UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2010, 5:29 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Harpenden Format?

I've never been to a Harpenden event, and as we're going down to Essex that day, it's possible, if not probable that I'll be able to attend the event on 6 June, which I know is also the BVWS AGM.

I'd be intereted in any info about the format.

Firstly, I assume that it's a BVWS member only event, but presumably guests, such as my director of finance (otherwise known as 'my wife') will be able to attend, not that she'd be enamoured at the prospect of sitting through a lengthy AGM. If I subjected her to that, it might risk being grounds for divorce

So, what time does it start please, what's the programme, and how long does the AGM itself take? Is the AGM usually a brisk affair, with a report on the accounts, review of the year, election of officers etc, or is there likely to be a long agenda under AOB?

Is this an 'auction only' event with items having to be booked in prior to the event, or are their also tables with the usual 'swapmeet' bits and bobs, and a bring and buy? Presumably if one wishes to bid for items in the auction, it's necessary to stay until the end to settle up for any items for which bids are sucessful?

To give me an idea of scale, how does it compare in size to - for example - Lowton, which is a small affair, but which I always try to combine with a visit to friends in Liverpool.

Sorry to ask so many questions - I like to try to support events when I can, and it's always nice to chat to friends and acquaintences and to put faces to names, but I'd rather know what I'm letting myself in for, given that it's a lengthy de-tour for me to attend.

Now might be a good time to thank all those who work so hard to make the BVWS such a success story, giving much of their own time, running events, keeping the fiances i good order, sourcing components for members such as capacitors, produce DVDs and the bull, which seems to get better with every issue etcc etc!

David
Old 18th May 2010, 6:20 pm   #2
murphymad
Heptode

Default Re: Harpenden Format?

Hello David,

General Harpenden meetings are a hall about 5 times the size of Lowton filled with stalls full of goodies. There are also tables for the BVWS and Bring and Buy in the front entrance and another smaller hall like Lowton which is used for talks, displays or more stalls.
There is normally an auction at about 1 pm containing up to 200 lots of assorted items from the stalls on the day and also from the many collections we get in for disposal.
Usual times are 9am doors open to pay your entry fee etc. and then 10am for the event start which usually goes on until around 4 pm with an auction at 1pm onwards.

This coming Harpenden is different...

Because it is the main Auction and AGM event the day is slightly different.

The main hall is filled with tables that contain all of the lots for the auction (up to about 300 normally). This is for buyer viewing. The rest of the main hall is filled with chairs for buyers.
The small hall and entrance hall is filled with traders tables.

The doors to the hall open at 9am for getting tickets and for those bringing items into the auction.
9:30 am - Viewing in the main hall starts.
10:30am - Auction starts promptly.
12:00pm - break for 15 mins.
12:15pm - AGM starts (this should last less than an hour)
13:30pm(ish) - Auction restarts until finish.

The BVWS table with all the usual will be in the front entrance hall and so will the Bring & Buy tables.

Your financial director will be made very welcome as your guest for the day.

There is a catering firm that runs the restaurant so hot and cold food is available all day long.

Hope this is of some help,

Mike...
Old 19th May 2010, 5:29 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Thanks for reading my posting Mike, and for your helpful response. It certainly sounds a well organised affair, and worth doing a detour for, so with a following wind, hopefully we'll get there in time to see some action!

Hope all goes well with the auction, and more particularly, the AGM!

Regards,

David
Old 30th May 2010, 1:55 pm   #4
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Harpenden Format?

Hello there,
I am interested in going but I am not currently a BVWS member. Can I come along and join up as a member on the door or would I have to become a member beforehand?

Many thanks,

Christopher Capener
Old 30th May 2010, 7:12 pm   #5
murphymad
Heptode

Hi Christopher,

Please do come along. You will able to see Graham Terry on the door to join.

See you Sunday,

Mike...
Old 5th Jun 2010, 1:39 pm   #6
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Harpenden Format?

Hello there,
Is parking an issue at Harpenden? I have just looked at google maps and on finding the hall there appears not to be many parking spaces. I don't really want to travel there (over 100 miles each way) and find I cannot park anywhere near the hall as knowing me I will buy something very heavy !!.

Can I bring some things for the Bring and buy?
Many thanks,
Christopher Capener
Old 5th Jun 2010, 2:02 pm   #7
ianm
Hexode

Hi Christopher,

Parking in the immediate vicinity can be tricky, unless you arrive very early. Personally, I never bother to try and park as close as possible, preferring instead to leave my car in one of the nearby streets where there are plenty of spaces at the roadside.

In the event of buying something large, it is possible to bring your vehicle right up to the front or back of the hall for a short time, for the purposes of loading up. As the days wears on though, spaces close to the hall become more readily available, as folks drift off home.

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 5th Jun 2010, 5:01 pm   #8
Duke_Nukem
Octode

The railway station is close by and has a big car park - never a problem with spaces there.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 5th Jun 2010, 5:40 pm   #9
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Parkign right outside is limited but there's never any great trouble in the side streets. As Ian says, you can bring the car up to collect if necessary.
Old 5th Jun 2010, 7:33 pm   #10
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Does anyone have the correct postcode for Harpenden meet. I've tried clicking on the BVWS link but it won't display the page. Colin.
Old 5th Jun 2010, 8:32 pm   #11
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Don't worry,found it on Google. Thanks.
Old 5th Jun 2010, 9:04 pm   #12
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Beware though. I found a map on Google which showed it in completely the wrong place. Fortunately, I had plenty of time to explore the environs of Harpenden - and found it about 100 yards from where I had parked, but in the opposite direction from where I was searching.