UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2018, 2:27 pm   #541
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Maplin stores

Just been into Cribbs Causway Bristol and still had a decent stock of plugs sockets battery holders etc. at 80% off which meant I stocked up the sort of things one has to buy in large lots from China or CPC and spent a total of £53 which I thought was a good deal.
Staff think they probably are around for another 2-3weeks.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maplins.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	163270  
Old 21st May 2018, 3:25 pm   #542
Dai Corner
Hexode

Cardiff (Newport Road) is still two-thirds open; the rear third of the shop being taped off and empty of stock.

Many small items like leads and connectors were 70-80% off so more in line with RS and CPC. I came away with a 20m reel of 42 / 0.18mm loudspeaker cable for £3.
Old 21st May 2018, 7:02 pm   #543
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I did rather well at Andover....

Sadly I think that store would have gone by now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6DBD6DA6-E860-472B-AC68-662F5DBE3E95.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	163301  
Old 21st May 2018, 8:05 pm   #544
Panrock
Nonode

Went into the Cheltenham store today and came out with a drum of RF cable. "Last two days"...

At the counter, several staff were lazing about and one was lying down. After obeying the request to go back and fetch the label for my item, I quipped "Now it's the customers who are serving the staff, and about time too!" All taken in very good humour.

Steve
Old 21st May 2018, 9:32 pm   #545
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Stirling (closes on Monday 28th I think) - some reels of cable, still not particularly appealing, AV cables for £3 or £5. Came away with some Speakon plugs and phono-sockets-on-paxolins, all 10p each.

Not sure if I'll treat myself to a Kemo 12 watt amp module, I think it's down to about £12 which is very favourable compared to proper suppliers (of course no guarantee with Maplin).

The tips jar wasn't looking very full :-(
Old 23rd May 2018, 5:59 pm   #546
The Philpott
Dekatron

Not sure whether colchester is still open..

The latest google reviews include one which says 'if you buy something now and it's wrong or doesn't fit, you won't get your money back as they are going into menstruation'.

I didn't think things had got quite this bad..
Old 23rd May 2018, 8:14 pm   #547
philthespark
Pentode

Well, I suppose going into liquidation could be classed as a bad period.lol
Old 23rd May 2018, 9:15 pm   #548
Backtoreality
Hexode

Wakefield seems to be regularly getting stuff from other stores. I bought two items this morning: A handheld usb barcode scanner for a tenner and a Q Scan Twincomm V2 Ethernet People Counter for a fiver. Not sure what I'll use them for but when I checked the prices online, the scanner was around £50 and the people counter £500!!!!!! Having said that I need a remote control, two reflectors and the software supplied with it. Anyway its very nice looking inside and out! They also had 3 thermal receipt printers for a tenner each and 3 Dummy RC Drone Copters with remote controllers for £30 each. They were selling them for spares, nothing inside but 4 motors with propellers. I couldn't tell if there was anything in the remotes or not but the twin joysticks seemed operational. Loads of batteries inc rechargeable sealed lead acid ones which had originally sold out on the first couple of days.
David
Old 26th May 2018, 2:07 pm   #549
OldTechFan96
Octode

I've just returned from Maplin's Cramlington branch. There is not a great deal left. All of the electronic components are gone. The shop floor has been restricted to the first half of the shop. I think it will be closed on Monday. I believe that this branch opened in late 2013.

I bought a small mono amplifier for £6.99. down from £26.00.

A few weeks after Maplin went into administration I visited this branch and it was the busiest that I've ever seen it. On a Sunday, too!
Old 26th May 2018, 2:45 pm   #550
emeritus
Dekatron

Brentwood's last day is Monday. Went in today looking for a right angle TV plug but they only had the sockets left. Came away with some Maplin alkaline batteries, marked as £1 a pack but now have extra 20% discount so 80p a pack. Cable and wire drums £20 or less, but I don't need any.
Old 26th May 2018, 7:39 pm   #551
Reelman
Octode

It seems that the cable drums get reduced to £10, £5 & £3 as the store approaches closure day. Been told today that stores get 72 hours notice of closure by means of a ‘phone call in the morning.
Peter.
Old 26th May 2018, 7:46 pm   #552
Radio Wrangler

I can't help wondering which one's going to be last...

It was all so bright and wonderful in the beginning, and now it's not with a bang, but with a whimper. Sic transit.

David
Old 27th May 2018, 2:30 pm   #553
bobsterkent
Hexode

Went into the Strood store at lunchtime, masses of batteries at £1 a pack and they had just put all the resistors into lucky dip bags. They shut tomorrow it seems, having only opened less than 2 years ago
Old 28th May 2018, 4:35 pm   #554
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Last day at Stirling. All cable reels now £1. Some odds-and-ends now 10p - got a couple of Speakon sockets which I hope will mate with the plugs I got.

What's left is going to be moved to Edinburgh which may have a few more weeks left.

I was going to ask if I could have a free catalogue, but I forgot. :-(
Old 28th May 2018, 5:36 pm   #555
M0XNA Neil
Tetrode

Was in the Northampton Maplin today and bought a few trays of metal film (1%) resistors. Each tray has around 3,000 resistors for around £10. They still have lots of trays left and will be open for a few weeks longer I understand from the staff. Also lots of knobs and connectors at 80% discount.

Neil
Old 30th May 2018, 5:00 pm   #556
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Quote:
Remember Staples - the office equipment suppliers? They use to have large stores in most larger towns and cities.

Maybe few have noticed that they're not around any more. Staples haven't gone bust -they've gone online. In November 2016, Staples stores were purchased by Hilco Capital and are now under new ownership. 'Office Outlet' is now operating as a separate business to Staples UK Limited, which includes Staples Online website and telephone order line, and Staples Advantage. In Hull, the first thing that Office Outlet did was to close the large Staples store in the town (ironically, next door to Maplin!), and to move to a site on the inner ring road next to the likes of Halfords, PC World, The Range.
I remember them because in Leicester there was one next door to Maplin. Not sure what to make of that co-incidence, but this one morphed into 'Office World' a year or two back. I had wondered whether they had been taken over. In the meantime, Maplin moved across the road and their new store could not have been open more than a couple of years.
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 7:31 pm   #557
Mooly
Octode

Looks like there have been some developments...

Buy It Direct puts bid in for Maplin
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 10:30 pm   #558
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

I can't see ElectrolyticsDirect being a household name but good luck to them.
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 10:45 pm   #559
Radio Wrangler

It looks like all they've put a bid in for is the registered name.

David
Old 4th Jun 2018, 1:28 pm   #560
bikerhifinut
Octode

Probably that's all that will be left once everything is sold off and the shop leases revert.
Still, I for one, will keep an open mind if they do get the rights to the trading name etc and see what sort of online/mail order service emerges. Until that point it's basically speculation and bar room gossip.

A.
Closed Thread