UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2020, 10:10 pm   #1
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Default Tempest super sixty

Hi I just spotted a tempest super sixty radiogram, and I am told it has no problems except the auto function doesn't work ie. you have to manually place the tone arm on the disc, the owner wants €600 and i was wondering if that is the value of such a model or is the owner a bit ambitious?
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 10:19 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Tempest super sixty

Seriously ambitious I reckon. For that sort of money you could get some pretty good eighties hifi gear instead!

Leave it for a lifestyle type with vinyl revival leanings.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 10:22 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

If it's the same beast this may help seems a lot to me though https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1584998441337

Cheers Mike T
Old 24th Mar 2020, 5:28 pm   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

If he's paying you it might be worth it, unless a radiogram is something special, EG PX4 triode OP stage, folks are usually only too happy to get rid of these things and are usually FOC.

Andy.
Old 24th Mar 2020, 6:57 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Take a step back....

Why do you want it... what do you want to do with it?

If you've fallen in love with the cabinet and you have a surplus of cash, it might be right for you. Otherwise radiograms are worth very little, except for some people going for the furniture aspect.

If you want to listen to music, then as someone said earlier, you can pick up some eighties audio gear that will give a far better sound and cost very little. You don't get the cabinet, but your ears will be happier.

It all depends on your intentions.

David
Old 24th Mar 2020, 6:57 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If it's the same as shown in Post #3, then it has a Garrard SP25 manual single-player anyway!
Old 24th Mar 2020, 7:57 pm   #7
paulsherwin

€600 is astronomical unless it's in absolutely pristine condition and you want it for the rarity value. Knock a nought off maybe.

Of course, the seller is perfectly entitled to ask whatever price he wants for it, just as you're perfectly entitled to walk away.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 12:13 am   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

That's a great deal of money [even these days] KC. Do you collect RG's? If so you don't seem to be developing an appropriate technical or commercial knowledge base [Otherwise you would be aware that paying out that amount of money represents a more than substantial risk to yourself]. I hope that helps you.

Dave W
Old 25th Mar 2020, 10:56 pm   #9
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Hi Thanks to all the advice given, no i don't collect radiograms but this looked attractive by photos and i never heard of the name so i wanted to find out some opinions here to see if the RG was worth that kind of price, now i know i can avoid it and move on.( I thought with the attractive speakers that it was of a higher grade, but obviously not)
thanks again
Closed Thread