UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2018, 5:12 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile TV 'kick start' button?

Hi,
My wife borrowed an old-ish flat screen telly upon which to watch the tennis while sitting outside.
It's in-house brand is 'Marks & Spencer', and it works well.
The odd thing is that, in order to turn it on, it's necessary to press a button on the back for a moment, before pressing the on/off button on the top.
I'm wondering why this is? Maybe it 'kick starts' SMPSU into stand by mode? If so, then why? instead of a self starting one.
It reminds me a bit of those old Smith's Sectric clocks that required one to 'flick' the motor into motion after it was plugged in.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 18th Jul 2018, 5:31 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: TV 'kick start' button?

Is the button on the back a proper DP/DT on/off switch? The small flat screen TV I have in the bedroom as one of those.
Old 18th Jul 2018, 5:32 pm   #3
Richard_FM
Octode

My old Girlfriend had one of those.

When I was at college some of the computers had the main on-off switch at the back of the base unit, but a reset button on the front.
Old 18th Jul 2018, 6:08 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: TV 'kick start' button?

Hi,
It's a momentary push-to-make button that looks like a small 'rocker' switch, but it doesn't 'click' on or off.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 18th Jul 2018, 9:58 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

I have a "Neon" TV (superstore special, I think) with a similar momentary rocker switch to enter standby mode. When the set is first powered up, nothing happens. When the rocker switch is pressed, a relay clicks and the power switch lights up blue, and the set then responds to the remote control.

I think it's to allow the set to have a true "off" mode.
Old 19th Jul 2018, 7:09 am   #6
dglcomp
Heptode

Quote:
I think it's to allow the set to have a true "off" mode.
Ding!, Ding! we have a winner.

We installed a few early Cello TV's around the switchover for Stockland Hill and they all had this feature, there would be three buttons on the top of the remote two would be power/standby buttons, pressing one button (grey?) would put the TV in/take it out of standby whereas the adjacent button (green?) would turn it off completely requiring pressing a momentary rocker switch at the rear of the TV to turn on.
This then allows a zero power remote off, would be a very handy feature fitted to the Tv's from the myriad of manufacturers that think fitting a blue lighthouse to the fron of said TV is a good thing.

This confused MANY people, it used to be that someone would complain that their TV was not working, I would go to the van, see that they had one of these TV's and immediately proceed to press the rocker on the back. Cured the broken TV issue 99.9% of the time.
Old 20th Jul 2018, 2:56 pm   #7
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglcomp View Post
Cured the broken TV issue 99.9% of the time.
Wow! You did over 1000 service calls on this one model of set? How many did they sell? Clearly false economy.
Old 20th Jul 2018, 3:28 pm   #8
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Old 25th Jul 2018, 9:21 am   #9
stuarth
Heptode

I may be suffering from an over active imagination, but I seem to recall a TV with a latching push button power switch on the front panel which could be unlatched to the off position from the remote control. More obvious to the customer than a switch on the back of the set.

Stuart
Old 25th Jul 2018, 10:02 am   #10
Studio263
Octode

Sony, Rediffusion and Fidelity all had that. No doubt there were others too. Cost is probably the reason that they don't have it any more.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 10:18 am   #11
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarth View Post
I may be suffering from an over active imagination, but I seem to recall a TV with a latching push button power switch on the front panel which could be unlatched to the off position from the remote control. More obvious to the customer than a switch on the back of the set.

Stuart
Seen around 1985 on some cheap Italian models as the only means of switching off remotely (no standby) and brought back as an optional way to fully switch off a set by Grundig in the mid to late 1990's.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 10:21 am   #12
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
Sony, Rediffusion and Fidelity all had that. No doubt there were others too. Cost is probably the reason that they don't have it any more.
I've never ever seen that in a Sony, so I'm now very curious. Were those Rediffusion and Fidelity sets British made and in roughly which era?
Old 25th Jul 2018, 1:43 pm   #13
Studio263
Octode

Yes, both UK made. The Redifussion sets were the MK4a chassis, the remote control had keys for both standby and off. The Fidelity was the ZX2000 chassis, this was rather basic and had a simple step channel / off remote control. Both date from the early to mid 1980s. The Sony I've seen it in was the KV-1882UB, which has a similar chassis to the KV-1412UB.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 1:51 pm   #14
Richard_FM
Octode

My parents had a goodmans set with a latching power switch which could be turned off by the remote control. It had a habit of randomly picking up signals & switching channels or totally off normally in the middle of a programme or a computer game.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 10:48 pm   #15
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
I've seen it in was the KV-1882UB, which has a similar chassis to the KV-1412UB.
Thanks, I only know the EC model and that doesn't have it, strangely.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 11:19 pm   #16
julie_m
Dekatron

I may have mentioned this before but, when I was younger, my neighbours used to have a Rediffusion set that used to launch the power button out of the front of the set and across the room if you tried to turn it off with the remote!
Old 26th Jul 2018, 12:03 am   #17
Refugee
Dekatron

I have heard stories about power buttons flying off but could not remember the make of set involved.
Closed Thread