UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2018, 4:47 pm   #521
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Maplin stores

I bought drawer units from Aldi because I had to go there anyway.
Old 15th May 2018, 9:56 pm   #522
TThomas
Retired Dormant Member

I bought a TP-LINK AV2000 TL-WPA9610-kit AC poweline Wifi box for £60 (normally £149.99) from the Cheshire Oaks branch of Maplin on Thursday last week when there was a big sign in the window saying minimum 60% off everything and 4 days left to go before closing.

On Saturday morning I went in to get another when there was 2 days left to go and the sign in the window said upto 80% off and the price had increased to £75 which is 50% off.

Clearly prices are being actively managed so don’t wait until the last days hoping you will get a better price.

I went back on Sunday morning, the last day, and all the boxes of stuff like this had gone from the shelves and the only stuff left was the grossly overpriced small stuff, fans, pc connectors, HDMI & USB leads etc and maplin branded stuff like desk fans. Presumably all the half decent stuff was shipped off to one of the stores that is still open.
Old 15th May 2018, 10:17 pm   #523
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I have been buying from Andover (it is near our office) I purchased all of their remaining connector stock today, over 2000 items, let's just say there are deals to be had, I think the end is nigh for a lot of stores, and there are instructions from high up to take what ever is offered.

I will pop back in there again later in the week - Want to see if the store manageress has a job lined up - it's taken years, but I found decent members of staff there, and want to see if my employers can fit some of them in where we are!
Old 16th May 2018, 12:01 am   #524
mickm3for
Heptode

Maplin Maidstone had enamelled copper wire numerous swg at £3.00 for a 250g spool had all their stock. Went to Strood, they didn't have any wire but many caps etc at 0.06 pence each regardless of value or type, also 50x 1N4007 for 1.50. Only went in for a few resistors ended up taking the entire stock of parts inc project boxes caps resistors and 2 analogue meters, and all for £43.00 what a deal. I think they could not be bothered to count resistors as i wanted 30 of each value got entire lot in carrier bag (reminds me of the mixed packs you could get not 1000's in a carrier bag full) still sorting them out into the bins i was given when they moved less than a year ago, sad to see them go like this
RIP Maplin
Old 16th May 2018, 8:16 am   #525
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post

I will pop back in there again later in the week - Want to see if the store manageress has a job lined up - it's taken years, but I found decent members of staff there, and want to see if my employers can fit some of them in where we are!
That is a wonderful thing to do.

Our firm has been recruiting strongly, but it's experienced RF designers and software engineers they've been (and still are) after. One of our folk is connected to someone in the local Maplin, so they were aware of the opportunities.

David
Old 16th May 2018, 10:06 pm   #526
Oldcodger
Nonode

Local store has closed. But I know it came not too soon for the manager and a few staff, who'd got jobs to go to. Good luck to them, as they will go a long way.
Old 17th May 2018, 12:05 pm   #527
JimmyDeath
Pentode

Hello

Popped in Maplins yesterday and picked up a 100m reel of speaker cable for £20 and a part reel of screened for £1.

I have weighed the speaker cable at just shy of 6kg which at £20 is very close to its scrap value.

regards

James

Last edited by JimmyDeath; 17th May 2018 at 12:05 pm. Reason: rubbish spelling
Old 17th May 2018, 9:01 pm   #528
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, I got some 630 & 1000V poly caps today for a reasonable price in mixed bags at the Metro centre Maplins near Newcastle. It is proclaiming 9 days to go and fixures are also on sale. I assume the central Newcastle store will close at the same time.

Ed
Old 17th May 2018, 9:32 pm   #529
Hartley118
Nonode

Cambridge store is full of stuff which assistant tells me has come from other Maplin shops. Decent prices on part reels of wire & cable. Bulk packs of AA & AAA batteries at £3. I seem to remember this is how Maplin value used to be once upon a time.

Assistant tells me it's another 3 weeks before closure. Lots of stock to sell before then.

Martin
Old 19th May 2018, 2:30 pm   #530
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

The Shrewsbury branch appears to be closing today.
I picked up a few bargains - the price at the till was about half the discounted marked price.
No logic to it though, a lot of stuff (including fixtures and fittings) at stupidly high prices, but a notice did state that all were negoitiable.
Fairly busy, and the staff seemed to be quite up-beat too.
Old 19th May 2018, 3:00 pm   #531
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Went into the York branch yesterday - got a few bits cheap - they close next Thursday. Felt sorry for a really nice assistant at York who'd worked there for years, as has his wife. She was due back from maternity leave, and he's had to be on part time. Now, nothing goin for either of them. Hopefully, they'll at least get some redundancy, but I dare say that's questionable.

Went into Hull this morning, which closes today. You could pick your own resistors on bandoliers and fill quite a large plastic bag for £1.00. I guess I got 1,500 or so. Also got some 3" speakers for projects for 25p each. All of the more expensive stuff had no reductions below 50% because it's all being shipped to stores that will stay open to the last, in a phased closure programme. One guy wanted to buy a lot of Arduino stuff and tried to do a deal with the manager who said 'sorry - I've no discretion, it's all bar coded'. As he spoke, a large van was being loaded up with what stock remained in the store.

Silver oxide SR 44 1.55V coin cells which are needed for digital calipers were only £1.50 for a pack of two, so I got four packs of those.

Soon, the shutters will have come down on all the shops and this thread will also be redundant.
Old 19th May 2018, 4:15 pm   #532
Refugee
Dekatron

You can get a fair number of SR44 cells off of those A4 cards of cells at pound shops and even supermarkets.
I have even seen them on the pound shelf in Tesco of all places.
Old 19th May 2018, 4:36 pm   #533
Reelman
Octode

Rotherham, Parkgate closes on Thursday. The manager says that there won’t be further reductions, we will see.....
They have all reels of cable down to £5 and £10 which is a bargain if you need it. Still had some drawers of misc. components and although cheaper than last week not the £10 seen at other branches.
Several branches have “beer money” buckets inviting contributions from the public. I don’t blame them and wish the staff well for the future.
I will miss them as I still miss Tandy, just about using the last free battery.

Peter
Old 19th May 2018, 6:03 pm   #534
emeritus
Dekatron

Pound shop SR44 batteries are unlikely to be Silver Oxide types.
Old 19th May 2018, 7:19 pm   #535
Refugee
Dekatron

They might have been LR44?
Old 19th May 2018, 7:22 pm   #536
Jolly 7
Octode

The Southampton High Street branch is closing in nine days' time, the Bevois Valley Road branch already having closed a fortnight ago. The cable rolls are now very cheap and some cut cable with spools can be had for 10 p. Clip-on battery holders of various sizes are now around 60p each. I bought some Hylec teetubes, remote control LED outdoor lights, a 6.25mm male to 3.5mm RCA female cable and a drone. The component drawers with some parts inside are still marked at £25/.
Old 19th May 2018, 8:30 pm   #537
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
You can get a fair number of SR44 cells off of those A4 cards of cells at pound shops and even supermarkets.
I have even seen them on the pound shelf in Tesco of all places.
Yes, I've seen them too of course, but they alkaline ones. Most digital calipers call for a silver oxide SR44 1.55V cell, not that may bother to read the instructions.

The instructions on the ones that I uses state: 'Power Source - Silver Oxide 1.55V SR44, capacity 180mAh'.

Alkaline ones will work for a while, but it's not long before the digits start flashing indicating low battery.

I usually buy branded silver oxide ones online, but Maplin were cheap today so I stocked up while I could.
Old 19th May 2018, 8:54 pm   #538
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Luton is going next week with all stock remaining going to Stevenage.

I cleared Stevenage of over 600 RF connectors today - "head office" had sent a load into them.

There are bargains to be had - I got two rolls of "test lead" wire for £1 each
Old 20th May 2018, 11:10 pm   #539
Zelandeth
Heptode

Milton Keynes store still has no set date apparently for closure.

Bought some 3 metre PS/2 extension leads yesterday - £0.10 each!

... suffice to say they got a fiver dropped in the tip jar on the counter!
Old 21st May 2018, 10:37 am   #540
electronicskip
Nonode

Gloucester store still open this morning , not a great deal left but up to 80% off.
Bought a 3mtr HDMI Cable but nothing else took my fancy in all honesty.
Closed Thread