UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2020, 6:16 pm   #41

Default Re: Making a wooden project case

That displays the end grain nicely rather than trying to hide it, I like it.
Quote:
Here are a few pics of home made plinth.
Shouldn't IEC C14 panel plugs be mounted earth pin down?

Old 9th Oct 2020, 6:25 pm   #42
paulsherwin

You can use very simple construction techniques and still finish up with something that looks very presentable. You don't even need to bother with dowelling/pins, just measure everything carefully, glue it with strong glue like epoxy, and clamp it until the glue sets.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 8:01 pm   #43
john.north
Pentode

Hello,
You’re right merlin nothing wrong with your eyes, but I marked it out and before I realised I’d cut the hole and it was in. It was just something I had to hand and I think it looks better than a figure of eight or a grommet. The earth pin isn’t used. Merlin/Paul I decided on butt and dowel as opposed to mitre for two reasons. First it’s easier to clamp and you can exert enough pressure to squeeze the pva out through the grain. Secondly no corners to worry about. I finished it with five coats of Colron finishing oil, rub in with a cloth and rub off the excess let dry and repeat. The first coat soaks in to the wood and dries pretty quick and looks dull but with each following coat it begins to shine. The finish in the pics is how it dried after the fifth coat, it hasn’t been buffed. The secret is thin coats and wipe off the excess. I will post more pics if required.
John.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 10:54 pm   #44
Oldcodger
Nonode

I also forgot to mention that larger B & Q used to offer a cutting service for timber bought in store. They used to place a limit on the number of free cuts, but I noticed that the blokes never paid too much attention to that. For anyone like me ( and possibly any of the others , and from posts pasts it seems a lot of us suffer from poor carpentry techniques), I'd suggest one of these ( as in photo). I've no idea of the cost. I rescued this from a shed in a house my daughter had bought. Blade was a few ££ as the origonal one was rusty . )
It made light work of 2x2 inch timber for the workbench and other work surfaces I built in my den AKA a spare bedroom.
I've no idea what it's called, but it can make mitre (45degree) joints very easy to do . It can handle timber up to 7inches wide for a straight cut ( with juggling), and angle cuts with a plank up to almost 7 inches vertically to get an angled cut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0457.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	217484  
Old 10th Oct 2020, 5:45 pm   #45
mhennessy
Dekatron

I used to have one of those mitre saws, and did a lot of good stuff with it. I got mine from Scewfix for about £15, which struck me as incredible value for money at the time (about 20 years ago). I see they still sell something similar:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hand-mitre-saw/126fg
Old 10th Oct 2020, 7:56 pm   #46
greenstar
Octode

There are some packing cases, the sort that come from India etc with stone slabs and other things in - they are just a strong frame made from timber about an inch by maybe three inches. Held together by nails and thin plates. I have found this wood cleans up very nicely. it's a faff taking them apart and getting the nails out, but it can be an attractive hard wood. I halve it on a bandsaw and can glue two together for a wider panel. I do this because I enjoy scavenging and recycling, but it is a source of free timber.
Old 10th Oct 2020, 8:42 pm   #47

I have one of those mitre saws, very handy. Big tip, clamp or screw (mine has holes for screws) to a substantial table/bench/thing. It makes them much more useable as all your arm waving goes into the cutting. I must get one of these https://www.toolstation.com/corner-clamp/p85872 if I do any more right angle wood work.

Old 10th Oct 2020, 11:23 pm   #48
Oldcodger
Nonode

I find that holding the timber to be cut against the rear section with one hand steadies the whole thing. I did at one time clamp it to a saw bench, but that has failed the Swimbo clean up test and has gone to the tip.
Closed Thread