UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2008, 3:28 pm   #1
Geordyboy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help sought: Garrard 35SB Deck in Dynatron

I've recently purchased a Dynatron SRX20 series stereo system. All is well except for two issues regarding the record player deck.
1) When I try to get it to play a record automatically the arm raises, then moves slightly to the right, returns to where it started, pauses, returns to the rest position and then clicks off. However if I flick the 'repeat' switch on the deck, it WILL play the record automatically. However, that is where the second issue highlights itself:
2) When the stylus arm drops down onto the record as per above, it misses out the first 1-2mm of the playing surface.
Are these issues surmountable?
Finally could anybody assist as to where I could source the Garrard instructions which would have originally been supplied this unit ?
Regards

Last edited by Geordyboy; 30th Nov 2008 at 3:37 pm.
Old 30th Nov 2008, 3:58 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Help sought: Garrard 35SB Deck in Dynatron

1) This is the action when the autochanger thinks there's no records on the stacker. This is an autochanger I assume?

On this deck is there an 'Auto' switch position or does the 'Repeat' position serve the same purpose?

I'm not familiar with this particular deck, but with certain Garrard decks it was recommended that you hold the switch over at its 'Auto' (or however it's termed) position until the tonearm lifts off its rest - rather than flick it over and immediately release it.

2) There will likely be a screw beneath the inner end of the tonearm to adjust the dropdown position.
Old 30th Nov 2008, 4:20 pm   #3
Geordyboy
Retired Dormant Member

Darren,
Thank you for your reply.
There is no stacking facility on this deck...it's one at a time!
Looking down at the deck, bottom right hand corner is a lever which moves to two points marked Manual and Automatic. It's a spring action lever which 'clicks' into the Manual position and then continues onto the Automatic.
Top right hand corner (just in from the stylus arm) is a lever switch which moves from 'single play' to 'repeat play'.
I've just tried your suggestion re holding the automatic lever for longer but unfortunately with the same result. Its almost as though in the single play mode that there is a resistance to the arm after it returns from the right. And yet, in the repeat play it flies off to the record!
The screw you refer to re adjusting the drop point of the stylus arm; Is this a tiny screw facing me at the base of the fulcrum for the stylus arm when I lift it up? Sorry i'm no expert at all in this field and I don't want to start doing something I'd have been better off not touching!
Regards
Old 30th Nov 2008, 4:29 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Ah right, sorry about that but it was worth a try.

We have other members who are more familiar with the various deck types; I'm sure they'll post soon.

You may find it's a problem with worn linkage and/or dried up grease, however, but we'll wait and see what the others think.
Old 30th Nov 2008, 9:54 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

Darren's answer seems the more likely, nearly all record decks of this era including BSR and Garrard suffered from Dried up Grease. ISTR that you do have to keep the lever in the Auto position for it to play.

Remove the turntable by releasing the circlip in the centre, you might have to carefully ease off the aluminium disc in the middle to expose the circlip.

To the right hand side of the deck, you will find a large cast gear, it is held in place with a circlip, remove the circlip and carefully remove the gear, use heat from a hairdryer if necessary to ease its removal.

Check the trip pawl is free to move, remove from the cam, clean and lightly lubricate with a drop of oil, refit it to the cam gear.

Clean off all old grease and apply fresh grease, don't forget the centre post.

Reassemble and test the machine.
Old 30th Nov 2008, 11:54 pm   #6
Tom_I
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
Remove the turntable by releasing the circlip in the centre, you might have to carefully ease off the aluminium disc in the middle to expose the circlip.
Be aware, though, that this is a belt-driven deck, and before you lift the turntable off, you should put a finger through one of the access holes and release the belt from the motor-driven pulley. See the diagrams below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35SB.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	21548  
Old 1st Dec 2008, 12:00 pm   #7
Geordyboy
Retired Dormant Member

Gents,
Thank you.. but unfortunately the problem still exists. I have to say that all working parts as referred to seemed to be in fine fettle; no signs of dried up grease or lack of movement. But I stripped them down as suggested, but when re-assembled the problem still manifested itself.
Michael, in answer to your question.. whatever I do to the automatic lever, the stylus arm will not move to the left, past the point where it is directly over the stand where it would rest when not playing. I have held (the stylus arm (very gently!) at the point when it refuses (in single play mode only) to move on towards the record. It feels as if there is a mechanical force preventing it continuing on its path.As I refelected earlier however, once the the lever in top right hand corner of the deck is switched to 'repeat' play, the stylus arm moves through its paces with ease, albeit missing out the first couple of 'lines' of a record.
regards..george
Old 1st Dec 2008, 1:56 pm   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

This sounds like a problem with the linkage activated by the single/repeat control.

When switched to 'single play' the lever should be exactly at the 9 o'clock position; is it? and can you feel any positive mechanical action when the control is operated? Try going beneath the deck and moving the linkage directly.

The setting for the dropdown point, by the way, is an exposed horizontally mounted screw at the rear lefthand side of the tonearm. Turn it about 20deg clockwise and that should correct that problem.

'Tonearm' is the correct name for the 'stylus arm' incidentally.
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 1:33 pm   #9
Geordyboy
Retired Dormant Member

Darren,
You may well be right re that switch. It is in the 9 o clock position as per single play, but moving it towards repeat play there is but the slightest resistance when almost at the repeat play point. I'll access under the deck later this week. I assume that'll mean taking the screwed base out of the Dynatron unit and then releasing the deck from there.
Thanks for info re stylus arm v tonearm!
The adjustment screw at rear l.h.s. of tonearm; should I be able to see this easily? It's just that i've stared and stared at it but can't seem to spot anything as per your suggestion.
regards...george
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 2:01 pm   #10
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Referring back to post #7, you said you'd stripped it and checked for dried grease etc. To do that, you'd have had to remove the deck....so you'll need to follow the same route to check the linkage to that switch.

Going to the rear of the tonearm, there'll be a vertically orientated screw which adjusts the tonearm height. The dropdown lateral adjustment should be just behind that.

I'll have a trawl in a while and see if I can find a picture of the deck. Not owning one I'm not 100% familiar with it, as I said in an earlier post, so what I'm saying is from misty memory.
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 2:20 pm   #11
Tom_I
Heptode

Here's the relevant bit from the user manual.

You can download the manual from Vinylengine. It's free, but you have to register first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35SB2.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	21589  
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 3:33 pm   #12
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Ah that's handy Tom.

George, as you can now see - 19.1 is the dropdown adjuster, to the left of the tonearm base at the bottom.
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 1:58 pm   #13
Geordyboy
Retired Dormant Member

Darren/Tom,
As ever thank you. I accessed the linkage, as much as is visible that is, by removing gearing again as you suggested Darren. Moving the single/repeat lever does not seem to impact on the movement at all and i'm drawing to the conclusion that something has broken on that lever. I removed the one surface screw which is threaded through, next to the lever and although this loosened it, it does not seem that this actually releases it. Therefore I believe i'll have to have to achieve access by actually releasing the whole deck from within the Dynatron casing. Something for the weekend me thinks! Thanks Tom for info re freeload of instructions. I'll join today and hopefully get some more information which might assist in the days to come.
regards..george
Old 3rd Dec 2008, 4:56 pm   #14
Geordyboy
Retired Dormant Member

Gents,
Further to above I think i'm almost there! With somewhat naieve but gentle adjustment on all three screws as per manufacturers instructions (thanks Tom) the tone arm began to operate in single play. Then it was a case of balancing the tone arm and working through the adjustment screws again.
It now works (i believe) as it should but have discovered that stylus itself has seen far better days! I hopefully should have a replacement by post tomorrow or Friday. Then i'll know if its all up and running correctly. I can only assume that somewhere down the line some person set about the deck with a screwdriver, not knowing what they were doing and ruined all the original settings to the point where, amongst other things single play would no longer operate! There's a lesson there..
Regards..george
Old 4th Dec 2008, 11:32 am   #15
Geordyboy
Retired Dormant Member

New stylus arrived this morning and everything works perfectly.
I'm grateful for your help.
regards...george
Old 4th Dec 2008, 11:45 am   #16
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

That's good news then, well done.
Old 4th Dec 2008, 1:52 pm   #17
Tom_I
Heptode

Yes, well done. Glad you've got it sorted.
Closed Thread