UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2014, 10:23 pm   #1
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Bush TUG12B

A few questions if I may.

Firstly, when removing the chassis should I expect the 12" tube to want to fall out a-la-TV24 or is it fairly secure ? Secondly, do you think the tube is supported well enough to be able to rest the chassis on its side when working on it ?

Also, any TV12-specific things I should check (on top of the usual checks) before applying some juice ?

TTFN,
Jon
Old 11th Dec 2014, 10:38 pm   #2
line sync
Heptode

Default Re: Bush TUG12B

Hi Jon , I seem to recall the TUG12 crt fittings are the same as the TUG24 so you want to be care full the crt has not stuck to the mask and make sure the crt neck clamp is tight .
I would think the chassis is ok to service lay on it`s side but make sure that neck clamp is tight.

Robin
Old 11th Dec 2014, 11:26 pm   #3
petertheorgan
Hexode

I seem to remember that when I restored the TUG 12 for the museum a couple of years ago , I had an arrangement with an elastic bungee cord across the front of the tube to hold it in position while I was working on it
Old 12th Dec 2014, 9:31 am   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It's very easy to snap the neck of the CRT when servicing the TUG12/24. I have seen a couple that fractured at the point where the neck joins the bowl causing an implosion. Just take care and secure as Peter suggested. The edge of the bowl is also a very delicate area. These are TRF receivers and therefore fixed tuned to either London or Birmingham. Nice receivers! John.
Old 12th Dec 2014, 10:36 am   #5
Duke_Nukem
Octode

thanks chaps .. so it is as I feared Think this one is going to have to go back on the roundtuit pile until I can coerce someone into removing the CRT. With the limited visibility provided by a torch it did look like the CRT would come away with the crt ?

The chassis is covered in dust and looks to have been stored in dry conditions. The only previous signs that any work was ever done to it is the insulation tape on the speaker wires so i guess the chassis must have been out once.

The receipt shows it was purchased just a few days before the Brum transmitter properly opened. It deserves to live !

TTFN,
Jon
Closed Thread