UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2018, 2:46 pm   #21
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: CRT is brighter to one side

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
At least one set I remember did not allow for switching on again, the off button operated a solenoid that unlatched the power switch in the set, and if you were lucky, the plastic button would be ballistically propelled across the room.
A housemate had one of those, a 20" badged Murphy, it had a glass contrast screen in front of the tube IIRC. Also sold as Fidelity. Vintage circa 1987.

My 1978 ITT with ultrasonic remote also has this design.
Old 10th Dec 2018, 6:23 pm   #22
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
I can't quite see what the three buttons on the remote do.
Perhaps channel up, channel down and off.
I think the seller said it had Channel up (1-8 and from 8 back to 1) Volume (I presume it just quietens it, then another click puts it back to the volume it was before, as others have said) and on/off

I just googled the AVS2000, and sure enough I would love one! Can't say I've ever seen something like it.
Old 11th Dec 2018, 2:57 pm   #23
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Fidelity AVS2000. Don't. Just don't.

The flying on-off button was a Rediffusion/Doric Mk4, early to mid - Eighties. It was also badged Murphy as Ben says, though I haven't seen a Fidelity version.

Though we were Hitachi dealers, I've never seen a remote control like that one. This is a pre-Instavision set so once you've located and replaced the faulty capacitor the CRT should be as good as new - and it will be a reliable set. Post a picture of the chassis so we know what we're dealing with.
Old 11th Dec 2018, 7:28 pm   #24
19Seventy7
Octode

I think I'm picking up the TV Friday now, but I'll post a picture of the chassis ASAP.

Thanks
Old 12th Dec 2018, 11:22 am   #25
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Though we were Hitachi dealers, I've never seen a remote control like that one. This is a pre-Instavision set so once you've located and replaced the faulty capacitor the CRT should be as good as new - and it will be a reliable set. Post a picture of the chassis so we know what we're dealing with.
The Granada version of the GEC PIL tube set had it as well and a very simple IR remote. Seemed to be affected by everything that emitted IR including the sun!

Peter
Old 12th Dec 2018, 11:46 am   #26
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Fidelity AVS2000. Don't. Just don't.
That was said with feeling, I heard that this model had its problems.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 9:26 pm   #27
AC/HL
Dekatron

One post moved to a new thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=152258
Old 12th Dec 2018, 9:49 pm   #28
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
That was said with feeling, I heard that this model had its problems.
Post Philips, my mate and I sold a fair few of those. He bought a job-lot... basically catalogue returns that couldn't be fixed by their 'electrician'. Most of them had power supply and line stage faults. They were fine as long as they didn't go wrong again......
Old 12th Dec 2018, 10:29 pm   #29
M3VUV51
Banned

My gran had a TV with an ultrasonic remote years ago, took a while to sus out why the dogs went nuts every time the channel was changed! LOL. M3VUV.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 11:10 pm   #30
19Seventy7
Octode

Why is that? Someone else said about budgies did it too.

Doesn't ultrasonic emit some kind of sound humans can't hear?

I could be wrong on that.

Thanks
Old 12th Dec 2018, 11:18 pm   #31
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Doesn't ultrasonic emit some kind of sound humans can't hear?
Look at the word. Latin origin. Ultra: beyond. Sonic: of sound. Basically, frequencies beyond the human auditory range!

The more modern type of remote does not use sound, but uses infra red emission (infra: below). So, that is below the frequency of visible 'red light'
Old 12th Dec 2018, 11:38 pm   #32
19Seventy7
Octode

Thought it was, just wasn't 100% sure.

Thank you
Old 13th Dec 2018, 12:59 am   #33
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
My 1978 ITT with ultrasonic remote also has this design.
Hi.

That's possibly a CVC32 (22"), CVC30 (26") chassis using the 20AX CRT or the less common CVC25 (22") chassis using the Hitachi CRT. The remote control plugged into the front of the set and could still operate the set with the ultrasonic transducer isolated. There was a 3-way connector in the remote to connect to the TV.

I liked those vertical chassis modular ITT sets. The various modules could be plugged in on the print side of the motherboard so were great sets for servicing. The most common faults I experienced were either the tripler or occasional LOPT failure causing the TDA2640 based power supply to trip. Dry solder joints were common mainly in the line output stage and that burn up on the scan correction board Pressac connector that carries the line scan current. There was also a safety issue with some of the mains switches, not so much about the switch itself, rather the embrittled solder joints. The recommended solution was to solder four mains lead wires to the switch to bypass the print foil connections for a more safe arrangement.

I'd like to find a CVC30 or CVC32 for my collection.

Regards
Symon
Old 13th Dec 2018, 1:13 am   #34
ben
Dekatron

Symon,
I have the 1922u and the larger 3620. They both use that plug-in remote. I am still looking out for the plug-in game of 'pong'!

I think I had to change the tripler (or was it the line o/p tranny?) in one set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	itt 1922u front.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	174481   Click image for larger version

Name:	itt 1922u back.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	174482   Click image for larger version

Name:	itt 3620_ad_2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	174484   Click image for larger version

Name:	itt_3620 tv ad 1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	174485  
Old 13th Dec 2018, 9:59 am   #35
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I did like the ITT range of TV’s and remember the plug in remote controls. I did not know about the plugin ping pong game, was it sold in the U.K.? We got the ITT agency in the middle 70’s when we were unhappy with Pye and RBM products, we still had those brands in the shop but many preferred the styling of the ITT sets and that suited us.

Faults, not many but triplers, line whistle from inductors, I think they recommended PVA glue but could be wrong, and frame output transistors. Did the remote use a PP3 battery, I seem to recall replacing the connections after damage by customers trying to change the battery.
Old 13th Dec 2018, 12:56 pm   #36
See_Mos
Hexode

I repaired many Hitachi telly's in my time, loved em.

As others have pointed out it will be an electrolytic, usually 4.7 or 10uF and usually on the tube base.

When they dry out they don't store the energy to keep a constant voltage to the video output transistors and as the line scan progresses across the screen the voltage increases.
Old 13th Dec 2018, 7:54 pm   #37
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

Ben, that's interesting to see the Pong game for the ITT and I was also unaware about that. Thanks for the pics.

Frank, yes, the line whistles (magnetostriction) in the coil ferrites, was a common problem and again yes, PVA glue was recommended namely Resin W by Evo-Stik. I remember coming across various sets that had been in the hands of cowboys and in one set, the singing coil being silenced by a hewn block of wood wedged between the chassis and the offending coil. An effective bodge

Regards
Symon.
Old 13th Dec 2018, 11:25 pm   #38
emeritus
Dekatron

I believe that the ultrasonic frequencies of some of the early TV remotes lie in the range used by bats. There was a letter in I think the "New Scientist" in that era from a reader who noticed that a moth took rapid evasive action when he changed channel, and found that using the remote to tease moths was often more interesting than watching the then-current offerings on TV!
Old 14th Dec 2018, 10:50 am   #39
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I can remember those ultra sonic remote controls on various TV's. We would get call outs for random channel changing caused by dry door hinges, rattling car or house keys and metal dog collars.
We use to do a mod on the early Thorn 9000 that desensitised the ultrasonic receiver in the telly that prevented this random pick up but had little effect on the range of the remote control.
Old 14th Dec 2018, 11:58 am   #40
19Seventy7
Octode

I picked the TV up and got it home. By the time I had got home it was too late to take things apart so I put the TV on a stand and played my Atari on it for a while.

I have 1 new issue with it, and the picture is wonky, the right side of the image is higher than the left side. I tried the convergence knob at the back, but that only moves the image left and right. How do I fix this?

I'm also just about to open up the back to take photos to show on here so we can see what we're working with. Is there anything I need to know before hand? I've unplugged the TV from the mains, so it has no power supply but could there be anything else to be careful with? I just want to be as careful as possible as I've very little knowledge of CRT's at the moment.

Thanks
Closed Thread