UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2018, 9:00 pm   #1
tis your junk
Pentode

Default Evershed & Vignoles Insulation & Continuity Tester,Series 2 - how to disassemble?

Hello

I have one of these unit and I can see no way to take it apart - anyone any ideas?

Thanks
TYJ
Old 26th Jul 2018, 9:45 pm   #2
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Re: Evershed & Vignoles Insulation & Continuity Tester,Series 2 - how to disasseble?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, screws under the rubber feet on the bottom?

Andrew
Old 26th Jul 2018, 10:39 pm   #3
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Evershed & Vignoles Insulation & Continuity Tester,Series 2 - how to disasseble?

If it's the alloy bodied one you could encounter siezing. (if so,various strategies apply, possibly the best of which is pre-heat with a soldering iron to crack the corrosion, then penetrating oil of some sort)
Old 29th Jul 2018, 5:50 pm   #4
tis your junk
Pentode

Thanks guys for the replies.

You know anytime I post on here thinking I have a bit of spare time I post and something always takes me away - very frustrating !

However I did find out that it is not a series 2 but the earlier "Meg Tester".

The Meg tester does not have individual rubber feet but bars screwed on the bottom. As I did not have time for heat I gave them a good soak with penetrating oil. We'll see what happens!

Thanks

TYJ
Old 29th Jul 2018, 9:00 pm   #5
Trigon.
Hexode

There was a thread last year about the Series 2 with a couple of useful pictures:-

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/show...63&postcount=1

I don't think there's a huge difference between the 'Meg Tester' and the Series 2. My Series 2 has bars on the bottom as well, held by copper plated screws into blind tapped holes, but doesn't have a removable bottom plate as shown in the link above. The only access is via the end cover, which is retained by slotted nuts hidden under lead seals.

It's a long time since I took mine apart, but I also remember being surprised by the long spring like connectors shown which extended as the two parts were separated.

Cheers
Old 30th Jul 2018, 8:41 pm   #6
tis your junk
Pentode

Trigon

Thanks for the link however, I don't think the bottom comes off of mine - so its back to the lead covered screws.

Can you recommend a way of removing the lead covering so I can get to the screws?

Thanks

TYJ
Old 30th Jul 2018, 9:20 pm   #7
Trigon.
Hexode

I think I just stuck a very sharp scriber into the middle of a seal and levered it out.

I doubt that there's a way of removing them without destroying them - they wouldn't be very useful as anti-tamper seals if there was!

Cheers.
Old 31st Jul 2018, 7:54 pm   #8
tis your junk
Pentode

Trigon

I was considering that as an option but it is always nice to know that someone has had success doing that.

The good news I guess is that it should have kept the damp out!

Thx again

TYJ
Old 1st Aug 2018, 1:30 am   #9
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Evershed & Vignoles Insulation & Continuity Tester,Series 2 - how to disassemble?

They do indeed come out with a sharp scribe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8396.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	166857   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8391.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	166858   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8390.jpg
Views:	46