UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2017, 12:20 pm   #1
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Dial Label Number Stamping Machine.

"I believe there was an ink stamping thing, a bit like the ones used for stamping dates onto paper, which was used for this. See, for example,

https://www.vintassion.com/vintage-6...r-labels/I3923 "

The thread was closed whilst was composing the reply

The machine in the photographs in the above link show a 'Machine No 31' used for stamping the numbers on dial labels for use in kiosks. The larger numbers were stamped on blank Labels No 160 that had been printed with the exchange name in large letters. That machine was introduced circa 1960 when the GPO started putting a large 'X' on the end of kiosk numbers to indicate to the operator it was a public kiosk. It can clearly be seen after the 6th digit in the above link photos

The original used on dial labels prior to 1960 was a 'Machine Numbering No 5' - see the Swanage label in attached photo.

Circa 1960 it was replaced by a 'Machine Numbering No 32' with similar sized numbers but of a slightly different font. See the Amlwch label in the attached. Note the different style of the figure '3'

Ian
CNet 0352 2345
MR ETD 053-6278
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dial Label Numbers.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	152689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2464.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	152690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2465.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	152691   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2468.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	152692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2469.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	152693  

Old 22nd Nov 2017, 1:48 pm   #2
nutteronthebus
Hexode

Default Re: Dial Label Number Stamping Machine.

Hi back in the day when I worked for the GPO (started in 1979 ) I had one of these as a lineman fitter, passed it on when I became a TO on big switch

Dave
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 7:52 pm   #3
Kentode
Octode

Ian, ENM or English Numbering Machines were absorbed by Fisher Karpark Industry in Sowerby Bridge, near Halifax.

I worked in Inspection for nine years looking at these stampers (under the REXEL label) and saw some of the mazak pieces, such as the frame, replaced by injection moulded plastic.

They appear on eBay occasionally, try searching for Rexel.

BVWS member
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 10:17 pm   #4
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Thanks for the info Ken. The ones in the attached photos are part of my collection of 'GPO' bits & pieces gathered over the last half century (I was a TO with the GPO 50+ years ago ) I use them to stamp the Dial Labels in my collection of phones.

I notice the early boxes were labelled 'ENM', changing to 'Rexel-ENM' and later to just 'Rexel'. Various of my numbering machines have all the box types!

Ian
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 10:23 pm   #5
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutteronthebus View Post
Hi back in the day when I worked for the GPO (started in 1979 ) I had one of these as a lineman fitter, passed it on when I became a TO on big switch
From memory, these were a standard part of an installers kit way back in the late 60's.
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 10:29 pm   #6
Kentode
Octode

I'll dig out some old photos for you Ian, and I may have some sales brochures from the 90's.

What is a TO?

BVWS member
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 11:27 pm   #7
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
What is a TO?

TECHNICAL OFFICER- The blokes working on most telecom functions would be Technicians of ( in the old days ) either of two grades. The more technically qualified staff were employed in Technical Officer posts. This required acquiring technical qualifications and going on & passing courses to qualify for the promotion.
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 11:35 pm   #8
nutteronthebus
Hexode

This all changed when newgrid came into force and the T2B/T2A became B1 and B2 the TO became a C3 and the dizzy highs of D1 ( super TO came in to force)

Dave
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 1:37 am   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Thanks Ian for answering my question about stamping machines. It's something that I have wondered about for decades

I remember the X at the end of TK numbers. What would be the consequence of failing to quote the X to the operator?

Could someone successfully reverse the charges to the TK?
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 9:53 pm   #10
Pellseinydd
Heptode

The 'X' appeared from memory around the time of approaching STD introduction. On those days, when a caller on a 'call office line' (the GPO term for a line with a con collecting box on it) dialled '0' for the operator, the call arrived on the manual board on a line with a red opal (light) so the operator knew it was from a coinbox. Reverse charged calls were not allowed to a call office number. Sometimes it was possible to dial the code to another exchange followed by a '0' in which case the call arrived as a all from an 'ordinary' line and operator treated it as such until when she asked for the number and was told it was ......X when they then realised it was a 'fiddled' call.

But once STD was introduced, POA (Pay on Answer) payphones were introduced. When '100' was dialled to reach the operator, rapid 'pips' were put on the line when they answered, by the 'Coin & Fee Checking' relay sets in the exchange. The operator then knew it was from a coinbox.

Ian
CNet 0352 2345
MR ETD 053-6278
Old 23rd Nov 2017, 10:31 pm   #11
Oldcodger
Nonode

From memory, the X existed long before STD introduction. On the old style of manual board with opals, Coin boxes used a red opal. I seem to remember something similar on the older doll eye boards, but I can't remember how it was achieved.
Old 24th Nov 2017, 12:33 pm   #12
D.Finney
Pentode

Similar numbering machines were in common use in lots of places till the advent of computer printing, I first came across them when working in a library 40 odd years ago, they were used to print accession numbers on new library stock. They could be set to print the same number several times before automatically going on to the next number in the sequence; so the book and probably 2 catalogue index cards could be numbered before moving on to the next book.
Old 24th Nov 2017, 2:39 pm   #13
Richard_FM
Octode

I used to work for a solicitors & one of my duties was to number documents with a stamp that could be set to move the number on by one after each stamp.

Not for the weak handed if you have to number 500 pages of paperwork!

The stamp could probably do other sequences but I never tried messing with the settings.
Old 24th Nov 2017, 4:00 pm   #14
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
From memory, the X existed long before STD introduction. On the old style of manual board with opals, Coin boxes used a red opal. I seem to remember something similar on the older doll eye boards, but I can't remember how it was achieved.
There was a red label on the indicator designation strip above the jack/indicator. See attached photo of subscriber 215 on 'Glenmositon' exchange - a small 20 line switchboard in the then village post office at Inver Moriston at the south west corner of Loch Ness from 1925 until 1955. The only surviving CBS No 3 exchange of the 475 that the GPO had in service back in the 1920's until c1960. Similar markings on a CBS2 160 line switchboard that was 'Braunton' exchange until the late 1960's. Both now in North Wales.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBS3-Kiosk-Marking.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	152809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glem-Moriston-Switchboard.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	152810  
Old 28th Nov 2017, 9:41 pm   #15
McMurdo
Dekatron

Back in the mid 80's I was shown around BT Yarnfield and in the marine cables section was a store room full of wooden PBX consoles, and, at one end, rows of dusty dexion shelving full of telephone dial mechanisms, stamps & rubber blocks for the exchange names.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 10:12 pm   #16
Oldcodger
Nonode

Bit adrift, but you surely refer to the place affectionately known as STONE, where there were two sections, one ancient ex-military huts housing the transmission training school and the modern block housing the admin /dining section and possibly the exchange stuff.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 11:25 pm   #17
McMurdo
Dekatron

the stamps, dials, pbx's and dial rubbers (and my little tour) was around the huts.