UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2014, 2:06 am   #1
Sparkster77
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hitachi V422 Scope

Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle.
I recently bought this as it seemed just what I needed to get involved deeper into Electronics as a hobby, now that I am semi retired.

I cannot find out a lot about the scope, but managed to get hold of a service manual, and would appreciate any help in the testing or servicing of the scope and if there are any "stock" faults of which I should be aware.
It powers up OK, and the trace is clean and the probe calibration seems to work OK.

My next leap into the unknown is to try it out and check to see if it works as it should, so I am looking for low voltage circuits to play with.
Thank you in advance for any info.
Old 1st Feb 2014, 10:00 am   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Hitachi V422 Scope

They are a good general purpose scope, the only common fault that has cropped up is a circuit protector in the astig control, this would be evident if the trace was skewed and not correctable with the control.
There is also a wealth of information online regarding using the scope on simple circuits, if you intend on using it on mains powered sets that do not have a mains transformer then you will need an isolation transformer.
Utube has some interesting videos that are easy to follow on simple circuits.
Old 1st Feb 2014, 12:55 pm   #3
Sparkster77
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, thank you for your reply, could you please expand a little on the astig fault you mentioned and a possible fix, mine seems to be ok bu i thought it was just me when i adjust the trace rotation it seems to be slightly off (smallest of amounts) i first noticed it when using the probe calibration and i was adjusting the square wave, i thought it might be just me, or am i being just to picky with an older piece of hardware.
Old 1st Feb 2014, 4:38 pm   #4
Freya
Octode

Well if you can rotate the trace with the preset then it's OK, set trace line when flat, if the square wave looks off then it may be the probe that needs a tweak (possibly).
Old 1st Feb 2014, 5:16 pm   #5
Sparkster77
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you, iI can rotate the trace , you are probably right about the probes as they came with the unit and iI dont know much about them they are HP 2060 60MHz.
Closed Thread