UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2015, 1:55 pm   #1
mole42uk
Nonode

Default EHT fizz

Hi,

I'm working on a Marconi 2955 VDU driver board. I have ring-tested the LOPT and I have replaced the BU806 driver transistor. I don't have much experience with EHT circuits so I'm looking for guidance.

The problem is that when first switched on, after warming up for a few seconds I get a perfect display but after a few more seconds there are four detected symptoms:

A fizzing sound starts up which gets louder, but I can't work out where it comes from
The display starts to fade until it can't be seen even with the brightness on full
The current drawn into the board starts to rise.
The measured EHT voltage slowly falls to below 2kV

I'm hoping there's a capacitor which is breaking down and really hoping it isn't the LOPT !

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 11th Jan 2015, 2:12 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: EHT fizz

Have you tried it with the lights off? You might be able to see some visible discharge in the dark.
Old 11th Jan 2015, 3:29 pm   #3
maninashed
Rest in Peace

Hi Richard, the eht brushing is a symptom of corona discharge, carefully dust off using a clean dry paint brush, around the eht connection to the tube. Beware, because the tube acts as a capacitor and holds a charge! Dust off the eht lead and lopt, then as AJS says, turn the lights off and see if you can see any tracking to ground. It could be a capacitor failing, but it could just be overloading caused by the excessive eht drain.
Bill
Old 11th Jan 2015, 5:23 pm   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

It's generally the EHT cap on the CRT.

The way I used to clean it and the CRT was to wipe both items with a rag soaked in meths.

In damp houses I wiped the CRT with WD40.

Sometimes the plastic cap was beyond repair because of continual tracking.
Old 11th Jan 2015, 5:50 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
In damp houses I wiped the CRT with WD40.
Wow! WD40 actually being used for Water Displacement.
Old 11th Jan 2015, 6:21 pm   #6
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
Have you tried it with the lights off? You might be able to see some visible discharge in the dark.
Good advice. But do make sure you're not likely to touch anything dangerous in the dark or to trip over anything and inadvertently put a hand where you shouldn't. In all the years I worked with kilovolt supplies the only death I ever heard about happened to a chap looking for corona discharge in the dark. He tripped and fell, hands first, into the equipment he was working on (30kV or so with an amp or two behind it, but the mains can kill too).

Cheers,

GJ
Old 12th Jan 2015, 7:00 pm   #7
mole42uk
Nonode

Thanks! I sorted the fizz easily - the EHT cap was held off the tube by part of the tube support strap, once I'd moved that the noise went away.

I have another problem with the board now for which I'll start a new thread.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Closed Thread