UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Old 5th Jul 2020, 10:43 am   #1
Colin Boggis
Pentode

Default Dalo Pen replacement

Like many others I've been disappointed with several of the current offerings as Dalo replacements. I have found most, particularly those that are actually "permanent markers" do not prevent etchant damaging (pitting) the wanted copper areas and this is a big problem on very fine tracks. Even the Cif etchant resist pen sold by CPC Farnell is not totally reliable.
I believe I have at long last found a true Dalo replacement - it's called "Pen-touch" and is a paint(not ink) pen. It's available in several widths from Amazon.
I find the fine tip best as it allows the drafting of narrow tracks and larger areas can be filled in if needed. This is a pump action pen with a plastic tip, not just hole at the end of a narrow metal tube. It doesn't run and the paint is quite dense.
Not very expensive either 4.99 including post.
See attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	210353  

Last edited by Colin Boggis; 5th Jul 2020 at 10:45 am. Reason: grammar/spelling correction
Colin Boggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2020, 6:48 am   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Nonode

Default Re: Dalo Pen replacement

Interesting; I've still got one or two Dalos in my secret place, but cannot count on them seeing me out. That particular pen appears to be widely available; I don't buy from the site you mention.

What are you using to clean it off (acetone)?

B
Old 13th Jul 2020, 6:52 pm   #3
wireless_john
Hexode

That's good to know. I have a couple of original Dalo pens that are still working but I don't know for how much longer!

John
Old 14th Jul 2020, 9:12 pm   #4
wireless_john
Hexode

I have just made a small PCB with a Sharpie pen. It was surprisingly good! I was mentally prepared to have to do it again with a Dalo pen, but no, it was OK.

The Pen-touch sounds good though, especially for fine lines so I'll be ordering one of those for the next one I make.

John