UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2014, 9:00 am   #1
vosperd
Hexode

Default HP8601A Output Level

Hi,
Noticed that the output voltage is limiting at about 1.8v on the 3V range into a 50 Ohm load. Just wondering if this is normal for these sets. I gather that the output device in the video Amp is prone to failure and originals are unobtainable. I see someone is selling a replacement but I've a few other things on my wanted list at the moment.
Don m5aky
Old 28th Jan 2014, 9:37 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: HP8601A Output Level

I've used them many times, but back in the '70s. I never thought of the output voltage, rather the output power, and it should work to the top of the scale.

The output level is controlled by a levelling loop with an amplitude detector controlling a variable gain amp, so that the output is fairly flat even on wide sweeps. It's part of an old 110MHz network analyser system.

David
Old 28th Jan 2014, 11:02 am   #3
vosperd
Hexode

Thanks for the reply. I understand about the power.
When I look at the output on a scope the sine wave tends to flatten off when I get to 1.8V on the 3v range. I guess it should be a perfect sine wave up to the top of the scale.
Don
Old 28th Jan 2014, 3:38 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Power supplies OK?

David
Old 28th Jan 2014, 4:42 pm   #5
vosperd
Hexode

Power supplies are ok as far as I can see.
I'll do some more checks later. Having a browse through the manual for now.
Don
Old 28th Jan 2014, 5:34 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

The output amplifiers are thin-film hybrids, I'm afraid.

David
Old 28th Jan 2014, 6:48 pm   #7
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

I've never used one of these generators but you might be able to (externally) diagnose if there is an issue with the loop gain in the levelling system by testing it in AM mode.

As it runs out of loop gain I expect that the peaks of the AM will flatten off as it goes open loop.

However, I'd expect the generator to derate the maximum carrier level allowed if you select AM because it needs 6dB headroom for the AM. Or maybe it is designed such that it can AM modulate even at max carrier level? (Many types of RF sig gens will back off the max level allowed by 6dB when you select AM mode)

If there does turn out to be a problem it might just be that there isn't enough loop gain to keep it in closed loop so the final amplifier might still be healthy and the problem is further back?
Old 29th Jan 2014, 1:05 am   #8
orbanp1
Heptode

Hi Don,

I have the same unit, and I had similar problems.
I bought the equipment in semi/nonoperational condition.
I was lucky, I just had to re-seat the power supply board, and the output hybrid chip.
Having re-seated the output chip I got full output at all attenuator levels.

Good luck, Peter
Old 29th Jan 2014, 9:40 am   #9
Radio Wrangler

They should be reliable, unless someone transmits into the output, and then it's usually the attenuator that cops it.

David
Old 30th Jan 2014, 10:18 am   #10
vosperd
Hexode

This one has been reliable and otherwise works well. I did have an accident with it some while ago and damaged the output device but managed to find a used replacement. Don't think I'm going to be lucky a second time if that is the problem.
I'll have a good look at the supplies and check connections etc. Might be a case of leaving well enough alone.
Many thanks for all the advice.
Regards
Don
Closed Thread