UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2010, 10:50 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Please help identify this telephone

Hello all.

It's rare to find me in this section of the Forum, but I have a black Bakelite instrument that needs to be restored to correct visual appearance for a static 1930s museum display. It doesn't actually need to work.

What I need is the correct dial, presumably a chrome-plated metal one, plus the handle for the little drawer in the base. But before posting a 'parts wanted' request, I thought it best to ask if anyone knows what model phone it is, and what type of dial will fit.

Many thanks for any information.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone 001.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	38545  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 24th Jul 2010, 11:04 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Please help identify this telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
What I need is the correct dial, presumably a chrome-plated metal one, plus the handle for the little drawer in the base.
Phil,

It looks like a type 232 BPO instrument, in which case the dial should be a BPO No:10 slipping-cam dial (You'd probably get away with a No:12 trigger-dial but the No:12 finger-stop is slightly narrower and might not stand scrutiny. Both dials will fit OK.

The numbers might be plain or lettered, in accordance with where the instrument had come from. Have a look on here and see what you make of it.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 24th Jul 2010, 11:10 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

That looks like a Siemens Neophone, the more familiar version being the GPO 162 or, in this case, the 1/162. The cords suggest a non GPO version too.

A black fingerplate is not unauthentic (especially on non GPO versions) although something doesn't look quite right about the one fitted. The centre looks too big and it appears to be a plastic one off an early 706, is it?

A Type 10 or 12 chrome dial would look better or the GEC version, the number of which escapes me right now. Don't forget that if you're able to fit a Director dial it should have the correct type of label too, or it will look a bit daft.
Old 25th Jul 2010, 2:41 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thank you, Russell and Darren. I'm impressed! The story behind this 'phone is that I have had it for a number of years, and I believe it originated in an old hospital internal or PBX system. I vaguely remember rigging it up as a simple intercom system as a youngster, and it may not have had a dial at all to begin with. I'm pretty sure that I fitted its current dial, which (well spotted Darren!) doesn't look authentic because it was originally a clear perspex one that I painted black! And I also recently robbed the original cord to replace a badly worn cord on one of my model F field telephones, plus both the microphone and earpiece inserts for the same purpose...

OK, from the link provided by Russell a 'dial, automatic, No. 10LA' would certainly appear to be the most visually appropriate. Again, this doesn't need to work and could even be a faulty unit. Right, I'm off to post a "wanted" request!

Thanks very much to you both for your help.

Old 25th Jul 2010, 3:01 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

That black fingerplate actually sticks out a mile as being plastic because these (early ones at least) were slightly raked towards the perimeter, whereas metal ones were flat. That's how I spotted it.
Old 25th Jul 2010, 3:02 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Thanks very much to you both for your help.
You're welcome.

Attached is a contemporaneous photograph (1947) of a 232 - a 1/162 is outwardly similar - where you will note the dial finger-stop width, and also the three-core plaited handset lead.

Has your telephone got a number stamped on the base at all?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	232.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	38579  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 25th Jul 2010, 10:23 pm   #7
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

No, Russell, there's nothing stamped on the base at all.

I notice the different cord, which is plaited on the GPO instrument but overall cotton-covered on mine. The original was the same, cotton-covered and virtually identical to the cords on both my field telephones model F, which is why I swapped them.

This seems to indicate that my 'phone is not a GPO model. Not to worry, however; a chrome plated dial will make it look much more 'correct' and I'll pick up a correct cord at next year's NVCF.

Thanks again for your interest,

Closed Thread