UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2014, 7:38 pm   #1
sparkymike
Octode

Default RCA female feed through connectors

Hi, I have been searching for RCA phono female to female feed through connectors for the audio/video wall plates that I am making, to fall in line with out flat screen tv and audio gear and to hide all the wiring.
So far most of the connectors that I have purchased seem to be lacking in quality. I bought (on E inlet) some "Neutrix" connectors but on getting the items, the fixing threads on the rear are very sloppy and having used Neutrix in the past I am wondering if they were fake items. has anyone else had this problem and if so where can you buy first class parts ?
Mike.
Old 13th Dec 2014, 7:43 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: rca female feed through connectors

If trhey're branded "Neutrix" then they're fake: the real brand is Neutrik.
Old 13th Dec 2014, 9:23 pm   #3
Amraduk
Hexode

Do you have a URL for E Inlet?

Regards,

Dave.
Old 13th Dec 2014, 9:27 pm   #4

I would think your best bet is to get some 'quality' (if there is such a thing in RCA jacks) ones and a blank plate, a bit of drilling and soldering later and viola! an outlet.

Old 13th Dec 2014, 10:51 pm   #5
sparkymike
Octode

Default Re: RCA female feed through connectors

The plates are now finished and engraved, I am lucky in having my own pantograph engraving machine. As and when I can find better connectors I can change them later, but I only like to do things once.!!
Photo enclosed of plate before engraving. One plate goes behind the tele, but low down so it is accessible yet hidden, as there is only around 3" gap between TV and wall, and the other plate is on the wall next to the audio cabinet/rack. There is a Digital to analogue converter behind the TV which gives me very good TV sound through my 80's stereo system. At the same time I have put a flush double 13 amp mains socket behind the TV as well.
Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AV wall plate 009.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	101549  
Old 13th Dec 2014, 11:03 pm   #6
sparkymike
Octode

Hi Dave,
I have sent you a PM with the link.
Mike.
Old 14th Dec 2014, 2:02 pm   #7
matthewhouse
Octode

Can we see a photo of it engraved?! That's looking very smart, what did you use to cut the rectangle holes? They are very neat. I've only ever made plates using Crabtree white blank plates, as they are one of the few which are flat all over behind.

The last AV plate I made included 3 fully wired scart sockets, the soldering was fun, especially with 5 people sat watching me
Old 15th Dec 2014, 8:35 am   #8
sparkymike
Octode

Oblong holes were chain drilled and then needle filed back to scribe marks.
It is an on-going project, as I keep getting better ideas along the way !!
I am looking for a straight through coax socket and phono sockets, as this will make the plate more "plug-in" and easier to modify in the future. A job to know exactly what type of connectors to use and what will be more common in the future. HDMI seem to be the way to go at the moment, but this can change as I type.
I will post another photo of engraving later.
Mike.
Old 15th Dec 2014, 1:48 pm   #9
pmmunro
Octode

This is perhaps not as neat as the connectors on your custom made panel, but possibly the connector insert is available separately.

http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/...0SERIES_CD.pdf

Most signal connectors are available in the same format but I have had some trouble with the 3.5 mm stereo jack, possibly because these seem to be made to slightly different standards.

PMM
Old 16th Dec 2014, 9:15 am   #10
sparkymike
Octode

photo enclosed re. engraving. Plate looks silver, but is colour as per other thumbnail. When using flash it just reflects background.
Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AV plate 2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	101648  
Old 18th Dec 2014, 11:45 pm   #11
matthewhouse
Octode

That certainly looks smart! For straight through female coax sockets I use a female coax to female F adaptor, with an F nut on the back. This doesn't work for the male coax to female F as there isn't a shoulder to stop it going right through the panel hole. They do stick out a way though, so I often just use F couplers and labels.
Old 7th Jan 2015, 11:42 pm   #12
FrankB
Heptode

Philmore still makes a good quality one.
I have built several patch panels I used on a daily basis with their RCA "feed thru" type conn, and never wore one out or had one break or fail over a 10+ year period.
Closed Thread