UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2020, 12:24 pm   #1
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Possible WWII fuel gauge

This is a request for help in identifying an aircraft fuel gauge, perhaps a little unusual for this forum. The gauge has a card inside the removable rear cover staing to use 3 particular contacts. Engraved into the display disc on the left are references 418FG with a B or 8 above it. On the right it has A or perhaps a small crows foot above 3718E2. The gauge is for 'no4 wing tank' port and starboard. It is missing the glass and 2 pointers but otherwise appears to be complete. Hopefully an ex RAF or air industry forum member might recognise the gauge from my attached image.
Thanks.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2721.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	217780  
Old 13th Oct 2020, 12:54 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Possible WWII fuel gauge

Mosquito ?:

http://spitfirespares.co.uk/Instrume...auges%208.html

Lawrence.
Old 13th Oct 2020, 1:32 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

WWII instruments and the glass missing are especially concerning regarding radium-loaded paint. Be careful, take precautions.

They still have a beach in a town 6 miles from me cordoned off. It was used to dump scrap from an instrument servicing place. They keep finding highly active particles. There are councillors demanding when the beach will be decontaminated.

David
Old 13th Oct 2020, 2:10 pm   #4
Neutrino
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Mosquito ?:
Lawrence.
Brilliant! It even says ‘Out of stock more wanted’.

Here’s a high resolution photo of the cockpit including said gauge:
http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/coc...r/WWII-20.html

David
Old 13th Oct 2020, 2:28 pm   #5
G6ONEDave
Octode

Well what a result and so fast too. I did find an image of the Mosquito cockpit but it only showed the middle console with nothing to the sides. Top marks to both 'ms660 Lawrence' and 'Neutrino David'.

Yes Radio Wrangler David, I will be careful with this item. Although I have probably been exposed to various forms of Radium over the years with such things as wrist watch and clock dials and of course certain radio equipment. At least I'm not liking my fingers or paint brushes as seen in certain past trades.

Thank you all. Moderators this thread can now be closed thanks.
Dave
Closed Thread