UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2008, 9:42 pm   #1
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Bush SRG88 losing volume

Firstly, please be patient with a raw recruit! I have recently acquired a Bush SRG88 stereogram, which is all working beautifully, except for one problem.
When the treble control is turned about three quarters of it's travel towards minimum, (anti-clockwise), although the treble continues to decrease, the volume suddenly drops by about half!
The valve line-up, if it helps is 1x ECC85, 1xECH81, 2xEF89, 2xEABC80, 2EL84 1xEZ81, and1xEM81. I have had limited experience with the electronics side of repair, but can replace components with confidence. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 11th Nov 2008, 10:03 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush SRG88 losing volume

Hi Audio, I think the first thing to check could be the cap in series with the treble pot. This combination is usually connected across the output transformer primary.
Then check the pot is not damaged as well.
Then change the audio coupling cap (if not already done) as it will be leaky.

Ed
Old 11th Nov 2008, 10:10 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I note Paul Stenning doesn't do the data for this model. Therefore if Ed's suggestions don't solve the problem, perhaps someone who happens to have the cct could post a scan of the relevant section of the circuit.
Old 11th Nov 2008, 11:13 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

I have the SRG86 up - it's nearest!

Anyway : C59 and C60 (Anodes of the Triodes EABC80) first. These are known as 'That Capacitor' round here and should be changed.

Also check C62 and C65 - Across the Bass Controls, and C67 and C68. These go to earth.

Then please come back if these don't cure it!

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 12th Nov 2008, 11:20 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get the relevant caps, and work on it this weekend. I think I'll replace the lot while I'm in there. Will let you know how I get on.
Old 16th Nov 2008, 12:54 am   #6
Audio1950
Dekatron

I got as far as taking the chassis out, with a view to making a list of caps required, and getting them replaced, and then chickened out! To be honest, after all the references I've seen on here regarding polarity, values, sizes etc, I don't feel confident enough to tackle the job. I really don't want to end up with more problems than I started with, and would rather give the job to one of the experts!
Is there anyone who would be willing to replace the suspect caps, and any thing else that needs replacing? I would obviously be willing to deliver the chassis to them, (presumably this is all that's needed) and collect when ready. I really would like to get this instrument back to A1 condition, so if anyone could help, I would be grateful. I am based in Whittlesey, Peterborough.
Thanks.
Old 17th Nov 2008, 7:02 pm   #7
Audio1950
Dekatron

One of the forum members has now offered to do this for me, for which I am grateful. Many thanks to the others who offered their advice.
Audio1950
Old 30th Nov 2008, 9:05 pm   #8
Audio1950
Dekatron

Sorted! No, more than sorted, restored completely.
Thanks, Neil.

Audio1950
Closed Thread