UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2016, 12:01 pm   #1
sdouglaspe
Retired Dormant Member

Default 162 telephone poor receive volume - faulty dial?

Hi,

I'm experiencing low receive volume on a GPO type 162 telephone.
I upgraded the receiver type from the original 1L to a 2P, which has increased the volume slightly but it's still very quiet.
I've now discovered that when listening to incoming call, if I rotate the dial slightly until it's almost over the number zero the receive volume suddenly increases to an acceptable level.
Can someone please verify if this is normal behaviour for a telephone of this type or if this indicates a possible fault with the dial contacts?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Steve
Old 8th Jan 2016, 12:06 pm   #2
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Re: 162 telephone poor receive volume - faulty dial?

It's very ABnormal. With the dial pulled 'round you shouldn't be hearing anything.

Rather than being faulty it sounds more like it's not wired properly.

One of our more knowledgeable brethren will no doubt be along shortly.

— Joe
Old 8th Jan 2016, 12:43 pm   #3
sdouglaspe
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, it's odd. The telephone works fine otherwise but If I move the dial to (almost) the zero position it's clearly opening or closing a set of contacts which increases the volume. Not had a dial phone for a long time so I can't remember if this is "normal" or not... probably not though.

It wouldn't surprise me if the phone is wrongly wired as it was presented as a type 232 but it's definitaly a 162 phone (no ASTIC) with a 232 drawer base & diagram added so there's a bit of a history of changes there.

It's all part of the fun of owning vintage equipment though!

Cheers, Steve
Old 8th Jan 2016, 3:57 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

This sounds similar to the problem I had on one of my corded PMBXes a while back - the problem you describe occurred when I put the operator into circuit. I found that the cam operating the dial-off-normal contacts of the operator's dial had worked loose and slipped into a position where they had become dial-on-normal contacts. Returning the cam to the correct position and tightening the loose screw sorted the problem.
Old 12th Jan 2016, 1:55 am   #5
mawdsjeff
Retired Dormant Member

Check the dial colours are correct, orange pink brown grey blue, from the pulsing springs, the number 12 is the other way round. The off-normal springs may be touching, check those. Finally, the transformer (induction coil) is made for the receiver 1L, it does not usually make it better putting in a 2P receiver. Just turn the diaphragm around the other way (flip it over that usually works!) Check both switch-hook contacts as well. The 162 is not as good transmission as the 232 and 332. Geoff Mawdsley
Closed Thread