UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2012, 7:58 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Using valves as a dropper substitute?

Hi all, has anyone tried this before? Maybe a bit radical but what about using a valve with perhaps low emission but an intact heater to replace an open circuit dropper section? Some series heater types like rectifiers or output pentodes could be used to drop maybe 40 or 50 volts at 150 0r 200 mA instead of a resistor. The heat generated will of course be the same but with the addition of a securely mounted valve base you can re-use otherwise worn out valves.
Old 9th Oct 2012, 9:19 pm   #2

Default Re: Using valves as a dropper substitute?

Ah, the simplest ideas are the best. Now why didn't I think of that?

Old 9th Oct 2012, 9:31 pm   #3
paulsherwin

This would certainly work, but as you say, the amount of heat dissipation would be exactly the same as a resistor, and a lot of physical modification would be needed. If you don't want to keep things original it would make more sense to convert to a capacitor or diode dropper, which would reduce the waste heat.
Old 9th Oct 2012, 9:53 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

That reminds me of a tale related by the instructor of a workshop training course that I once attended who had been in the radio and TV repair trade for years.

He said he had sometimes come across sets of US manufacture in which the only connections to some of the valves were the heaters. In others, the push-pull output stages used several valves in parallel, far more than was required by the speakers that they were driving.

He said that there had been a period where the set makers were in a "mine's bigger than yours" competition about how many valves their sets had, so the more the better, even if they didn't do anything useful. Or perhaps they did, by reducing the size of the mains dropper.
Old 9th Oct 2012, 11:49 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Poor man's Barreter?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 11th Oct 2012, 2:23 pm   #6
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

One thing to consider if you are thinking of pressing a valve into service as a dropper, is that unlike a fixed dropper resistance, the initial turn-on resistance of the valve heater will be considerably lower than the operating resistance. This will exacerbate the current surge in the heater chain at switch-on, and may result in the premature failure of the weakest valve filament in the chain (Sod's law says this will be the most expensive/hard to come by one!).
At the least, it is likely to negate to some extent the benefit of any thermistor in the heater chain. Then there is the unlikely chance of a hearter that gives exactly or nearly the required voltage drop. -Not for me!

Last edited by boxdoctor; 11th Oct 2012 at 2:30 pm.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 5:51 pm   #7
Leon Crampin
Octode

I remember as a lad repairing a pre-war Murphy AC/DC receiver which needed a dropper resistor. Part of my "fix" was to discard the U4020 rectifier and fit a U801 (octal base) which has an 80V heater. This enabled me to use the existing good parts of the dropper for normal operation at 240V input. The lower voltage taps were lost, but that is of no consequence.

I wouldn't dream of doing that now to a pre-war Murphy (or any other set) but I was rather pleased with my ingenuity at the time and it worked really well, with a slightly higher than normal HT voltage.

I did worse things than this - but learned a lot...

Leon.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 5:56 pm   #8
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdoctor View Post
Then there is the unlikely chance of a hearter that gives exactly or nearly the required voltage drop.
I've always thought that heaters were pretty well controlled. Many valves are specified for either series or parallel operation. Too high resistance would result in overheating in the first case and underheating in the second, with the reverse for too low resistance.

Thus, manufacturers controlled them tightly. I'd be confident in a valve giving the specified voltage drop at the specified current.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 1:35 pm   #9
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

If you look carefully, Kalee, you will see I used the term "required" not "specified".
By required drop I mean the voltage that the replaced dropper resistance would have been required to drop, had not the substitution been made. Not the heater voltage of any specific valve. What in essence I mean, is that the chances of finding a valve with a rated heater voltage that will give the required drop within an acceptable tolerance is rather unlikely.I agree that valve heaters are generally manufactured to a fairly tight tolerance.
Old 12th Oct 2012, 3:26 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

Actually, it's an inverse Barretter

The normal valve heater has a positive tempco, and quite a strong one. Using a valve in place of a fixed resistor will give you a larger turn-on surge of current. It will probably reduce life expectancy a little.

Sorry

David