UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2020, 7:26 pm   #1
1100 man
Octode

Default Hitachi C14D24 TV/DVD

Sorry, this does seem a bit modern for this section but it is a CRT TV, so maybe I'll get away with it!

I found this TV/DVD combo at the side of the road a while back complete with remote & instruction book!

To my eternal shame, I don't have a working 405 set to hand, so I've pressed this thing into service & hooked it up to my 3v29.

The switching point & general disturbance is visible at the bottom of the screen. Sure enough, with a test card, the castellations only just fill the screen which is no good for a VCR!

So I need to adjust the height. On inspection, there are no presets inside. I ask you, what earthly good is a TV with no presets?

I assume this has a service mode to access the adjustments? Does anyone know how to access it?

Many thanks
Nick
Old 28th Mar 2020, 7:55 pm   #2
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Re: Hitachi C14D24 TV/DVD

I’ve had a google and there’s a Russian page, after translation :-

”What about MENU 4 7 2 5? Or 0 5 2 6 9 6 + MENU“

HTH,

Kev
Old 28th Mar 2020, 9:17 pm   #3
Red to black
Nonode

I think this uses the Vestal 11AK46 chassis, have a look at the rating/model number plate (better still post a pic of it), so MENU 4 7 2 5 sounds about right.
The second code listed above was for quite a few Philips chassis of the time.

A search under Vestal 11AK46 will give more results than searching under the Hitachi model.
Old 28th Mar 2020, 9:25 pm   #4
1100 man
Octode

Thanks Kev,

Menu 4725 does bring up a menu with settings. Everything can be selected & adjusted. So the greyscale controls WR, WG, WB etc have an effect. Nothing else does though.
We have:
OSD
IF1
IF2
IF3
IF4
AGC
VLIN
RGBH
VSOF
VPOF
HSOF
HPOF
HTOF and then the greyscale controls.

All of the above can be adjusted: the numbers go up & down, but nothing happens.
All I want to do is shift the picture down 1/4" or increase the height a bit. Grrr..

Many thanks for your research- most appreciated
Cheers
Nick
Old 28th Mar 2020, 9:25 pm   #5
nigelr2000
Heptode

Check the elctrolytics in the frame output stage a 100mf bootstrap springs to mind but I may be wrong, causes the height to reduce and eventually kills the frame chip
Old 28th Mar 2020, 9:47 pm   #6
1100 man
Octode

RTB- You have cracked it!!

Googling the Vestel 11AK46 brought up some complete gobbledegook translated from a different language. There was mention of a 'geometry sub menu' accessed by pressing the green button.

Sure enough, press green and there it is. Vertical position & height, now perfectly adjusted. I don't see why it can't rotate the scan coils slightly for me as well- I'm going to have to take the back off to do that!

So the complete sequence is MENU, followed by 4725 and then the green button to bring up the geometry menu.

Brilliant. I can now watch the 'Good life' from VHS (well at least the VCR is vintage!) without seeing the switching point!

Many thanks everyone
Cheers
Nick
Closed Thread