to crash through the ceiling any more!

Sadly the days of getting large batches of valves has been and gone - I used to enjoy getting them and sorting through, finding all sorts of interesting things.

On that note if anyone has 6 or 7 CV315 (4304CB) transmitting valves, I know of an aging RAF transmitter that would like them (at a non audiophool price too please!)

They are a good thing to collect though, hours of endless fun!
Old 20th May 2010, 10:56 pm   #24
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

Well you can always throw them at http://www.tubecollector.org/ - though I mainly collect CVs and military stuff these days (and semiconductors even, but only CV types! Can't have them poisoning the glassware)
Old 20th May 2010, 11:04 pm   #25
glowinganode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post

If you mean the CRL (Central Research Labs) musuem I only knew it at the new CRL building on the corner of Dawley Road. It is now at the National Media Museum at Bradford.
Yes that's where I meant, at the junction of Blythe Road and Dawley Road. I recall there was the bottom 10 feet or so of one of the experimental microwave masts in the car park, with another one half a mile up the road, just past the pub with the exotic dancers.
I remember being fascinated by the exhibits, I think they had some BIG TWT's. Would love the chance to revisit the collection, is the National Media Museum worth a visit?
Rob.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:18 pm   #26
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinnewcastl View Post

Can't see the point of just keeping them jumbled in an attic/garage - I'd just give them to someone who was doing any of the above or to a museum.
James
A couple of weeks ago I was talking to one of the officials at a museum. He told me that they get so many gifts from the public, including valves, that they dont have the space for them all.
So, museums may not be the answer.

It is likely (probable?) that the collective membership here may well be the best custodians of such "relics" as it does mean that they are available for restoring old equipment.
Old 21st May 2010, 7:10 am   #27
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinganode View Post
.....Would love the chance to revisit the collection, is the National Media Museum worth a visit?
I don't think any of the EMI stuff is on display. As with virtually all museums they can only display a tiny fraction of their collection. The NMM is definitely worth a visit anyway.

The section of mast in the car park at Dawley Road was part of EMI's copy of the AP TV mast from 1936. Incredible that a section survived at all.
Old 21st May 2010, 8:19 am   #28
Tim
Dekatron

Hoarding isn't the problem, it's finding space to keep them all in!
Old 21st May 2010, 8:22 am   #29
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Hoarding isn't the problem, it's finding space to keep them all in!
But remember the time domain to space domain transform of Parkinson's Law (with apologies to Fourier and Laplace)
Old 21st May 2010, 8:40 am   #30
PJL
Dekatron

I am still working through this latest batch, a handfull a day, very therapuetic after work. The storage conditions have not been good and possible 20% have lost markings but I am beginning to see the bottom of the cardboard boxes where the metalisation dust lies.

Although these boxes had been in storage for many many years, the damage was evidently before that as the previous owner has also gone through trying to identify some of them.

This has been a good haul - I now have my very first really bright EM34.
Closed Thread