UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2008, 4:53 pm   #1
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Cartridge connecting tags

Hi
Does anyone know if it's still possible to get ordinary connecting tags for pick-up cartridges?. I mean the round or triangular ones that used to be fitted as standard to all record players. I can get fancy gold plated ones from most Hi-Fi outlets, but they are very expensive, (who needs gold plated on a Dansette?), and in most cases are too small in diameter. If anyone can point me to a supplier, I'd be grateful
Thanks
Audio 1950
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 5:04 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Cartridge connecting tags

Maplins do a set of four for £2.99 (which actually gives you eight connectors). I think it's product code L51AB.

Edit......Note that it transpires these are unsuitable for at least some older cartridges.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 23rd Nov 2008 at 9:30 am. Reason: Added edit note.
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 5:22 pm   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Alternatively, the female recepticles from ordinary D-sub (i.e. PC type) connectors work very well.
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 6:24 pm   #4
vascoprat
Tetrode

I got some of the triangular types with a 4 strand pickup cable I bought from Musonics for my Dansette. They are just right for the BSR SC12M. I just put a note to them asking for the tags to be included after phoning them to see if they had any. There's a place for special instructions on the online order form.
As I say I was purchasing a 4 strand cable from them and they just included them at no extra charge. You might have to pay if you just want the tags. Give them a ring and ask for Stephen.
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 9:06 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
Alternatively, the female recepticles from ordinary D-sub (i.e. PC type) connectors work very well.
And will give you gold plated as well, unless you raid a SERIOUSLY cheap one!

Chris
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 12:28 am   #6
Audio1950
Dekatron

Unfortunately, the ones from Maplins have already been tried, but when they finally parted company with the cable they were clamped to, proved to be too small for Garrard GC2 or BSR TC8 pins, even when opened out somewhat. Thanks for the suggestion though, Darren.
Will try Musonics Monday morning, but meanwhile have ordered two female D sub connectors with solder bucket connections. Many thanks for all the help offered.
Audio 1950
Old 23rd Nov 2008, 9:33 am   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

That's worth bearing in mind re the Maplins connectors. I've added a note to post #2 above as a caution to anyone considering buying these for certain older cartridges.
Old 30th Nov 2008, 12:40 am   #8
Audio1950
Dekatron

The female sockets from the D-sub connectors are perfect!
Many thanks to all who offered help and advice.

Audio1950
Closed Thread