UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2006, 9:15 pm   #1
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Round-screen colour television?

The only one I know of is the Pye experimental 405 NTSC in the possession of "Fernseh".

I suppose the Americans must have produced them, considering that I understand that was the origin of the above CRT.
Old 18th Sep 2006, 9:31 pm   #2
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: round-screen colour television?

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I suppose the Americans must have produced them, considering that I understand that was the origin of the above CRT.
Correct, since the US had colour long before Europe, the 1954 RCA CT-100 being one of the first colour sets on the market. Plenty more to drool over here.

The only European set I know of is the Philips K4 (made for export to Canada I think) though some were used in Europe and the UK for experimental purposes.

I for one would like to import an early round-tube set from the US but that'll have to wait a while. I suspect it'd prove expensive...

Regards, Kat
Old 18th Sep 2006, 9:42 pm   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

When, in 1969, I took the City and Guides "Colour Television Principles" certificate which was a 1 year course tacked on the end of the RADIO AND TV Servicing course we used round screen RCA sets for the practical work.

This was at Southgate Technical College in North London.

I've not seen a round screen colour set since.
Old 18th Sep 2006, 11:28 pm   #4
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
...... RADIO AND TV Servicing course we used round screen RCA sets for the practical work.
This was at Southgate Technical College in North London.
Well I know what became of those sets .... . In around 1978 I helped a friend collect two RCA 21" "color" sets along with a prototype Ekco 21" colour console, (serial No 1 ), from that college. I kept one of the RCA sets, which date from about 1963, until about 20 years ago. They were all valve monsters in woodgrained steel cases, adapted for 625 line NTSC .
I remember having to remove the chassis to get it through the front door . With a few mods I did get a picture of sorts, but due to the sheer size of the thing I eventually passed it on. I only have one poor photograph of the set, I will ask the current owner at the next Harpenden for some better pictures, ( He still owns all these ex college sets! ) .

Regards, Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RCA COLOR.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	5521  
Old 19th Sep 2006, 8:40 pm   #5
Danny
Heptode

Hi
I have an Ekco and a Philips, both with busted tubes these sets must be restored.

I have had some signs of life out of the Ekco without the CRT connected, but haven't bothered with the Philips yet.

Here are some pics.
Note the Ekco cabinet can be stripped to gain access to the tube.

Thanks Danny
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pict0110.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	5553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0114.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	5554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0117.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	5555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0118.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	5556  

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 7th Sep 2007 at 10:23 am.
Old 20th Sep 2006, 8:18 pm   #6
Mikey405
Octode

Hi everyone.

The old TV Museum down in Beaford in Devon has a Bush CVB100. A good friend of mine has the Murphy equivalent too.

From Mike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bush CVB100 (PAL) January 2003 04.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	5571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush CVB100 (PAL) January 2003 05.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	5572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush CVB100 (PAL) January 2003 12.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	5573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush CVB100 (PAL) January 2003 14.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	5574  
Old 21st Sep 2006, 8:05 am   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

No round CRT CTV was sold to the UK public. When we started the UK colour service in 1967 rectangular tubes were well established. The classic CRT was the 25" Mullard A63-11X.

Substantial numbers of sets with round CRTs were sold in the US since their NTSC service started in 1954.
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 10:24 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

There is an image of a round CRT colour TV set on the Radiofil Forum.

The set is a Philips TVC1

http://retro-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11051

DFWB.
Old 3rd Oct 2006, 11:28 pm   #9
Trish
Retired Dormant Member

I,m going to throw another one into the pile. This time it concerns a Professional monitor that was built with three round CRT's and dichroics + surface silvered mirrors to combine the images.

I actually got to play with one of these in the late sixties, along with a flying spot slide scanner that was six racks long and heaps of valves in it.

The monitor was designed and built in the UK (as was the slide scanner that came from the Mazda works that closed down) by Cinema-Television Limited which came out of the ashes of the Baird Television Company. The company is still going to this day as Cintel International Limited.

I do know that someone that used to work at Cintel knows of this monitor. At this present time I cannot for the life of me remember any information about where he is now, or any more details of this monitor.

Perhaps somewhere in the basement of the Science Museum one of these exists.

Trish
Old 4th Oct 2006, 12:07 am   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Any more info on why this was built Trish? Was it a US sub-contract or something else?
Just interested - sounds almost like a mid-thirties Baird
type development.

Dave
Old 4th Oct 2006, 1:59 am   #11
Trish
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Any more info on why this was built Trish?
I really don't know why or when it was built. The only thing I can tell you is that it was RGB input and when working the results were pretty stunning. It was a pig to get the three tubes lined up and converging correctly. It made doing a normal set look like childs play

Trish
Old 4th Oct 2006, 7:54 am   #12
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I once met an experimental triniscope colour monitor. ISTR it used 3x 14" rectangular CRTs in a huge frame with rather large dichroic filters. I arranged to get it out of the old and abandoned Thorn-EMI Research Labs building in about 1986 but I don't know what's happened to it since.

Before shadowmask tubes, the triniscope was the only practical direct view colour display. The Baird telechrome was not very practical and projectors are not direct view.
Old 4th Oct 2006, 11:05 am   #13
Trish
Retired Dormant Member

ppppenguin - The thing I played with was like that of course. But it did have round tubes.

Not wishing to cause this thread to go off track. But I do recall heading off to Rediffusion's (LWT) studios in Wembley. When they were moving out and walking away with a lot of kit. That was in the late Sixties and early Seventies. At that time I was at what was the Guildford Tech. Then I moved to the West Surrey College of Art. A lot of kit was really ancient. But a real challenge

I don't know where the kit all went. But for people here, it would be a treasure trove like no other if it could all be located.

Cheers,

Trish
Old 4th Oct 2006, 1:00 pm   #14
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks for that response. I'm quite pleased re the "telechrome" ref as the Baird comment was only a guess on my part. There is a page on the web which includes the Radio Times saying that the picture resulting was "entirely natural" [1942] but then he died four years later. A few hundred yards away from here actually. It is something that I refer to a lot but then I find it strange to end up living near Baird's house after years of interest in TV. Was the early use of round CRT's due to the glass blowing or TV technology I wonder? Dave
Old 4th Oct 2006, 1:18 pm   #15
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Was the early use of round CRT's due to the glass blowing or TV technology
Glass blowing. Blowing a rectangular tube by traditional methods strikes me as almost impossible. It required mass production moulding processes to make it feasible. Also for any given form of construction a round tube can better withstand the immense air pressure, It doesn't have stress points at the corners.

The first shadowmask colour CRTs were developed when round CRTs were still dominant so it's not surprising they started as round. I really don't know why they stayed round even after monochrome tubes were almost universally rectangular.
Old 4th Oct 2006, 1:33 pm   #16
tubesrule
Hexode

I'm not sure if this is similar to the one Trish saw, but here is a picture of an RCA Triniscope from 1950. It used three 16" round crts aimed into the light box on the right side that housed the dichoric mirrors.

Darryl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trini.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	5845  
Old 4th Oct 2006, 1:39 pm   #17
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Darryl, that's a great picture! The one I saw was a generally similar shape (that may be inevitable if you are trying to arrange 3x CRTs) but with a metal frame and 14" rectangular CRTs.
Old 4th Oct 2006, 2:40 pm   #18
tubesrule
Hexode

I got to crawl around this one a couple of years back. It is very "lab prototype" in construction. Nothing is finished off, and even the cabinet is just spray painted plywood. Definitely for concept approval (or disapproval) only.

Darryl
Old 4th Oct 2006, 3:45 pm   #19
tubesrule
Hexode

I was just poking my nose around to see how it was constructed. I did notice that many cables seemed to be unplugged, although everything appeared to be intact. I assume it could be made operational, but it is my understanding that these were not NTSC compatible sets, so you would either have to drive it directly with RGB or come up with an appropriate encoder.
Here's a picture of the front.

Darryl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Triniscope front.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	5849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Triniscope closed.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	5850  
Old 4th Oct 2006, 4:26 pm   #20
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I would assume RGB. It might have been made before NTSC was finalised. Even if it's later, RGB would have been more useful in the lab and the NTSC>RGB decoder might well have been another hefty crate of stuff.
Closed Thread