UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2020, 8:50 pm   #21
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Advice on Vintage World band radios

Whilst each recommendation is worthy of consideration, the Selena isn't one I would support if only that the particular analogue scale makes searching for a particular frequency near impossible. On my examples there are also many issues with scale alignment which I couldn't correct.

I have a Philips D2935 which is dual conversion, has a digital display and has an excellent SW sensitivity but MW was spoilt by digital noise until extra screening was fitted. Unfortunately, many examples also suffer from membrane fatigue on the direct frequency input keyboard although one is on eBay for 80 squid which looks OK. The sound quality is very good.

There are several "SW radios" on ebay, some at a reasonable price and members experience plus many many reviews should help.

The early Grundigs have sound quality second to none but it is down to is an analogue scale sufficient for the task?

Have a look at SWLing.com. The site is an eye opener on what is available.

Chris
Old 26th Mar 2020, 9:09 pm   #22
Radio Wrangler

If you go for one of the more serious 'communications receivers' you'll get better screening from all the domestic hash, and the FRG7 and R1000 mentioned earlier, along with a lot of other models are fully depreciated, so if you find yourself not using it, you can sell it for what you paid and the whole exercise is therefore zero cost. You'll also get more precise tuning and the ability to return to exact frequencies, and tuning knobs that don't require safe-cracker's fingers/

I'd only go for one of the portable 'world radio' type sets if portability was something I needed.

There are amateur radio clubs in most areas, and some of them have a collection of spare receivers which can be loaned to people with a new interest so that they can try things out. Not feasible just at the moment, but hopefully normality will break out again.

David
Old 26th Mar 2020, 9:29 pm   #23
Northyorks1
Heptode

I am looking at all recommendations and have liked everything I have seen up to now, and that is a good point Paul that they have fully depreciated, so would not lose out financially.

Ian
Old 26th Mar 2020, 9:30 pm   #24
peterpiper
Tetrode

Hi Ian, no one has yet mentioned aerials. After much faffing about with home made loops I finally bought a Wellbrook loop, better than my efforts and it resists local interference quite well. I,ve got it on a rotator in the loft but thats not really necessary as its not that directional Other aerial is a PA0RDT mini whip on a pole outside. My choice of radio is the Trio R5000, No broadcast FM and an ext. speaker needed for music.

Peter
Old 26th Mar 2020, 9:45 pm   #25
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper View Post
Hi Ian, no one has yet mentioned aerials.
Peter

yes they did - see post #15, referring to loops, as per your Wellbrook

B
Old 26th Mar 2020, 9:47 pm   #26
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

To me, the #1 question would be "what do you want to listen to on these radios?"

As others have noted, there's vastly fewer SW broadcast-stations on-air these days.

Amateurs are still out there - but we all use SSB - so your radio needs a BFO/CIO, a product-detector, decentky narrow [ideally selectable-sideband] IF filtering, and - ideally - a synthesized local-oscillator if you want to avoid having to continually have your hand on the tuning-knob in order to 'hold' a station.

Maybe look at something like a Drake SSR1 - https://www.qsl.net/pa2ohh/06ssr1.htm or Barlow-Wadley XCR30 - https://www.qsl.net/pa2ohh/06barlow.htm
Old 26th Mar 2020, 10:00 pm   #27
peterpiper
Tetrode

Sorry G6 I missed that but agree with the point made. For a tryout of SWLing google Twente SDR. Its a dutch SDR that you can log onto and tune, for free! No I dont know how it works eitherĀ¬

Peter
Old 11th Apr 2020, 12:25 pm   #28
shortwaverx
Triode

Try to find a Hacker Helmsman. They are a bit deaf but the audio quality is superb!

Ian
Closed Thread