UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2016, 7:45 pm   #1
feathercurls
Tetrode

Default London-based electronics meet?

I am thinking of starting a group for electronics hobbyists in London. Would anyone here be interested? It would be for both vintage and modern projects, but no coding and nothing computer-based.
Old 21st Nov 2016, 8:03 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: London-based electronics meet?

Possibly. It would depend where and when it meets (can I easily get there and back).

I can understand excluding (modern) microcontroller-based stuff (which often seems to be barely electronics at all) but would you allow digital circuits at all? And if so, how do you define a computer (hint : the difference between a state machine and microcode is often just one of semantics)
Old 21st Nov 2016, 9:30 pm   #3

I would be interested if it's on the west side. I do think there is a difference between 'coding' (pretty things with screens etc.) and low level microcontroller programming to do real things.

Old 21st Nov 2016, 9:52 pm   #4
feathercurls
Tetrode

Hi Tony and Merlin, thanks for replying. I would allow digital circuits and bringing computers to meetings, but preferably not microcontrollers unless they are part of a larger electronics-based project.

I was thinking more of excluding the coding side of microcontroller projects, and any projects which are mostly done on computers. This is because there are already enough groups for coding and microcontrollers, but I haven't found one for traditional electronics.

The focus would be on circuits which you can actually understand how they work, and on related physics.
Old 21st Nov 2016, 11:43 pm   #5

Quote:
The focus would be on circuits which you can actually understand how they work, and on related physics.
What a good idea, I started with analogue electronics (and still do it) the modern very high speed digital stuff is more analogue than digital and that makes it easier for me to understand and debug than the 'digital' guys do. Recently I replaced a fiendishly complex charger chip (which would also need in production programming) with 3 transistors and a voltage reference. Cheaper and it is testable rather than relying on the datasheet.

Old 22nd Nov 2016, 12:35 am   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

So incredibly true. I built a motor speed controller for a Christmas display a few years back which kicked me back into analogue design. 12v in from a wall wart, 30KHz PWM out to drive a motor and gearbox stolen out of some military ATU kit. Fluffed around with an Arduino for an afternoon and realised I'd created a disgusting monster. Ended up using a trimmer, a BC337, a BD139, three capacitors and 6 resistors on a bit of stripboard and it worked perfectly.

Back on topic, I'm in if it's not too far. It takes a long time to get anywhere in London
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 3:58 pm   #7
feathercurls
Tetrode

Good to see some interest.

The only place I can think of is the London Hackspace on Hackney Road. If anyone knows about anywhere suitable (church halls, community centres, Men's Sheds or similar) I am open to suggestions. I can go anywhere which is one bus ride from Angel Islington, if it needs two buses I would have to check if it is too far. (I have a disability and long journeys are difficult)
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 6:34 pm   #8
raditechman
Heptode

I did visit the London Hackspace as a guest and it is well equipped but if I recall to keep going you need to join, and pay by bank debit. It was rather too much for me, as I am in West London and did not think that I would be able to get there frequently enough, even though I get free tube and bus, it took over an hour for me to get there. From what I remember they are open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. A radio club also meets there some Saturdays.

Although the idea of a London based group is good finding a cheap easily got to venue may be the stumbling block.

John
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 7:08 pm   #9
Top Cap
Octode

Cool idea but like others, I rely on public transport. Local buses stop running at 6.30pm but thankfully some London buses are running till late from Watford Junction. Thus a daytime meet would be more acceptable and being retired any day will do. A London based Scout or Sea Cadet hall might be possible and the cost might be reasonable. A pub nearby might also be a useful asset . One could bring along a current project, restoration or whatever, even a demo of ones test equipment? Bottom line for me is that the venue would have to be close to a tube station or well served by buses that I can use to connect to a tube station.
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 7:30 pm   #10
Restoration73
Nonode

Here is an existing organisation;
http://wiki.richmondmakerlabs.uk/index.php/Main_Page
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 7:36 pm   #11
MrBungle
Dekatron

That's interesting as it's about a ten min drive from me.
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 7:43 pm   #12

The Richmond Labs look viable for me (won't be a bad ride on the motorcycle off peak), and they have a laser cutter, handy for that plywood project case. I will pop there soon and have a look.

Old 22nd Nov 2016, 7:47 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

nodnoL is only 80 miles from me - but none of my vehicles are allowed within the "Low Emission Zone" unless I pay a stupidly-excessive penalty.

If you're looking for venues - I'd suggest checking the various office/meeting-rooms-by-the-hour businesses: in the past I've hired an entire suite [two meeting-rooms that would each seat 50, four smaller breakout-rooms] from "Regus" over a weekend for a 'deployathon' where we rolled-out something over 600 Cisco switches across five buildings in the City. Weekends are cheaper at these sorts of places, and they're not freaked-out by guys wheeling sack-trucks laden with flight-cases-full of gear [including coffee-machines!] in and out across the weekend.
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 8:18 pm   #14
raditechman
Heptode

I too can easily get a bus to the Ham, Richmond venue.
Pity they only seem to be open in the evening as on the cold dark winter nights, and not having a car, I tend to stay in.
Certainly in the summer no problem.
Unfortunately I think it is too far for Lucia-"feathercurls" travelling from Islington.

John
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 10:33 pm   #15
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Lucia, try a Google on radio societies, mail RSGB for details, look in PW and Elektor and you may get lucky. I'm fairly certain there are no tech colleges doing courses these days, or school night classes.
You could do worse than an Ad in the electronics mags for like minded people.

I have worked with schools on electronics projects, if you are lucky and are willing schools may let you go along as a helper. This would also let you pick up techniques and ideas.
I've worked with schools through the IEE and they are normally grateful for assistants to help with the classes (If you can solder that would be of great assistance to the pupils).
A more expensive way may be to see if anyone in your area would tutor you (say forum members in your locality). I often lecture on transformer design and it has proved to be very popular.

Good Luck, Ed

Last edited by Ed_Dinning; 22nd Nov 2016 at 10:38 pm.
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 7:04 pm   #16
feathercurls
Tetrode

Thanks Ed

Would anyone be able to make it to a meeting in Friern Barnet? It is a bit of a way for me, but it is only one bus journey. It is on the North Circular and so if you are coming from outside London, it does not need a trip through central London.
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 7:57 pm   #17
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Hi Lucia, great idea ! I am way out east Hackney)!and I think I met you at Hackspace once , doing some Arudino, late summer 2014? I have limited capacity to travel ATM and for the next six months or so (op coming up) but could meet up to 30 mins travel away from Hackney - Richmond is more like an hour or longer door to door.
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 8:23 pm   #18
TonyDuell
Dekatron

For me, it would depend on what time it was. There are some areas of London that I would not want to travel through on public transport at night (this might be unfair, but...). And there are no night buses where I live (and I am not within walking distance of a Tube or Overground station).

So if it was a morning or afternoon meeting I would try to get there. If it was in the evening, unless it was in SE London, I would have to give it a miss.
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 10:14 pm   #19
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Folks, there was a programme on BBC Watchdog tonight about repair groups and fixers or ditchers. If there is one local to you it could give you some valuable, if low level experience.

Ed
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 10:32 pm   #20
feathercurls
Tetrode

Hi Al, yes you probably met me at Hackspace, I have done a few Arduino projects there.
If you want we can meet at Hackspace?

Hi Tony, it doesn't have to be in the evening, in fact I would prefer afternoon meetings.