UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2010, 2:01 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default June: Garden Party & Harpenden

If you haven't booked your Garden Party tickets yet there's not much time left before June 5th. They are £12 per person, send cheques made out to the Vintage Wireless Musuem. There should have been a booking form in the last Bulletin. If you've never been to the Garden Party before it's a great day.

Harpenden is the following day so it's a whole weekend of vintage wireless. It's the AGM and auction so trading stalls will be in the small hall. Bring and Buy as usual in the foyer. I hope that the loyal helpers will be willing and able.

I understand that there will be a demo of 240 line TV on a Marconiphone 702. A chance to compare 405 and 240 as they would have been seen in 1936. This demo is a joint effort between Mike Barker and Russell Atkinson. Lugging a 702 from Manchester to Harpenden isn't trivial (if you've ever lifted a 702 you'll know they are quite heavy with nowhere convenient to grab hold of) but it should seem like light work after the NVCF radiogram display
Old 15th May 2010, 4:38 pm   #2
murphymad
Heptode

Default Re: June: Garden Party & Harpenden

Just a reminder to all,

PLEASE book your tickets for the Garden party in advance of the event if at all possible. This will help with calculating the amount of food and drink needed.
There is always plenty to go round, but if everyone just turns up on the day it may be war time rations for all !!!

Dont' delay, get your booking form in as soon as possible. They were sent out with the Spring Bulletin.
If you have lost yours then just send a short note with your remittance of £12 per person (or £10 if you are a member of the friends group) to the museum at the usual address (found in the Bulletin) and your tickets will be sent back to you, but please send an SAE as well.

Also anyone looking to enter items in the BVWS Harpenden Auction, then please get your forms sent back to me as soon as you can as I will shortly be lotting in the items and creating the catalogues.

An online catalogue will be put up on the BVWS website in the week before the auction.

Thanks,

Mike...
Old 1st Jun 2010, 9:43 pm   #3
murphymad
Heptode

Bouncing this one as it is important!

If you have not yet booked tickets for the BVWS Garden Party, then Please let Eileen at the Musuem know so that she can gauge the food required.

The Harpenden Auction Catalogues have now been sent out to everyone who sent in an SAE to recieve one or those people who booked items into the Auction. They will also recieve their auction lot number labels as well.

I will send the Auction catalogue to Paul in the next few minutes for him to up load to the BVWS website for all to see under the auctions section.

Mike...
Old 1st Jun 2010, 10:35 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The catalogue now available here
http://www.bvws.org.uk/auctions/Harp...ction-Lots.pdf

Note that extra lots will probably be added on the day.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 1st Jun 2010, 11:17 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Don't forget the Bring and Buy, raising money for the Vintage Wireless Museum as usual. Bring stuff to donate for sale or sell at 10% commission. Mark Hennessey's splendid donations box will make its 2nd appearance.
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 3:00 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I'll be there (with a friend, Andy). First time I've attended a garden party and second time I've attended Harpenden. Fingers crossed for good weather for the garden party.

We'll be staying in Luton on Friday and Saturday night.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 6:18 pm   #7
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Crikey that's brave Paul!

Where are you staying?
Old 3rd Jun 2010, 12:59 am   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Stockwood Hotel, because it's cheap!
Old 3rd Jun 2010, 11:57 am   #9
radiotircoed
Pentode

Wish I could make it. Would love to meet some of the guys on the forum! Maybe next time.

Bob W
Old 4th Jun 2010, 8:17 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I certainly hope to be at the garden party. I spoke to Gerry this morning. Might give the Harley a run out......That way I will be restricted as to the quantity of junk I may aquire. J.
Old 4th Jun 2010, 8:18 pm   #11
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

What time do we have to be at the Garden party ?
Old 4th Jun 2010, 9:10 pm   #12
murphymad
Heptode

Paul,

Around midday and onways

Mike...
Old 5th Jun 2010, 9:19 pm   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Had a really great day at the garden party. Food was nothing short of fabulous and I very much enjoyed stuffing myself. Great to meet Gerry and all the 'gang'. Had a great ride back and decided to take the very rural route through Shere, Gomshall and Ewhurst. Nobody else on the roads. It was like riding in 1936. a similar age to our old treasured junk really, a time warp. Thanks to everyone that arranged it and made such an enjoyable experience. Best regards, John.
Old 5th Jun 2010, 10:13 pm   #14
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I'll echo John's sentiments, a lovely day out and nice to see so many familiar faces, having been away from radio circles for a long time. Thanks to all the people who put in the graft behind the scenes, it takes a huge amount of effort but it's always worth it! And thanks to Gerry of course, long may they continue...

Lucien
Old 5th Jun 2010, 11:20 pm   #15
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Enjoyable day out .Weather perfect .I seam to remember last year being quite dull and cold. Nice to catch up with friends ,and I came back with a Mcmichael suitcase portable ..something I needed ... Mind you I have often thought I may like one ,and at £20 I think was worth it.
Old 5th Jun 2010, 11:21 pm   #16
petertheorgan
Hexode

Can I add to both John and luciens sentiments too , fab day out , fab food and met lots of friends old and new , Long may it continue

Peter
Old 6th Jun 2010, 10:34 pm   #17
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Another great garden party. Good to meet lots of friends. Especially good to have Gerry with us in person this year. Thanks to all those who worked so hard to make it a great day.

I'd also like to thank Peter and Edward for their excellent support on the B&B stall at Harpenden. Although trade was well down on last time we still raised some useful money for the Museum.
Closed Thread