UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2015, 1:44 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default RS phono plugs

I'm trying to attach some single core screened cable to some old RS phono plugs.

The centre core is easy but I can't see where I can solder the outside screen.

The lip on the back of the plug is what holds the plastic cover on, so soldering anything there prevents the cover from fitting .

Can anybody help?

Thanks
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050896.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	102266  
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 1:47 pm   #2

Default Re: RS phono plugs

The screen is just 'clamped' by the cover, no solder.

Old 3rd Jan 2015, 2:33 pm   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thank you MM, I've just tried your suggestion and it works perfectly

Regards
David
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 5:05 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

I've just learned something new!

I needn't have bothered with the fiddly business of fanning out the screen round and into the groove and carefully soldering it with minimum added solder so I could still fit the cover over the top
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 6:51 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Certainly a useful thing to know, but is the integrity of the connection good in the long-term? I suppose Belling-Lee aerial connectors have their braid attached in essentially the same way, but a soldered connection is so much more reliable, isn't it?
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 6:56 pm   #6

Quote:
but is the integrity of the connection good in the long-term?
About as good as the plug and socket I would guess, a smear of Vaseline may help.

Old 3rd Jan 2015, 7:14 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks, MM.
Old 3rd Jan 2015, 11:24 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Certainly a useful thing to know, but is the integrity of the connection good in the long-term? I suppose Belling-Lee aerial connectors have their braid attached in essentially the same way, but a soldered connection is so much more reliable, isn't it?
The braid connection on a B-L coax connector is made by turning the teased out braid radially back round the outside of the domed end of the strain relief collet. This is then forced into the back end of the connector barrel by screwing down the threaded collar over it. This makes a good metal to metal crimp connection nothing like the softish plastic holding the braid in place on the cheap phonos. The petals of the strain relief collet then dig into the outer cable jacket to perform their function, not the exposed braid!

Some of the cheap B-L clones are in comparison, horrid.

I doubt whether the integrity of a cheap phono earth matters much- in most domestic stuff there's at least one other parallel path and if there's a hum problem a quick waggle of the cables will fix it (probably).
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread