UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2017, 6:03 pm   #1
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Fitting metal drive cables

This trick is not original to me, I read it first, I think, in the service manual for an Anadex printer. But it has saved me a lot of time over the years, and a lot of 4-letter words.

If you have a drive using a metal cable fitted round drums and pulleys etc. as is used for the carriage motion in printers, plotters, chart recorders, etc then it is a right pain to assemble. The cable is springy, will not stay where you want it and you end up needing at least 4 hands. I am not sure if any radios used such a system, but it may help with tuning drives in some cases too.

The solution is what I call a 'Terry Clip' and which seems to go under the name of 'Tool Clip' if it's not the genuine article. After fitting the drive wire round one of the drums, clip one of those clips round it to hold it in place. You can now normally route the rest without problems. After getting the drive assembled, pull the clips off and put them back in the store of useful bits.
Old 26th Mar 2017, 6:59 pm   #2

Default Re: Fitting metal drive cables

I thought this would be a Philips drive chord thread, I use clothes pegs for a lot of holding in place stuff (don't tell the wife).

Closed Thread