UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2020, 1:27 pm   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Idler Wheel Hardened Rubber Tyre Recovery

I have several reel to reel recorders where RWD and FFD either do not work at all or really struggle or struggle sometimes depending upon how much tape is on the respective spools.

I consider that these particular problems are due to the rubber tyres on the idler wheels having hardened and not making sufficient grip/friction with the driving wheel/shaft (whether that be metal, plastic or rubber) causing the idler wheel to slip. Possibly wear of the rubber additionally may add to the issue.

Additionally some of the idlers are driving a rubber coated reel table hub so 2 lots of hardened rubber leading to slip.

I have seen references to people using sandpaper to roughen up the surface of the idler rubber, so wondering if anybody has any experience of trying this and if so any success.
Old 21st Feb 2020, 2:08 pm   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Idler Wheel Hardened Rubber Tyre Recovery

Household glycerine can restore some types of synthetic rubber. I haven't tried it on pinch rollers but it was a complete cure for a shiny rubber coated disc that was part of the drive chain for a Eumig cine projector. Smear over the surface, leave for 10 mins and then clean off.
Old 21st Feb 2020, 2:10 pm   #3
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I had some success on a record deck where the idler was rock solid by stretching a flat drive belt over the rim of the idler, changed the diameter slightly but as it was a true idler (not part of a gear train) it made no difference.

Peter
Old 21st Feb 2020, 3:34 pm   #4
donutty
Pentode

You could try an automotive rubber restorer like 'Gummipflege' which has an ingredient that makes rubber supple again.

Never tried it on audio components, but it might work ?
Old 21st Feb 2020, 4:39 pm   #5
saxmaniac
Heptode

Sometimes, if the surface only is hard and there's soft rubber underneath, you can turn a layer off in a lathe. This of course means you need access to a lathe! It might be possible to rig something up using a power drill?
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 1:23 am   #6
TIMTAPE
Octode

I've also had success with removing the outer layer of hardened rubber but it's only temporary.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 5:24 am   #7
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Rubbing them with meths can remove the hard oxidised layer.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 8:18 am   #8
Ekcoman
Heptode

You can tyre by carefully gluing on a flat rubber drive belt to the hardened rim. Best to buy an assorted pack of different sized belts available on eBay.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 11:47 am   #9
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Results with RubberRenue are distinctly mixed - and it's downright poisonous to boot. Years ago, Colton marketed Gripex, which was a graphite colloid, not unlike Aquadag, and according to Mac Hellyer's review, it worked, in the sense of restoring positive drive. Hardening of the body of the rubber, causing that dreadful rumbling noise, is a less tractable problem, for which I suspect replacement is the only sure solution.
Old 22nd Feb 2020, 1:47 pm   #10
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Many thanks to all for your interesting and useful suggestions.

On a couple of the problem idlers I have tried one type of rubber replenisher spray, which cleans and is supposed to soften but no good at all when I tried it. So not sure if meths or glycerine will do any better but still may try them to double check.

Really wish I had a lathe for all sorts of things, using a power drill may be an option in this case.

Will get some flat drive belts, ideally need ones roughly the right size rather than having to cut larger ones down and then try and join/make neat ends interface.

Hard to know if the rubber under the surface layer is hard or soft, but from cursory inspection of a few I would say it is more than just a hard glazed surface in some cases, looks like the whole rubber is really hard.

So has nobody tried sandpaper ?
Closed Thread