UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2018, 4:01 pm   #1
REDGUUZ
Triode

Default Dynamco 7130/7103/7118

Good afternoon,

Since more than 25 years, I possess a Dynamco Oscilloscope (Display Unit 7130, Timebase 7103 and input amplifiers 7118, see Picture), which I purchased in a Military Dump shop.

The scope is still functioning All Right, but I would welcome any documentation (Service Manual, Operator Instructions etc.).

Especially, I would like to enquire how to make a XY Plot (Lisasjous plot).
I have put the Y signal on Channel 1 (as usual ) and the X signal on the input socket X at the Right Hand side of the scope (button X. EXT. selected).
I do indeed obtain a XY plot, but I cannot see how I can attenuate the X axis (which is possible with e.g. a Tektronix 475).
NB The Y axis (Channel 1) can be varied , as usual.

Does this Dynamco scope lack this feature ( do I have to attenuate the X signal by other means) or is there a hidden trick?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards,

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030537  6.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	166690  
Old 28th Jul 2018, 8:37 pm   #2
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Default Re: Dynamco 7130/7103/7118

Unusual 'scopes, but I fixed and calibrated quite a few for sale. No manuals today, so can only guess. Does the timebase "Cal" control attenuate the X output? Very many scopes have no control over the X output gain, though I would expect something from one of these. No control on the back is there?
These always struck me as a "back to front" in one respect. For simple stuff, the main timebase is quite conventional, but for delayed timebase operation, you have to "move over" to the delaying timebase first, then use the "main" to view the delayed portion. Tek, HP and others so simple and intuitive by comparison. Sorry if none of this is any help.
Les.
Old 28th Jul 2018, 9:43 pm   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

Elektrotanya has a free downloadable copy of the 71 Series manual in ZIP format I think. Not sure whether or not it covers your oscilloscope but may be worth a look.

This is the link:

https://elektrotanya.com/dynamco_71_.../download.html

Alan
Old 29th Jul 2018, 6:50 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Nice scopes, they come apart so the Y amp section, the display and TB section comes apart. I have another type on the roundtuit pile that needs fixing.

WMABill is the resident vintage scope guru here, he may have something on your units.

RE XY mode, on some scopes the time/div knob controls the X axis as you'd expect, on others it only works on one position. If you can't get ant X attenuation with the scope how about using an external pot?

Andy
Old 29th Jul 2018, 5:55 pm   #5
WME_bill
Octode

Dynamco scopes.
They seen to have produced a huge number of similar models, all exploiting their clever idea of the "plug-in" units plugging on the side, so that the size (width) can be varied.
The usual manuals are for the 7100+1Y2 DT 15Mhz +1X2 TB with delay.
The models you quote appear to be later models, usually with improved performance.
The 7130 is the main frame, with wider bandwidth. I have manuals for both 7100 and 7130 versions.
Also for the 7103, which is the dual Time Base, originally known as 1X3. Distinguish from the 1X2 timebase (7102), which has the trigger delay first used when the idea of a delayed sweep was invented. More difficult to use, but was cheaper than a full double timebase & trigger. You find it on the Cossor CDU110, CDU150-CT531, EMI/SELabs 102, Telequipment D53. I think Tektronix and HP both went direct to fitting the Dual TB.
All timebases use a tunnel diode for the trigger. Treat them with great care, and do not test them with an Avo or DVM. Quickest way to destroy them. I have posted data on alternatives and a simple tester some years ago.
7118. I have no data on this. It appears to be a 50Mhz dual trace Y amplifier. May well be similar to the Y Amplifier section used in the 7500 40Mhz scope, a non plug-on model for which I have a manual.
All the models were renumbered around 1969/70, as the earlier Y Amplifiers were in the sequence 1Y2, 1Y4, 1Y7 and 7174.
Can you post pictures of the three units please. I may be able to suggest if any of the above Y amplifiers might help.
wme_bill

Last edited by WME_bill; 29th Jul 2018 at 6:21 pm.
Closed Thread