UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2018, 1:07 pm   #1
thecookie17
Retired Dormant Member

Default Revox A77 CH2 problem

Hi Guys, I recently got myself a Revox a77 mkIV for 200€. I have ordered some 10 1/2" reels to go with it but they have not arrived yet, although I have some old Philips tape I found at my grandfathers house, so I decided to try that. If I record something in stereo, Ch1 sounds fine to me, very good frequency response, however when I switch to stereo or Ch2 I notice a drop on high frequencies on that channel, and the audio becomes kind of muffled and a bit unstable. I have already tried cleaning the heads as best as I could with some cotton swabs and alcohol, and It did make an improvement over before, but it doesn't quite sound as good as channel I I think unfortunately.

Are you guys able to help me on this one?
Thanks in advance
Old 28th Jan 2018, 2:14 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Revox A77 CH2 problem

Although you've cleaned the heads, you may still find a little dirt on them. Clean them again and wait for the alcohol to dry before using.

Also I would wait to try it with new tapes, those old Philips tapes were great for domestic recording but thats about it.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 28th Jan 2018, 2:22 pm   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Revox A77 CH2 problem

If the heads are clean and the tape is good, then the two most likely reasons are head wear or incorrect line-up. Revox heads are usually good up to a flat of 4mm on the head face - any more and the head is on borrowed time at best.

Lining up an A77 is fairly straightforward and much cheaper than replacing heads, so try this first - all the presets are accessible on the base of the machine. The best course if you don't know the procedure is to download the service manual. If you don't do things in the right order you won't do much harm but will end up mightily confused!
Closed Thread