UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2018, 5:58 pm   #1
elliott
Retired Dormant Member

Question Advice please...boombox aerial related.

Hi to everyone,

I'm new here and like all noobs i'm starting with a question(sorry)...

Basically I just bought an old 80's boombox with built in TV. It's a Goodmans Quadro 907. My plan was to repair the various faults and then connect it to either an old VHS player or use a modulator of some type. It's going to be living in my workshop and I liked the idea of watching old black and white movies whilst working away! Anyways, after getting stuck in and fixing a few of the faults I thought it time to test the TV function by connecting it to the RF outlet of my Sky box. This is where my problem came. I don't know why I had checked it but there is no coaxial plug on the unit at all. There is the standard telescopic aerial and a separate 'Ext Ant' port...which looks like a 3.5mm jack port. I've never seen anything like it, though I must admit I haven't spent much time working with old TV's. So my question(s) is(are)...what type of connection is this?...Google offered no help here. Is there an adapter available to take it to a standard RF connection or am I going to need to open it up and hot wire one in?

Really hope someone can help out, thanks a lot

Elliott
Old 31st Dec 2018, 6:13 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Advice please...boombox aerial related.

It probably is just a 3.5mm jack socket. You need to solder a plug on one end of a length of coax, and put a standard Belling coax plug on the other end. The signal will go to the tip.
Old 31st Dec 2018, 6:27 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

As Paul says or if you have to send off for the parts this is available.

John.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...ocket&_sacat=0
Old 31st Dec 2018, 6:31 pm   #4
elliott
Retired Dormant Member

Wow, super fast replies, I really appreciate it, thanks. Time to get the soldering iron warmed up! thanks again.
Old 31st Dec 2018, 8:48 pm   #5
elliott
Retired Dormant Member

OK.

I made up a cable by cutting one end off of a working coaxial cable and soldering on a 2 conductor 3.5mm jack. Tried it out and I can tune it so that I have perfect sound but the picture just won't come on. It's trying; almost as if it's a really weak signal, but I know the RF outlet I'm testing it with is high strength. My knowledge of these things is limited but my soldering skills are good and I made sure the connections were good, shrink tubed it to reinforce it and checked the continuity so that's all good.

Any ideas?
Old 31st Dec 2018, 10:04 pm   #6
Clydeuk
Hexode

What are you using as a source? There should be enough gain for this to produce a picture when the centre conductor is held against the telescopic aerial, possibly even just held close. I would try that first. It's possible there is a fault with the socket or tuner, but before you condemn it it would be worth trying a ready made connector as in the link in post 3 above.
Old 31st Dec 2018, 10:06 pm   #7
Clydeuk
Hexode

Forgot to mention, if the device you're using as a source has a tunable output, try a few different output channels as it is possible the output is clashing with a digital MUX off the air being picked up by the telescopic aerial.
Old 31st Dec 2018, 10:14 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Also, check if the TV supports multiple TV standards, and if it does that it is set for the UK system (PAL-I).
Old 31st Dec 2018, 11:48 pm   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
I made up a cable by cutting one end off of a working coaxial cable and soldering on a 2 conductor 3.5mm jack. Tried it out and I can tune it so that I have perfect sound but the picture just won't come on. It's trying; almost as if it's a really weak signal, but I know the RF outlet I'm testing it with is high strength.
Can you take a picture of what's on the screen and post it here?
Old 31st Dec 2018, 11:59 pm   #10
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
....'Ext Ant' port...which looks like a 3.5mm jack port. ......
Hi, From memory these units may have been supplied with an adaptor similar to the one shown in the following link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-MON...YMxx:rk:3:pf:0

Regards

Andrew
Old 1st Jan 2019, 11:09 am   #11
phut bang
Triode

the small b&w tv i use in my shed has the same 3.5 aerial socket and i have a 3.5 to female coax plug adaptor i use on it cant remeber where i had it from though but it should be easy to make alead up
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 10:38 pm   #12
elliott
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks to all again for the advice. I have ordered the 3.5mm jack adapter as well as a modulator so I can run off of a DVD player without the VHS hassle.

The source i'm using is the IO RF outlet on a Sky+ box. I'm using an IO link direct from the outlet which then feeds the Boombox TV. I made up a new length of coaxial cable and left the Boombox feed end with just the core protruding. Unfortunately when i touch this to the telescopic antenna I stil can't get it to tune in. I've attached some photos below to show what i'm getting on the screen. The sound is perfect, but it would be nice to have a picture to go with it

I've tried multiple channels out to try and eliminate the possibility of interference but no change.

I believe the unit was a UK only product and theres no NTSC/PAL switch or anything so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm at a loss. Worse case scenario I'll track down another one as I really want one in my workshop and the modulator will still be essential, but it would be nice to get this one working. Any more ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Spent a bit of time looking through the forums here and really glad I stumbled upon it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOOMBOX RECEPTION 1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	175667   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOOMBOX RECEPTION 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	175668   Click image for larger version

Name:	BOOMBOX RECEPTION 3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	175669  
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 1:41 am   #13
Clydeuk
Hexode

Is there a horizontal hold (or line hold) control visible anywhere? Maybe at the back of the unit? The third picture looks like it might need a tweak. It appears to be tuned in.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 2:25 am   #14
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I'm feeling slightly smug, because I wondered when I asked for some screenshots if they would show a line or frame hold malagustment.

For those of us who grew up with black and White and early colour CRT sets we knew how to adjust the horizontal and vertical hold as necessary. I mean humble viewers, not technicians.

But it's been decades since sets have been manufactured that need such controls. So it's not surprising the problem isn't identified for what it is, on an old CRT set.

It's often the case that the present pots for horizontal and vertical hold can be reached through holes in the back cover.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 3rd Jan 2019 at 2:35 am.
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 7:19 am   #15
elliott
Retired Dormant Member

This was my first thought as my first TV as a kid had these adjustment knobs and I remember well having to fine tune them. Unfortunately on this TV it seems to make no difference. I know the pots are working as when I turn them it does change (what I assume is) the frequency, as well as the vertical margins, but still fails to show any kind of picture.
Old 5th Jan 2019, 3:28 pm   #16
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Is the chassis anything like this "902"?

https://www.experimental-engineering...ite-video-mod/

If so, the preset you are after is not one on the rear edge of the board, and may be marked SVR2.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 5th Jan 2019 at 3:36 pm.
Closed Thread