UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2020, 11:40 pm   #21
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Stripboard warning

Ii use to own a Canon inkjet printer and with the refill kits came a drill with a small handle to drill into the cartridge. I've repurposed these to cut tracks- just the right size.
Old 16th Feb 2020, 11:05 am   #22
mark2collection
Hexode

A chap at work has been using some of the old brown stuff to cobble together 'an idea'. No idea where he found it (WEEE skip?) but the language!

I've never heard the like

Mr B's would be the preferred choice, that and the stuff which just has pads, you then have to join the pads with tinned copper wire (et al). May suit some applications carrying a bit more oooomph.

Mark
Old 16th Feb 2020, 11:17 am   #23
MrBungle
Dekatron

If I'm honest I rarely actually use the stripboard. Most of the ideas start on a solderless board if they are low frequency and end up on a custom PCB now they are so cheap. Anything which requires high frequency, high voltage or high current goes dead bug on plain FR4.
Old 16th Feb 2020, 5:44 pm   #24
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'm still a fan of stripboard: as well as the traditional Veroboard-type with copper strips all the way across, in times-past I built quite a few logic-circuits using TTL and a kind of FR4 board that had sets of 16-pin DIL outlines with the 'tracks' from each pin on each chip extending outwards for 3 or 4 holes. There was a kind of turret-tag that could be pushed into the holes, soldered on the underside, and then the bit that stuck through could take 4 or 5 wire-wraps.
It also had dedicated longitudinal power/ground rails. Even better there was a special kind of ceramic decoupling-capacitor presented as a flat strip with upstanding 'legs' at the same 16-pin DIL power-pin spacing - these were great because they could be fitted _underneath_ the DIL chips before you soldered the chips in place, providing decoupling directly at the power/ground pins.

I built a number of TTL/RS232/ECL interfaces for things like a 9-track 6250BPI high-speed tape-drive to a PDP11 using this sort of approach.
Old 16th Feb 2020, 7:50 pm   #25
McMurdo
Dekatron

Here is a closeup of the official Vero spot face cutter, part number 22-0239
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vero.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	199096  
Old 16th Feb 2020, 10:15 pm   #26
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Kevin, the blue handle is familiar but must confess I've never seen that type of tip.
I do have the yellow and orange ones (different sizes) that can be used to insert Vero pins into the holes.

Ed
Old 17th Feb 2020, 1:30 am   #27
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

My spot-face cutter was like Kevin's, but without the spike.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 1:55 am   #28
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
Here is a closeup of the official Vero spot face cutter, part number 22-0239
That's the later one I mentioned. The tip of the earlier type was more like a short straight fluted drill bit. The earlier one looked the part better but worked no better and probably cost a few pence more to manufacture.

Looked more like pic attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6507_VGA.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	199281  
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 19th Feb 2020 at 2:01 am.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 8:22 pm   #29
ionburn
Heptode

That's the one I have. A lot less harsher on the hand to use than a drill bit.
Old 29th Feb 2020, 2:21 pm   #30
Oldcodger
Nonode

Years ago Jetpac used to include a small drill for helping to refill printer cartridges. I've still got one of two and I find them ideal for cutting strip board ( co incidentally th stuff I've got was from Maplin). But I always check tracks with meter. Bit more time consuming, but it's worth it.
For cleaning the board prior to soldering , I use a sanding block for PCB ( EX MAPLIN) , and then a wipe over with flux ( soldering paste on tub).
When I find circuit works, I wash down with meths and a scrub from an old paintbrush ( Aldi vintage) gets rid of any excess.
often I've found that something ( possibly flux) causes green on the points where the wire is soldered on. Many sprays but I use car clear lacquer (mainly because I've got a tin handy from refurbishing cheapo door numbers).
I used to find that an easy way of inserting single sided pins ( i.e. ones designed to stick up from the board face to provide test / termination points ) was to push them in by hand and then use a soldering iron to push them home.
Old 10th Mar 2020, 8:54 pm   #31
Slothie
Octode

One tip for veroboard (or indeed any copper laminate pcb) after cleaning off the tarnish is to spray it with hairspray. Preferably non-perfumed! Its a very light laquer that dissapears at soldering tempetatutes so acts as a sort of flux. And of course, someone at home may just have some you could "borrow" it does rub off but usually sticks around for a few weeks if youre experimenting, cleaning vero after youve soldered onto it is fiddly.
Old 13th Mar 2020, 4:04 am   #32
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothie View Post
One tip for veroboard (or indeed any copper laminate pcb) after cleaning off the tarnish is to spray it with hairspray.
I suspect that this apparent effect could vary from one brand to another, depending on the chemical make up of the product.

Silcones are a common component of hairsprays, e.g. methicone. If that breaks down on heating, it could leave a layer of silica on the copper, and that sounds like a risky way forward.

B
Old 13th Mar 2020, 12:13 pm   #33
Slothie
Octode

Its a tip from a pretty old magazine from when i was st school in the 70s so perhaps you're right. That said about 3 years ago i used some really cheap hairspray from a poundshop on some PCB's I was making and had no problems. Perhaps nowadays it might be safer to use a flux spray if you have a non-corrosive one.
Old 14th Mar 2020, 7:32 pm   #34
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

My approach has always been to rub-down Veroboard/Verostrip and its clones with a genuine Brilloâ„¢ pad before use.

Then after doing the soldery-thing, de-flux in an ultrasonic bath and then stick it under an IR heater for a couple of hours to dry, followed by a spray on the solder-side with a commercial conformal-coating.

Why mess around with hairspray when proper conformal-coating sprays are cheap - and they can be soldered-through if you subsequently need to make circuit modifications.
Old 14th Mar 2020, 10:33 pm   #35
Slothie
Octode

Conformal coating sprays have only been cheap in recent years. And you can't get it in Tesco or from your wife's bathroom shelf
Closed Thread