UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2014, 10:10 am   #1
Richard984
Retired Dormant Member

Default Cossor 1035 MKIII

I had one of these at the tender age of 14 and it was my first contact with professional oscilloscopes and left me somewhat obsessed with these machines from the hay-day of valves! Some of you will know that I have what I describe as a "Retirement Home For Vintage Oscilloscopes" here in North Carolina and somebody from England recently offered me an example of this machine, I jumped at the opportunity! Having gone through it in depth, I find myself newly impressed, even in the face of Tektronix excellence. I think it is not widely understood that the 1035 may be the first dual trace oscilloscope capable of measuring time and voltage directly?
I would appreciate input on the year the original 1035 was introduced, also the following later models including of course, the MKIII.
Here is my narrative on it:

http://richardsears.wordpress.com/20...or-1035-mkiii/

Best,
Richard Sears
Old 27th Jan 2014, 9:48 pm   #2
6AL5W-Martin
Hexode

Default Re: Cossor 1035 MKIII

hello Richard,

always amazing to read your site.
That is a wonderful old instrument.

I have a little problem with the application:

EAC 91 cannot be there.

E 6,3v A single diode C triode 91 = 7pins socket

The application looks more like a EBC91,

E 6,3v B double diode , C triode 91 = 7pins socket

greetings
Martin
Old 28th Jan 2014, 12:34 am   #3
Richard984
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Martin.

Yes indeed. That is a straight scan from the book however, the actual implementation in the scope (given further down) is correct.

I added a note under the circuit pointing out the error which must be an ancient typo! I gave you credit for noticing it, thanks!

Richard

Last edited by AC/HL; 28th Jan 2014 at 2:47 am. Reason: PS merged
Old 28th Jan 2014, 5:05 pm   #4
6AL5W-Martin
Hexode

hello Richard,

not sure if the application have a mistake in the type or in the picture bec. there is only on diode used, the second ist groundet. So a EAC91 may work at that place also...
EAC91 have one full seperated diode, means both kathode have to be connected extern. EBC91 have 2 diode, common kathode.

So it`s possible in the scope works a EAC91 early version, late version? Sometimes things change in a series.

greetings
Martin
Old 28th Jan 2014, 8:07 pm   #5
Richard984
Retired Dormant Member

I included the schematic from the text book because it is of historical interest being the first reference I found to the timebase design in the 1035. If you look under the design notes further down, I have written a detailed description of the timebase operation and included the actual schematic as used in the scope.

Cheers.
Richard
Old 29th Jan 2014, 3:57 pm   #6
John_BS
Octode

Richard:

I had one of these in 1972, scrapped from Imperial College. I think it must have been a Mk 1, as it contained EF50's and other octal valves. The Mk 1 circuit was different to the Mk 3, and the Y amp frequency response on A1 was a function of the Y sensistivity setting (a consequence of using switched nfb to define the channel gain). Mine had a leather-clad spring-steel band as the carrying handle: the leather had disintegrated, resulting in a tortuous transport experience! It eventually failed due to an insulation breakdown in the EHT winding.

WME_Bill posted some details of these 'scopes some years ago: see https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=20711

According to Bill, your Mk 3 was introduced in 1959.

John
Old 29th Jan 2014, 6:16 pm   #7
emeritus
Dekatron

This looks similar to the Cossor scope I once had, scrapped from Plessey: in the early 1980's mine also failed due to EHT transformer breakdown. The trace was indeed superb, as sharp and clear as the Tektronix's we used at work. I offered it free for spares in one of the free small ads that "Television" used to provide, and someone came and collected it. I think I still have a Xerox copy of the service manual somewhere. A really heavy bit of kit.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 8:55 am   #8
Richard984
Retired Dormant Member

I hope my unit does not succumb to EHT winding failure too!
On heavy, not really heavy, the big Tek scopes have a good 10lb on it, frankly, it was a relief to work on something smaller and lighter for a while. That's my perspective
Richard
Closed Thread