UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2019, 5:56 pm   #1
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Default Taylor valve tester

I am considering changing my AVO CT160 for a Taylor 45C or similar. The problem is that both workshop and storage space are limited.

Can any kind soul tell me the dimensions of the Taylor?

And does anyone have a view as to the relative merits of the Avo and the Taylor for measurement of mutual conductance?
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 6:38 pm   #2
sven_swe
Pentode

Default Re: Taylor valve tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelmusic View Post
Can any kind soul tell me the dimensions of the Taylor?
I just measured my Taylor 45C:

Depth 21cm
Width (incl. handles) approx 40cm
Height 25cm
Old 24th Jan 2019, 11:13 am   #3
retailer
Heptode

I've had an Avo MkII and a CT-160 and currently have a Taylor 45B and 45C, there is no doubt the Avo's are comprehensive machines but for me at least the Taylor's area lot easier and more convenient to use.
Others may find things different I guess it comes down to what you want from a valve tester as well as personal preference
Old 24th Jan 2019, 11:49 am   #4
David Simpson
Nonode

Hello kestrelmusic, by all means if you want rid of your CT160 for super financial gain then flog it. There is nothing wrong with Taylors - smaller & less complicated. But, at some time in the future, should you need accurate Ia & Gm assessments of valves, then you would need a CT160 or a VCM MK3 or MK4. Prices for decent examples of this range of AVO Valve Testers have risen dramatically in recent years, mainly due to speculative internet wheeler dealers. That could mean in 3 or 4 years time, should you wish to acquire another CT160, you might well have to fork out at least 50% more than what its worth just now !
If your issue with your CT160 is related to servicing & calibration worries then why not consider contacting Mike Barker aka "MurphyMad" - on this Forum, or via the BVWS if you're a member. There are also one or two other BVWS & VRR&R Forum members who are highly skilled CT160 buffs whome, I'm sure Mike would recommend, as would I, should he be jolly busy just now.

Regards, David

Last edited by David Simpson; 24th Jan 2019 at 11:51 am. Reason: Additional info.
Old 24th Jan 2019, 8:28 pm   #5
woodchips
Octode

Also the 16 way switches on the Taylor are not easy to find, or repair.
Old 24th Jan 2019, 10:09 pm   #6
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Thank you for these helpful replies.

I am considering taking the CT160 out of service and replacing it with a Taylor purely on grounds of space and bulk. My workshop space is very limited and for some reason lots of boxes of valves and vintage radios have chosen to take up residence there ...

I've just remembered that I do actually have a Taylor 45A. It's in working order but the Control B pot is a bit dodgy and it's difficult to get to the point where the meter reading is steady.
Closed Thread