UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2018, 10:08 pm   #1
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dansette conquest info and help

Hi this is my first post. Any help would be much appreciated. I have just bought a dansette conquest auto from a friend whose father passed away. It works and sounds excellent as far as I know. I have cleaned it from outside and was looking to degrease and regrease the internal moving parts. Watched a video recently on YouTube where he removed the c-clip on the turntable and lifted it off but I removed c-clip but turntable does not lift off. Am I missing something? Also I was thinking of replacing valve and capacitors. If everything works well do you think I should replace these as I think they are original. Any help please message me. Also I am complete amateur as I have never done anything like this before but would like to learn. Any advice.
Old 9th Apr 2018, 9:04 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Dansette conquest info and help

The turntable is probably affected by dried grease. Although you say that the Conquest works well, dried, hardened grease can still be a problem. Don't try to force off the platter. I once removed a stuck platter on a B.S.R. Autochanger by pouring hot water down the bearing. Others have heated the centre with a soldering iron (Be careful in either case if the platter is Plastic, though I'm sure all those used in the 'Conquest' had metal turntables. B.S.R's usual advice was to ensure that the deck was set to 45r.p.m., and in the 'off' position. This was to avoid trapping the idler wheel under the platter's rim when refitting it.
Old 9th Apr 2018, 10:10 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Your "Conquest" will have a metal platter. Use a penetrating oil down the spindle and leave it for a bit. Then try a very gentle "wiggle" from side to side, holding each side. Don't just replace the valve and capacitors just for the sake of it - if it's working well and not humming too much, then leave well alone!
Old 9th Apr 2018, 11:22 am   #4
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Don't just replace the valve and capacitors just for the sake of it - if it's working well and not humming too much, then leave well alone!
I endorse Edward's wise words. I've read of more than one working record player being reduced to a doorstop as a result of inept Compulsive Component Changing.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 8:50 pm   #5
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you so much Folks. I’ll let you know how I get on �
Old 12th Apr 2018, 10:25 pm   #6
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Hi guys thanks again. I managed to get it off just for a look to start with. It’s all a bit gunked up with old dried grease. Problem now is I put it back together and tried it and tone arm lifts and comes across, it lowers on start of record and then lifts up again and goes back again and switches off? Any ideas ? Does it just need a good clean?
Old 13th Apr 2018, 10:12 am   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Are you familiar with using autochangers - is the overarm fully seated over the stack of records?
Old 14th Apr 2018, 2:53 pm   #8
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, no I’m not at all to be honest this is my first project. The tone arm now lifts up, looks like it wants to go across, and then decides to lower itself back in the holder and it switches off?? Any ideas?

PS. Sorry guys. I've got it, my mistake. All good for now thanks.
Old 14th Apr 2018, 7:21 pm   #9
Michael Maurice

Have you stacked records on the spindle? One will do.

The autochanger is designed so that if there are no records on the spindle, the player will switch off.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 15th Apr 2018, 12:36 pm   #10
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, yes sorry that was my fault. I’m looking to replace the stylus at the moment. The cartridge is a BSR X5H and I want to play modern records, and still have the option to play 78s. Any ideas? Again all help is much appreciated? At the moment the stylus is double sided 78s and ST12 LPs
Old 17th Apr 2018, 10:16 am   #11
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Any help in replacing the stylus? What does the st12/st13/st14 etc mean on the styluses?
Old 17th Apr 2018, 10:33 am   #12
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Actually your BSR X5H cartridge is a later, incorrect, replacement for the Mono only type originally fitted. It should have been a BSR X5M. Hopefully you can still use it as it is stereo-compatible, but if you play it too loud you may hear distortion. The correct stylus is either a BSR ST8 or ST12. On side will be LPS and the other 78.
Old 18th Apr 2018, 12:27 am   #13
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you Edward. So is my BSR X5H ok to use on the Dansette. Also does that mean it’s ok for my vinyl from the 1980s. Where can I buy a double sided stylus any ideas? Lastly what does the ST8 or ST12 mean?
Old 18th Apr 2018, 10:24 am   #14
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Yes, you can continue to use the X5H, but it is not the recommended cartridge for your type of Dansette. Incidentally, it is worth quite alot of money in it own right as such cartridges are heavily demanded for use in other types of player. Even so, it will not harm your stereo records. The ST8 stylus has a plastic shank, ST12 has a metal shank and therefore has a better compliance. I would use the ST12, with LPS one side and 78 the other.
Old 18th Apr 2018, 11:55 am   #15
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Excellent thank you Edward you are a wealth of knowledge. Do you know what tracking weight to set it to for my LPs?
Old 18th Apr 2018, 1:23 pm   #16
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Set it to 5 grams. Youu could try down to 4 grams, but no lighter.
Old 18th Apr 2018, 5:08 pm   #17
Mistermal
Retired Dormant Member

Just ordered st12/lps/78 from the stylus lady. Thanks so so much
Closed Thread