UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Oct 2006, 10:19 pm   #1
Panrock
Nonode

Default Sony 9-90UB cogging

I'm sure this has been discussed on the board before somewhere but does anyone have a quick fix (with a location guide for the part) for the well-known line cogging this Sony exhibits on Test Card? Dried up electrolytic in the sync separator or something?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 21st Oct 2006, 10:51 pm   #2
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Sony 9-90UB cogging

Hi Steve,

C603, 3uF cap in the sync separator, I got to the bottom of this problem eventually with mine (replaced it with 2.2uF, possibly 4.7uF might've been better but I've not tried it yet.)

See post #23 in this thread.

Regards, Kat
Old 21st Oct 2006, 11:54 pm   #3
Panrock
Nonode

Ace! Thanks Kat. But I don't have the schematic for this set. Does anyone have a scan from the R&TVS book they could kindly post?

Thanks

Steve
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 12:02 am   #4
TNC
Hexode

Just a thought re Test Card C cogging on the Sony...are you using a Domino standards converter? My Sony cogs on Test Card C when using one...but not when using a David Grant Dinosauer converter. (Live signal however is fine and "cog-free")

Trevor.
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 12:16 am   #5
Panrock
Nonode

Yes I'm using the Domino. BTW I find that reducing the signal level to 'noisy' level improves the cogging somewhat.

There do seem to be some compatibility issues between the various converters and certain sets. For example I've recently seen a TV22 here which was fine with the Domino but exhibited some line hooking at the top of the picture with the Aurora.

Theories welcome, though probably this would mean a new thread...

Steve
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 1:58 am   #6
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Steve,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Ace! Thanks Kat. But I don't have the schematic for this set.
Ahh... in that case, this may be of use... I thought it'd been posted as an attachment in a thread referenced from the thread I referenced. But it'd been linked and it's not there now. Fortunately I downloaded a copy...

Regards, Kat
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sony_TV9_90UB.pdf (1,020.4 KB, 252 views)
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 9:03 am   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
For example I've recently seen a TV22 here which was fine with the Domino but exhibited some line hooking at the top of the picture with the Aurora.
Try switching off the EQ pulses on the Aurora.
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 10:22 am   #8
Panrock
Nonode

Kat, many many thanks. The resources of this board and its members never ceases to astonish me. So I've now got another job to tackle today...

Jeffrey, this sounds a great idea. I haven't got an Aurora myself and hadn't thought about the equalising pulses. I'll now contact the owner and suggest he tries this.

All the best,

Steve
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 10:54 am   #9
Mikey405
Octode

Hi everyone.

Do the modulators that are generally available produce a double or vestigal sideband signal? I was wondering whether this has anything to do with incompatibilities between different converters / modulators and TVs. My 9-90 doesn't like Dave Grant's modulator very much (although it works absolutely fine on most other sets I've tried it with), but works fine with a huge prehistoric Marconi signal generator wired up as a modulator...

From Mike.
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 10:57 am   #10
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey405 View Post
Do the modulators that are generally available produce a double or vestigal sideband signal?
All known modulators, except 1, produce a double sideband signal. The exception is Darius's VSB filter which could, in theory, be used with any modulator design.
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 3:03 pm   #11
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I just remembered, I should add that the schematic is for earlier sets, up to s/n 80000. In another thread it was mentioned that the design changed completely from 80001 on.

Regards, Kat
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 3:24 pm   #12
Steve_P
Dekatron

Looking at the circuit and the adjustments, have you tried adjusting C807 and C808 for pulse width. Then re-locking the Line Frequency (VR602 and VR603) before adjusting VR601 (Line Hold).

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 3:32 pm   #13
Panrock
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Manton View Post
I just remembered, I should add that the schematic is for earlier sets, up to s/n 80000. In another thread it was mentioned that the design changed completely from 80001 on.
Well mine's 24912 so I'm okay. I put 10uF in C603 and in my case I also found it necessary to replace C602 as well (I had a tiny 1uF electrolytic to hand which I used for this).

I originally obtained two of these sets from Ebay and did a 'cut-&-shut' job to obtain one good set from the best bits of both. Thanks to Kat it's now as it should be.

Here's the result:

S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	909ub.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	6332  
Closed Thread