UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2009, 9:09 pm   #1
Valleyjinker
Retired Dormant Member

Default Mis-representation of vintage recording techniques

This has been driving me mad for years but tonight takes the biscuit.

The Navy Lark on BBC Radio 7.

I do know this broadcast might be a recovered recording off the wireless and onto a 1960s domestic recorder.

Tonight's broadcast at 7 pm was introduced by Continuity with the comment that it's "a bit scratchy but it was a long time ago". There followed the usual azimuth varied intro to the prog with simultanneous added light surface noise. Used to that.

Then the prog got going. The was a sort of rapid 'print through' style feint pre-echo effect you would ecpect from an ancient 15 ips tape recording, but with a simultaneous gross dodgy-azimuth effect AND the same lightly added surface crackle noise.

Next, the cast's performance was treated to a genuine attempt to reduce noise using a digital signal processing algorithm - I could hear the very feint monkey-chatter effect - but with added surface noise which the dsp could have easily removed.

Finally the the cast's efforts were treated with a very generous helping of cyclic disc noise.

In all seriousness, Continuity's comment may have been spontaneous, she just had no idea of what had been done to the performance.

I'm sure we all know it happens all day every day, but here's a perfectly apolitical example.

Honesty.

I don't mean to start a big argument, maybe no-one cares at all. But I DO, and I feel better now!

Here's a tip: If you get wound up by wide-bandwith crackles superimposed onto narrow-bandwidth vintage recordings, just change from Radio 4 FM to long wave. Works beautifully.
Old 20th Jan 2009, 9:14 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Mis-representation of vintage recording techniques

Yes, I find it intensely irritating too.

How many times do you see someone on the telly putting a record on a huge, quality radiogram, then hear music that sounds like it's coming out of a portable wind-up gramophone

The opposite sometimes happens too. I saw an odd Scandinavian film at the weekend in which one chap was a music enthusiast (even wearing gloves to change his 78s). But there was no audiable background noise, and each side seemed to last an unbelievably long time.

N.
Old 21st Jan 2009, 1:11 pm   #3
Station X

Default Re: Mis-representation of vintage recording techniques

This sort of discussion is Off Topic for the forums. It would be better to discuss it here:-

Digital Spy

Closed.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread