UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2021, 11:40 am   #1
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Component wax

Is the wax used on coils etc. ordinary bees wax? I have some wound components that I want to to tidy up and re-dip. In the past I've used candle wax diluted with a little olive oil (!) as it sets too hard and flaky otherwise, but I doubt that's an ideal combination.

Thanks

Ian
Old 13th Jan 2021, 1:17 pm   #2
G.Castle
Heptode

Default Re: Component wax

Bees wax is good. It does need to have the moisture driven out for electrical use by heating to just about melting point, (dont overheat!), and kept at that temperature for a couple of hours.

Beeswax is firmer than candle wax, and will withstand higher temperatures, paraffin wax or tallow isn't ideal for electrical work.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 1:20 pm   #3
Julesomega
Nonode

I assumed it was paraffin wax owing nothing to bees. I wonder if that wax used to cover individual small cheeses is a suitable substitute - it comes in several colours

It's good here
Old 13th Jan 2021, 1:24 pm   #4
G.Castle
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
I assumed it was paraffin wax owing nothing to bees. I wonder if that wax used to cover individual small cheeses is a suitable substitute - it comes in several colours
Softens at very low temperatures and has a high moisture content, probably just refined tallow.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 2:05 pm   #5

I got SWMBO a candle making kit for Christmas, it contains soy wax, I wonder if that would be better?

Old 13th Jan 2021, 3:22 pm   #6
G.Castle
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I got SHMBO a candle making kit for christmas, it contains soy wax, I wonder if that would be better?
The fumes will be less dangerous to breathe with the soy wax when the component it's coating finally burns up....
Old 13th Jan 2021, 10:58 pm   #7
regenfreak
Heptode

Oil based polyurethane varnish? It is water repellant and harden well to fix coils. It is known not to affect the Q much. Buy a cheap set of small paint brushes from a pound shop as the brush has to be thrown away for single application.
Old 13th Jan 2021, 11:16 pm   #8
suebutcher
Heptode

Carnauba wax? An artist friend gave me a block of this he'd used for modelling. It's good for recoating old components because it's stickier and more flexible than paraffin wax.