UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2018, 7:59 pm   #1
ToneArm
Pentode

Default Flame proof resistors

Hello folks.
Some time ago i bought some flame proof resistors when they were clearing some values cheaply from Rapid. It might be coincidence but two have failed open circuit within a few months, and all of a sudden I’m wondering if there might be more to flame proof resistors than just a special coating. Datasheet doesn’t seem to suggest there is anything different about them, so perhaps i’ve just been unlucky. It seems unusual to have resistors fail OC, but i could be wrong.
Glyn
Old 15th May 2018, 9:34 pm   #2
evingar
Octode

Default Re: Flame proof resistors

If they are those square ceramic ones, I’ve seen them denoted at "safety components" on some circuits - usually used in series with mains / HT feeds. It maybe that some types are designed to fail open as fusing protection.
Old 15th May 2018, 11:19 pm   #3
ToneArm
Pentode

Hi Chris, no these look like standard 1W resistors. I think I’ll heat one up with a hot air gun and see how it behaves.
Glyn
Old 15th May 2018, 11:36 pm   #4
Station X

I invariably use 2W flameproof resistors as replacements in valve gear and I've never known one to go o/c.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread