UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2017, 12:38 am   #21
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Cleaning PCB track side?

Yes, that's the style, thanks.

I'll have to see if there is a local Faber-Castell outlet that has them, £9.99 postage for O/s deliveries is a bit steep.
Old 24th Nov 2017, 2:33 pm   #22
GW4FRX
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
To lift an oxide, it's going to take something like...citric acid, or physical abrasion.
Sainsbury's lemon juice on the end of a cotton bud doesn't seem to work but maybe it's not acidic enough. Our local Wilko sells citric acid powder so I'll try that.
Old 25th Nov 2017, 1:49 am   #23
julie_m
Dekatron

Fibre glass pencils are very good for cleaning the things nothing else will touch; but 88, then you will &dust they produce really is an industrial-stength itching powder. Watch how you clean it up after use, you absolutely do not want just to spread this stuff around. If you have sensitive or damaged skin, eczema or skin allergies, be extra careful. Even if you think your skin is as tough as leather, be careful .....
Old 25th Nov 2017, 2:53 am   #24
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

I must admit to having had several unpleasant experiences using the fibre glass (or glass fibre) pencils that I wouldn't wish on anyone here, but the brass wire inserts for the same are no problem, though less effective.
Old 25th Nov 2017, 2:48 pm   #25
GW4FRX
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW4FRX View Post
Sainsbury's lemon juice on the end of a cotton bud doesn't seem to work but maybe it's not acidic enough. Our local Wilko sells citric acid powder so I'll try that.
Tried dissolving one tablespoon of Wilko citric-acid powder in 50ml of hot water and applying via cotton bud. No effect on oxidation even with hard rubbing. Also tried glass-fibre pencil on a scrap PCB. This very effectively removed the entire tinning layer leaving pink-coloured copper beneath, so judged not safe for use on Radford board.

Can anything be done chemically, perhaps with tinning solution? Or perhaps via an ultrasonic bath?
Old 25th Nov 2017, 4:53 pm   #26
ex seismic
Heptode

RS used to (and may still) do an abrasive loaded rubber block specifically for cleaning PCBs. Just like an ordinary eraser but gritty to the touch and much kinder to the trousers.

Also very good for cleaning model train tracks.

Gordon

Last edited by ex seismic; 25th Nov 2017 at 4:54 pm. Reason: sentence added.
Old 25th Nov 2017, 6:00 pm   #27
Goldie99
Heptode

Quote:
RS used to (and may still) do an abrasive loaded rubber block specifically for cleaning PCBs. Just like an ordinary eraser but gritty to the touch and much kinder to the trousers.
I still have an abrasive mica loaded rubber block that I bought years ago - it's excellent for removing surface rust from old steel especially, and I suspect is the type of product you mean. Unfortunately, I bought it 20 years ago, abroad, and have no idea what it was called...

A somewhat milder option may be steel wool ? it's abrasive, but the finer grades are fine enough for high quality wood finishing, so it should be suitable for an older PCB.
Old 25th Nov 2017, 8:16 pm   #28
GW4FRX
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex seismic View Post
Nearest I can see in RS is http://docs-europe.electrocomponents...6b81513e28.pdf Does this look like the block you have?
Old 25th Nov 2017, 8:24 pm   #29
Goldie99
Heptode

I think the one I have is coarser, but if anything the RS one you've found looks better suited for what's needed here.
Old 25th Nov 2017, 8:53 pm   #30
GW4FRX
Pentode

Many thanks. I'll give it a go.

Was wondering whether something like http://nerdclub-uk.blogspot.co.uk/20...ng-powder.html could be used on a partly populated board if one was careful. Anyone tried it?
Old 25th Nov 2017, 9:23 pm   #31
Pamphonica
Nonode

The blocks of fine abrasive in something like rubber used to be called Polifix. The modern RS ones are fine. I use them often, to burnish edge contacts or take tarnish off or clean up new pcbs. They are meant to be safe even on gold edge connectors. Worth a try for a very few ££.
Closed Thread