UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2010, 9:28 am   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Smile Harpenden Auction feedback, 6 June 2010?

I managed to spend an hour or so at this event, along with my wife, but we could only stay till 11.30am as we were en route from East Yorks to a family visit to Southminster, Essex, . As the start of the auction was delayed by half an hour (no criticism intended) we were only able to see about 20 lots sold, but what an event!

I was impressed by the amount of organisation involved in listing the lots, and checking them in, issuing bidding cards, auctioning off the lots, recording the results and so on, with 'porters' on hand to hold up the items being auctioned, and putting them to one side for collection, then payment arrangments, commision etc.

Then of course there's the booking of the venue, catering, setting up and supervising the small hall for the stallholders, running the Bring and Buy, and so on it goes. In addition, there was the AGM to organise, which I hope went well, then the conclusion of the auction after the AGM.

All in all, a Herculian team effort and a very demanding day for those who organised and ran the event - particularly Miike Barker, BVWS Chairman, as auctioneer, who had the task of auctioning off what must have been close on 200 lots.

In the short time we were able to stay, there were no sets of any particular note that came 'under the hammer' and I was surpised to find that despite Mike's considerable efforts to 'talk up' the items to keep the bidding brisk, several went for what can only be described as giveaway prices, often less than the fiver which most of us would expect to pay as a minimum at a car boot sale. Ideal as first sets for newcomers to cut their teeth on.

The only item that temped me was a 1939 Little Maestro in the high 180s and I guess wouildn't have come under the hammer till late afternoon long after we had to leave.

Parking was a bit problematic, but by driving around Harpenden, which seemed as pleasant little town, we managed to find some on-street unlimited parking within 200 yards or so, (helped by the even being held on a Sunday).

Presumably at some stage, a list of the prices realised by the lots will be posted on the forum or elsewhere?

So, as a BVWS member, amy I say thanks to all concerned for organising and running this and similar events, which on this occasion, was followed the very next day by the Vintage Wireless Museum Summer Garden Party!

David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP 1339
Old 12th Jun 2010, 6:11 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Harpenden Auction feedback, 6 June 2010?

Thank you for your comments. There is indeed a LOT of work put into these events, especially by Mike but also by several other committee members and volunteers. I have been involved with this at Wootton Bassett on the day several times, and can see how much has been done beforehand.

It is understandable that Mike and others get a bit frustrated when people don't bid or grumble about the content of the auction. On the latter, the intention with Harpenden is that members enter items for the auction, but this time there were only around 50 entries so the other 150 were from an estate sale, which Mike had to sort out and lot over the fortnight before. Normally estate sale items are sold in the Wootton Bassett auctions and occasional special auctions.

Bear in mind too that none of the committee or volunteers get paid anything for what we do. Complimentary membership, free entry, free food (though not at Harpenden) and some out-of-pocket expenses is all we get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Presumably at some stage, a list of the prices realised by the lots will be posted on the forum or elsewhere?
Yes, it will be on the BVWS website at some point. We tend to do several in one go rather than after each event.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 12th Jun 2010 at 6:23 pm. Reason: Aded lots
Old 12th Jun 2010, 9:33 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Thanks for reading my posting Paul, and for your response. I hadn't appreciated that so many items were from an estate sale, but as you say, a great deal of work must go on behind the scenes by 'unsung heroes'.

The only people I recognise by sight are Mike and Graham Terry, busy up on the stage, and keeping up a brisk pace with the auction, and Jeffrey Borinsky (I think!) busy on the Bring and Buy stall.

I thought that the arrangements for issuing bidding tickets for those who wished to bid was very slick too. Given how many lots there were to auction off, with lunch and the AGM intervening, I guess it would have been quite a late finish.

Then I guess many of those involved with Harpenden would also have been involved at Dulwich the next day at Gerry's Garden Party.

All in all, a very hectic weekend!

Thanks once more to all concerned.

David
Old 13th Jun 2010, 8:39 am   #4
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Then I guess many of those involved with Harpenden would also have been involved at Dulwich the next day at Gerry's Garden Party.
ALways nice to hear a good word for those who work behind the scenes to make things happen. There's a tendency to criticise when things go wrong and say nothing when things go right.

I was indeed behind the B&B. Thanks again to Edward and Peter for much able assistance in that department.

I think you may have had the 2 days a little confused. the Garden Party was on Saturday, the day before the auction.
Old 13th Jun 2010, 12:26 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Good to get some feedback on your experience David. I've never yet made it to Harpenden or most of the the other events, despite being in the BVWS for a number of years. When you factor in all the work that goes into the excellent and very high quality magazine as well+the general administration of the Society, it's quite staggering really, the amount of effort put in on a volounteer basis. What a shame you weren't able to stay longer after all that research and preparation-you might have been able to boost the bidding or find something you wanted. Mostly being creative repairers who can make or fix things up, I suppose it's in the nature of the vintage restorers and radio amateurs on here to not spend much if they can avoid it and an auction [by definition] boils down to supply and demand in the end, although it is a Society income. I'm sorry that I missed the cheap prices though! I was hoping to go to the Garden Party this year but it just couldn't be done. I did get to a very small Rally at Newhaven which doesn't have a lot of stuff but I always manage to come away with something-if only on a support basis. I missed the last Lowton as well [that one is usually easier for me from Lancashire] but that's also well worth the effort. If that's Cottingham Hull [I once lived in the city] it might be do-able for you [pardon if you already go]. Mike B has put on some great TV displays in "the North."
Cheers, Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 13th Jun 2010 at 12:32 pm.
Old 13th Jun 2010, 2:12 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I think the star of the day was what is probably the only working 240/415 line dual standard mirror lid television set in the UK being demonstrated on 240 lines (via an Aurora) up on stage.

Credit must go to Mike Barker for the superb restoration, and special thanks to Russell for allowing his valuable, delicate and probably unique set to be transported around the country to these events for others to enjoy.

Thanks also to whoever provided the DVD player, DVDs of vintage programmes, Aurora and other bits and pieces for this demonstration.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 13th Jun 2010, 3:34 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I missed the last Lowton as well [that one is usually easier for me from Lancashire] but that's also well worth the effort. If that's Cottingham Hull [I once lived in the city] it might be do-able for you [pardon if you already go]. Mike B has put on some great TV displays in "the North."
Cheers, Dave W
I generally manage to make it to Lowton by combining it with a visit to relatives and friends in Liverpool. Until about five years ago we used to journey across to Liverpool every three weeks to keep an eye on my wife's aunt in her 90s. (250 miles return, dicing with death on the M62!)

However, nowadays, we generally stay over at a Travelodge at Lymm or Warrington as it's handy for Liverpool on Saturday, then Lowton on the Sunday. Although Lowton is a small event, it's nice to be able to put a name to a face and meet up with a few forum friends. (Last year I met Ed Dinning and Colin Armstrong for the first time).

You're right about Mike's excellent TV displays - a heck of a journey for him, and a lot of heavy kit to lug around. I'm still in awe of those who trundled the huge radiograms to the NVCF this year!

Jeffrey B mentioned that I'd got the Garden party and Harpenden dates the wrong way round, which I spotted after I'd hit 'send'! It used to be called a 'senior moment' but in these PC times, I beleive it's know known as an intellectual interlude'

I do think these events are deserving of support - we're a thriving but endangered species!

David.
Closed Thread