UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2008, 9:09 pm   #21
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Replacing caps in dansette RG30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vascoprat View Post
I'm a bit disappointed with the LW reception, which is very noisy. Presumably this is an aerial problem as well?
LW reception is quiet compared to the same station on medium wave. The two sets I have with ferrite aerials, a Kolster Brandes and a Roberts of about the same vintage, have very poor reception on both wavebands compared to a set of a similar vintage with a 15 metre longwire around the bedroom picture rail.

This is hardly surprising.

On the noise problem, please see a very recent thread on this by searching CFT's - there's a lot of encouraging advice and home-brew research in there!
Old 25th Nov 2008, 10:51 pm   #22
vascoprat
Tetrode

My Grundig transistor radio from the early 70s, which I recently repaired, works fantastically on LW at 198KHz. So I guess there's probably something wrong. I moved the coil along the rod but it makes little if no difference. Any suggestions about how to start checking for things which may cause this?
Old 25th Nov 2008, 11:12 pm   #23
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I'm sorry to say that this is where my radio knowlede ends

Have you checked that the waveband switch is clean? Band switching doesn't seem complicated; seems to involve selecting L5 or L6 on the ferrite rod, and bringing C6 into play.

Has anyone else got one of these to let us know what LW performance is like?

Good luck,
Nick.
Old 26th Nov 2008, 10:53 am   #24
vascoprat
Tetrode

Nick
I took your advice and took a look at the band switch. One of the screening wires I had resoldered (badly) had come away. I re-soldered it and hopefully did a better job this time and LW sounds much better now. I am going to put that earth wire in which reduces the background hiss even more. So I think everything will be OK now.
Thanks
vasco
Old 26th Nov 2008, 8:09 pm   #25
vascoprat
Tetrode

Astral Highway
Thanks for the info about CFTs. If my room light is on (energy-saving) and I move my hand near to the chassis the noise increases enormously, but this does not happen when the light is switched off.
Old 26th Nov 2008, 10:13 pm   #26
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vascoprat View Post
It's brown, black, red which is 1000pF. According to the schematic it should be 200 pF.
...but if you read the colours the other way around ...red, black, brown, this is 200 pF.....!

With some of these banded capacitors, the first colour band or blob is sometimes thicker.

Rich.
Old 1st Dec 2008, 6:43 pm   #27
vascoprat
Tetrode

I thought of that but they both have a silver-grey blob as well and if you read them both with the silver blob to the right then they come out as I said before and don't agree with the schematic. Surely you can't read one of them in one direction and the other in another?
Closed Thread