UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2021, 1:26 pm   #1
Freya
Octode

Default Back Panel Reproduction

Is there anyone on the forum who offers a CNC based back panel reproductions, i have a rubbing of a panel with measurements that needs to be produced.
Neil24-7 used to do them for me but has not been online for a very long time.

Thanks
Old 29th Sep 2021, 4:51 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Back Panel Reproduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Is there anyone on the forum who offers a CNC based back panel reproductions, i have a rubbing of a panel with measurements that needs to be produced.
Neil24-7 used to do them for me but has not been online for a very long time.

Thanks
See post #5 at this thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=182836

Basically, Neil makes slate signs professionally and has a CNC router and is adept with the software necessary to design radio back panels from a 'rubbing' or dimensioned sketch, but he spent an inordinate amount of time to produce batches of backs for radios such as the Wartime Civilian Receiver and Bush DAC90A, offering them at about half a realistic retail price that other suppliers (EG in Europe) charge. Not a single request for the '90A.

As explained in the earlier thread, I believe Neil trades as 'Tranquility UK' on ebay, where he sells his slate signs. (not the spelling of 'tranquilty' - one 'l' not two).

Might be worth contacting him there to see if he can help:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/tranquili...p2047675.l2559

Out of curiosity, what model radio is it?

Ben Djikman has a small selection of backs for UK radios, (EG 444 People's Sets) but if he doesn't have what you need in stock, as with dials, he doesn't generally do one-offs due to set up costs, so someone would have to get enough people interested to order a batch.

https://www.bendijkman.nl/index.php?...oduct&ipath=11

Good luck in your quest Stephen.
Old 1st Oct 2021, 6:44 am   #3
slidertogrid
Octode

Not a single request for the '90A.

I know I am stating the obvious but the Bush DAC90A back doesn't suffer heat damage like the DAC90 does. I have yet to find a 90 without some damage to the back from the dropper. I have never seen a burnt one on a 90A though and if missing there are usually a few spares about from scrap sets as due to it's long production run there are still many sets and parts of sets around.

Maybe that is why there was no interest? I would expect there to be a market for the 90 Back though. There is (or was) a seller on ebay offering a repair section or a repaired 90 back on a exchange basis.
I would expect there would be a limited market for replacement backs for the Tesla Talisman as they also suffer heat damage and due to the shape are harder to repair than a Bush back but probably not so many sets around in this country as the Bush DAC90...
Rich
Old 1st Oct 2021, 9:07 am   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Not a single request for the '90A.

I know I am stating the obvious but the Bush DAC90A back doesn't suffer heat damage like the DAC90 does. I have yet to find a 90 without some damage to the back from the dropper. I have never seen a burnt one on a 90A though and if missing there are usually a few spares about from scrap sets as due to it's long production run there are still many sets and parts of sets around.

Maybe that is why there was no interest? I would expect there to be a market for the 90 Back though. There is (or was) a seller on ebay offering a repair section or a repaired 90 back on a exchange basis.

I would expect there would be a limited market for replacement backs for the Tesla Talisman as they also suffer heat damage and due to the shape are harder to repair than a Bush back but probably not so many sets around in this country as the Bush DAC90...
Rich
I've re-checked what Neil offered, and it was in fact DAC90 backs, so it was my mistake in saying they were DAC90As.

As you say Rich, there is an eBay listing by another seller for a top RH corner repair panel. I won't give the link - but they're described as:

'VINTAGE BUSH DAC90 RADIO CNC MACHINED BACK PANEL REPAIR CORNER'.

Here is what Neil said:

Quote:

"I know there's a demand for radio panels so I've made some using MDF, DAC90 £12 each including post, message if interested".

Unquote.

He went on to say:

Quote:

" If can get a scanned image of a panel and the dimensions I can make virtually any panel, even if the panel is too big for the flatbed scanner I can piece multi images together, so far I have made: Wartime Civilian Receiver, DAC90, DAC90A, AC91, AC31, AC41, PB12, Philips B2G81U, GEC BC5441, Pye P93WU".

Unquote.

On 8 July 2017 Neil stated:

Quote:

"I'll put something on services offered as the panels I make cover a lot more models now due to the help of forum members, a big thank you to everyone who sent me scans, keep them coming".

Unquote.

To the best of my knowledge, there wasn't a listing, so for whatever reason, I guess Neil had a change of heart, and refocused his efforts on his slate signs.

As to the Tesla Talisman, Ben Djikman does superb ones for the 308U at a price which properly reflects the set-up and production costs for small runs:

https://www.bendijkman.nl/tesla-308u?ipath=11

I think for most radios with missing backs, (knobs, dials), the best that can be hoped for is that one will turn up from a scrap radio, but if the radio isn't commonplace, the chances are slim.

Good luck to Stephen in his quest.
Old 3rd Oct 2021, 12:17 am   #5
dakster
Tetrode

FYLP restorations can potentially make you a one off. I found them on Etsy, they are based in New York so shipping and import duty will be expensive. Not used them, but am considering having one done.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/6471...de-radio-backs

Last edited by dakster; 3rd Oct 2021 at 12:20 am. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread